Windows 10: Need To Replace 9-Year-Old Netgear Router

Discus and support Need To Replace 9-Year-Old Netgear Router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I'm looking for a replacement router to replace a 9-year-old Netgear WNL3500L. It hasn't been kept up-to-date (no firmware) and therefore is not as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TraceyW, Jan 25, 2021.

1. TraceyW Win User

Need To Replace 9-Year-Old Netgear Router

Hi
    I'm looking for a replacement router to replace a 9-year-old Netgear WNL3500L. It hasn't been kept up-to-date (no firmware) and therefore is not as secure as I would like.

About a year ago I bought an Asus AC68U but couldn't get it working on my husbands PC so reinstated the Netgear (I was told on another forum that I'd have to do a clean install of Windows). I now have reason to believe the router may be playing up and I'm looking into getting a new router. I understand I could get a mesh system or what is apparently now termed a WiFi Router. This would be my preferred option and we don't have any portable gadgets that we use on a regular enough basis.
    I'm looking for a router that would do just the basic stuff. We both spend a lot of time on the internet and every Saturday I send about 100GB to a spare PC we have upstairs. Occasionally my husband also downloads very big files (big to us anyway - approx 8GB). We also need to connect Sky Q to the router which I believe is done wirelessly. We've also looked into using a VPN but for the moment we're taking it no further but I want to have that option available if we change our minds. Otherwise its just general surfing that we do. Also we both only have desktop PCs, no laptops of any description. We therefore don't really feel we can justify a device costing a fortune. At present I'm looking at two routers:
    1. D-Link AC2600 MU-MIMO Gigabit Router which I've seen recommended in a couple of places.
    2. TP-Link Archer AC2300 MU-MIMO. Not seen this recommended but having read a review on Tom's Hardware it seems it would more than meet our needs. I think this would be my preferred option at present.
    I am wondering what folk may know about these routers or perhaps they would recommend something different (pref costing no more than 150).
    Any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks.
    Tracey

PS Windows 10 20H2 (me); Windows 10 2004 (husband)

:)

TraceyW, Jan 25, 2021
  2. HWM72 Win User

Router Problem

Our computers are on Windows 10 and one keeps getting kicked off our Network. Had no problems when using Windows 8.1. Any suggestions? We bought a new Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 to replace our two year old Netgear router thinking that would solve the
    problem.

HWM72, Jan 25, 2021
  3. Netgear Router

Hi i am currently using my own wireless router ( Netgear DG834G v3 ) i seem to get a faster synce speed with this one than any of the routers from my Internet provider i was told once years ago that it was because of the chip that was in it, I even tried a Netgear N router but the speed was slower than my old one, does anyone know of a more modern router (that uses the same chip) as the wireless cover is not very good.

cookiemonster, Jan 25, 2021
  4. Need To Replace 9-Year-Old Netgear Router

Why Netgear Router Login Page not Working?

Can anyone please suggest that why is my Netgear Router Login Page routerlogin.net not working? I tried to access this webpage with the default IP address 192.168.0.1
    and 192.168.1.1 but i am unable to access the login page of Netgear Router. Please help.

MellisaJohnson, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

Need To Replace 9-Year-Old Netgear Router

1. Need To Replace 9-Year-Old Netgear Router - Similar Threads - Need Replace Old

2. Netgear Router login not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Netgear Router login not working: Your Netgear administrator password is not working How To Fix Netgear Router Admin Password Not Working 1. Recheck the router login details First, make sure you are entering the correct default password for your Netgear Router login not working. The Netgear Router Password...
  3. Netgear router 6700v3 login

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Netgear router 6700v3 login: Netgear router 6700v3 log in keeps saying I do not have Javascript it is there by default.How do I solve this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/netgear-router-6700v3-login/b5d23108-0750-4a64-9f75-92103811b53e
  4. SMB 1.0 and my Netgear router (with NAS hardware)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB 1.0 and my Netgear router (with NAS hardware): I have a Drobo 5N NAS where I keep backups. I couldn't get to it one day and found out that Windows 10 went to SMB v2.0 (if I check SMB v1.0 I can see and use the drive). I also found out that there are some security risks in using SMB v1.0. My router doesn't support SMB...
  5. Old Wifi Router: NetGear WNR2000-100NAS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old Wifi Router: NetGear WNR2000-100NAS: Is there a way to make this work with Windows 10? Changing settings, perhaps? If not, please recommend a small router for an apartment. Barely 500 sq ft....
  6. Laptop cannot find Netgear wireless router

Laptop cannot find Netgear wireless router: Netgear Nighthawk wireless connection does not show up in wireless network list. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-cannot-find-netgear-wireless-router/85ce8ccf-fbab-4d7a-945f-06fa190d937c
  7. MICROSOFT SAYS ROUTER SET FOR WEP NEEDS TO BE REPLACED

MICROSOFT SAYS ROUTER SET FOR WEP NEEDS TO BE REPLACED: AFTER REINSTALLING WINDOWS 10 ON MY LENOVO LAPTOP IDEAPADP400 MY INTERNET CONNECTION SAYS THE LAPTOP HAS NO INTERNET CONNECTION AND THE ROUTER USING WEP ENCRYPTION SHOULD BE REPLACED. IS THIS A MICROSOFT DRIVER PROBLEM OR A LENOVO DRIVER PROBLEM?...
  8. Can't enable 5ghz on Netgear router

Can't enable 5ghz on Netgear router: I can't figure it out. Unless it's and either or option. Would I have to disable 2.4ghz to enable 5ghz? [img] [img] Nevermind, I got it. Under advanced setup I didn't have the signal enabled. 101493
  9. Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Modem/Router

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Modem/Router: Am considering changing ISP from DSL to cable/broadband. Anyone have any experience with one of these or can offer a "better" alternative: https://www.netgear.com/home/product...x#tab-features Change may or may not happen. I still have some questions for the potential...
  10. Netgear R7000, R6400, and R8000 routers vulnerable

in Windows 10 News
    Netgear R7000, R6400, and R8000 routers vulnerable: NETGEAR is aware of the security issue #582384 that allows unauthenticated web pages to pass form input directly to the command-line interface. A remote attacker can potentially inject arbitrary commands which are then executed by the system. NETGEAR has tested the...