Windows 10: need to replace my motherboard. Can I re-use the windows 10 license?

Discus and support need to replace my motherboard. Can I re-use the windows 10 license? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I need to replace my motherboard, and I wish to know - I am able to re-use the windows 10 license? The online record in my microsoft account calls it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stanmag, Jul 29, 2020.

1. stanmag Win User

need to replace my motherboard. Can I re-use the windows 10 license?

I need to replace my motherboard, and I wish to know - I am able to re-use the windows 10 license?

The online record in my microsoft account calls it a retail windows 10 professional version.

Also does it matter if the HDD is the same or not once I need to change the motherboard anyway?

I want to know if the choice of what to buy will impact the license eligibility

Thanks

:)

stanmag, Jul 29, 2020

2. Can I re-activate Windows 10 license after replacing defective motherboard?

Hello,

The mother board on my system failed. The system disk is functioning, as I was able to read and write the disk with a different system.

Can I re-activate the Windows 10 license after replacing the defective motherboard? A newer generation of the motherboard will need to be installed, as the defective motherboard is no longer available.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike in Southern NH, Jul 29, 2020
  3. AFS87 Win User
    Windows 10 Re-activation after replacing motherboard

Hello,

I had a full Home Premium (non-OEM) version of Windows 7, and took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 in August.

MY motherboard (an old AM2+ !) was acting up, and so I replaced the Motherboard and RAM today, and now I need to re-activate Windows 10.

I can see that other users have been able to sort this through tech support, but the person I spoke to there advised me that I should have replaced my motherboard before upgrading to Windows 10, and that all I can do is re-install Windows 7, and then upgrade
    again. I've pointed out that I didn't choose the timing of my replacement Motherboard, and that I'm keen not to have to go through two more installations of the two versions of Windows.

Is this really correct?

Thanks for any help.

AFS87, Jul 29, 2020
  4. need to replace my motherboard. Can I re-use the windows 10 license?

My laptop motherboard needs to be replaced, will I lose my Windows 10 entitlement?

I have a Dell Latitude D630 that will not display video on the built-in LCD. I've done all the troubleshooting and replaced hardware only to be left at needing to replace the motherboard. It had Windows 7 Pro OEM on it when I bought it secondhand and I
    upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. My question is, if I replace the motherboard (and with it, the TPM) will I be able to re-activate Windows 10 Pro. The CPU, HDD, RAM and optical drive hardware will be the same.

I also have the opportunity to replace the motherboard with one equipped with an nVidia video chip instead of the embedded intel graphics. Will this also make a difference?

Cory Daehn, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

need to replace my motherboard. Can I re-use the windows 10 license?

1. need to replace my motherboard. Can I re-use the windows 10 license? - Similar Threads - need replace motherboard

2. Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7090 that has a Windows 10 Pro OEM license key. It has a 256GB SSD which is not enough room for what I need. My old computer, Dell Inspiron 3847, has an 8TB HDD with a Windows 10 Pro Retail License. Can I put the 8TB HDD in the...
  3. Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7090 that has a Windows 10 Pro OEM license key. It has a 256GB SSD which is not enough room for what I need. My old computer, Dell Inspiron 3847, has an 8TB HDD with a Windows 10 Pro Retail License. Can I put the 8TB HDD in the...
  4. Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I keep windows 10 electronic license when replacing motherboard?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I keep windows 10 electronic license when replacing motherboard?: Will windows 10 electronic license transfer to a new motherboard in same computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-keep-windows-10-electronic-license-when/f868e97f-aa83-453b-8969-752f8daf61e4
  6. Is it possible to replace the motherboard and CPU without the need to re-install Windows 10?

Is it possible to replace the motherboard and CPU without the need to re-install Windows 10?: Good day. I have purchased a new motherboard and CPU and would like to use the same SSD without having to re-install Windows. My PC is running on a licensed installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 10.0, Build 19041 which is linked to my Microsoft account. Any help greatly...
  7. Windows 10 re-activation after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 re-activation after motherboard replacement.: My ASUS ROG GU502G laptop recently had its motherboard replaced. Upon wiping it and setting it up for another user, I am unable to re-activate Windows 10 due to the old product key being used on the motherboard that was replaced. Is there any way to re-activate windows...
  8. replace motherboard and re-install W10

replace motherboard and re-install W10: Hi All, Excuse the repetition of questions. I seem to go word blind looking at the permutations to same questions. Very basically I am replacing my Motherboard for the same as the one that decided it didn't want to play anymore and just transferring the CPU to that new...
  9. If I replace my Motherboard and CPU do I need a new Windows license?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    If I replace my Motherboard and CPU do I need a new Windows license?: I've checked various sites and the CPU I have on my motherboard is the best it can have, I've had this computer for a long time now and I wanted to upgrade to a new motherboard however there are a few people that say that I would need to purchase Windows 10 again and that...
  10. Motherboard replacement and windows 10 re-activation

Motherboard replacement and windows 10 re-activation: My motherboard died and i had to get a new one, but I didn't know windows 10 wouldn't stay activated. I've had windows 10 since the first week it was given out as a free upgrade. I cannot find any of my old product keys, and I never had a physical one for my copy of windows...