Windows 10: Need to reset a windows laptop without recovery key due to account owner passing

Discus and support Need to reset a windows laptop without recovery key due to account owner passing in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; A loved one has passed and left a windows laptop to my mother in her will. From what I understand I need to reset using a usb drive recovery which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Caroline Bartlett, May 31, 2023.

1. Need to reset a windows laptop without recovery key due to account owner passing

A loved one has passed and left a windows laptop to my mother in her will. From what I understand I need to reset using a usb drive recovery which should allow a reset without using the linked microsoft account. Before I purchase an appropriate usb drive, I want to check: - does my mother need to pay for a new windows package? She was gifted the laptop in the will but I presume software ownership is ended with the owner's passing? - does it matter what windows package the laptop was previously on? We have no idea. Is there a difference in how you reset? Is there anything else we should be do

:)

Caroline Bartlett, May 31, 2023

2. Reset Protection Recovery Key

I have the same issue. I have tried all of my saved recovery keys and none of them seem to work and my device doesn't show up in my devices list anymore. I am the only owner and am part of the windows insider program and since I have tried doing a reset
    it doesn't allow me to pass this spot. super frustrating, especially knowing that I saved all of my recovery keys.

MichealTrujillo, May 31, 2023
  3. Reset Protection Recovery Key

I had to do a hard rest and I have tried all of my saved recovery keys and none of them seem to work and my device doesn't show up in my devices list anymore. I am the only owner and am part of the windows insider
    program and since I have tried doing a reset it doesn't allow me to pass this spot. super frustrating, especially knowing that I saved all of my recovery keys.

MikeTygert, May 31, 2023
  4. Need to reset a windows laptop without recovery key due to account owner passing

reset recovery protection key

Hello Paul,

To further assist you, you need to ask the original owner to reset the device and remove it from their account by following the steps below:

• Go to account.microsoft.com/devices.

• Next to the phone you no longer own, select Remove phone.

• Select the I'm ready to remove my phone check box, note the recovery key, and then select
      Remove. The recovery key will display on the page and will also be emailed to you.

• When you're certain that you have your recovery key saved, select the
      I've kept a copy of the recovery key
      check box, and then select
      Okay

• Forward the recovery key email to your phone recipient.
    If there was no account that was associated with the device, make sure to check your
    Microsoft account.

If the problem still persists, visit the nearest Lumia Care Point Location on your area.

Let us know how it goes.

Timoteo IV Ofr, May 31, 2023
Thema:

Need to reset a windows laptop without recovery key due to account owner passing

1. Need to reset a windows laptop without recovery key due to account owner passing - Similar Threads - Need reset laptop

2. Need to reset a windows laptop without recovery key due to account owner passing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to reset a windows laptop without recovery key due to account owner passing: A loved one has passed and left a windows laptop to my mother in her will. From what I understand I need to reset using a usb drive recovery which should allow a reset without using the linked microsoft account. Before I purchase an appropriate usb drive, I want to check: -...
  3. Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key: An employee was let go at our work. I need to reset their PC but they used Bitlocker. I do not have their recovery key or password to their account. I am trying to fully reset this PC, but Bitlocker will not let me continue. Is there a way to reset this PC and delete their...
  4. Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key: An employee was let go at our work. I need to reset their PC but they used Bitlocker. I do not have their recovery key or password to their account. I am trying to fully reset this PC, but Bitlocker will not let me continue. Is there a way to reset this PC and delete their...
  5. Reset Windows 10 laptop without recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key: Hello. I've seen this topic covered a few times. However, when I hold the volume down key while powering on, the laptop goes to the normal login page. Holding volume up takes me to the Surface UEFI, but volume down does nothing, essentially. Any advice?...
  7. Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key: Hello. I've seen this topic covered a few times. However, when I hold the volume down key while powering on, the laptop goes to the normal login page. Holding volume up takes me to the Surface UEFI, but volume down does nothing, essentially. Any advice?...
  8. Reset Surface 3 Laptop without recovery key

9. Reset without recovery key

Reset without recovery key: I have a surface pro 8. It was unused for a couple of months and ive forgotten my pin and my password. When i try to reset my password it tells me "this requires outside media" so i did what it told me to on some forum and it said i needed the bitlocker recovery key. 1. I...
  10. Need recovery key- to Reset Win10 laptop

Need recovery key- to Reset Win10 laptop: Laptop won't start window 10. Tried several times and it hangs with the dots stopping. I'm at the Blue screen asking: Enter the recovery key-to get going again. It has the Recovery Key ID.. can't find the needed Recovery. On the page suggested...