Windows 10: Need to reset computer that has bitlocker activated - dont have pin

Discus and support Need to reset computer that has bitlocker activated - dont have pin in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We have a computer with Bitlocker (TPM) on it and I use Sophos to track the recovery key. Each time you use the recovery key it resets the key and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chocaholic, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Need to reset computer that has bitlocker activated - dont have pin

We have a computer with Bitlocker (TPM) on it and I use Sophos to track the recovery key. Each time you use the recovery key it resets the key and tells Sophos the new key. We don't have the windows password to log on so we cannot change the boot pin and I need to do a computer reset which will wipe out Sophos as it does a factory reset basically. How do I get the recovery key once the computer has been reset? Will the reset turn off Bitlocker? I am worried that we will lose total access to the PC.

:)

chocaholic, Jul 2, 2018
  2. Ernie San Win User

Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Jul 2, 2018
  3. Bitlocker Blank blue screen at PIN screen

Our organization requires Laptops to be Encrypted with a PIN #. One of our Laptops is giving me trouble. I have Bitlocker turned on and fully encrypted and have require Startup PIN with TPM in the Require additional authentication at startup in GPEDIT. I also have the Enable use of Bitlocker Authentication Requiring preboot Keyboard input on Slates enabled. When turning on the Laptop Bitlocker comes up with the light blue screen where you enter the PIN but the screen is blank. It doesn't say Bitlocker or have a box to enter the PIN #. Now I can just type the pin # and press enter and it works and loads windows as normal. I obviously can't give this Laptop to a user like this.

Anybody have any suggestions as to a resolution to this issue.
    Thank You.

drew22to375, Jul 2, 2018
  4. B0nzo Win User

Need to reset computer that has bitlocker activated - dont have pin

Bitlocker aks for PIN before booting but encryption is not shown activated for drive in Windows

Hi,

I use Windows 10 Pro on a self encrypting Samsung SSD Drive and configured/installed it by following this guide How to Enable BitLocker Hardware Encryption with SSDs • Helge Klein.
    I configured bitlocker to ask for a PIN before booting Windows and the lock symbol in the explorer as well as manage-bde status command showed that bitlocker successfully encrypted system drive C: and really used hardware encryption of the Samsung drive. Everything
    seemed to work fine, but after I updated most of the drivers for my Dell Inspron 15 7559 to the newest version (Support for Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US) bitlocker first asked to enter the recovey key
    because configuration has changed and then the bitlocker symbol in Windows explorer was gone. Also the “activate bitlocker” symbol in the context menu did not appear. I tried to start the graphical interface of the bitlocker management tool but no reaction.
    When I used the commandlet manage-bde I got “ERROR: The volume C: could not be opened by BitLocker. This may be because the volume does not exist, or because it is not a valid BitLocker volume”. But bitlocker kept asking for a pin on bootup and I could not
    access the drive with a Live OS. So the drive still seemed to be encrypted (also using bitlocker recovery mode and executing the manage-bde -status command on c: showed that the drive was encrypted) but Windows did not recognize that after boot. After restoring
    system files by an image and reboot I could access the bitlocker management tool and option in the context menu again. Now bitlocker was not activated on c: but bitlocker just had asked me to enter the pin before booting. If I tried to activate bitlocker now,
    I was asked if I wanted a part or the whole partitation encrypted, which indicates that bitlock did NOT try to use the hardware but a software encryption. So obviously hardware encryption with pre-boot authentication is activated on my system but after booting
    bitlocker in Windows does not show that and offers me to activate bitlocker by using software encryption. How can I restore/reset bitlocker to recognize the encrypted harddisk again and access the settings for my hardware encrypted drive (for example change
    pin etc.)?

Thanks to all in advance!

B0nzo, Jul 2, 2018
Thema:

Need to reset computer that has bitlocker activated - dont have pin

1. Need to reset computer that has bitlocker activated - dont have pin - Similar Threads - Need reset computer

2. Forgot both my PIN and Paswword, only fingerprint works! Dont have reset key, dont have...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forgot both my PIN and Paswword, only fingerprint works! Dont have reset key, dont have...: Forgot both my PIN and Paswword, only fingerprint works! Dont have reset key, dont have security questions. Im on Windows 10 version 22h2 OS 19045.3803 . What do I do?...
  3. Forgot both my PIN and Paswword, only fingerprint works! Dont have reset key, dont have...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgot both my PIN and Paswword, only fingerprint works! Dont have reset key, dont have...: Forgot both my PIN and Paswword, only fingerprint works! Dont have reset key, dont have security questions. Im on Windows 10 version 22h2 OS 19045.3803 . What do I do?...
  4. Dont' have pin code. Can't reset it and Not connected to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dont' have pin code. Can't reset it and Not connected to internet: I open up my laptop and it needs the pin code for me to login. I don't have it. I click on forgot my pin code. It eventually says I need a network connection to be able to reset pin.I can't even get in to my computer to set up a network connection. So what are my options....
  5. Dont' have pin code. Can't reset it and Not connected to internet

Dont' have pin code. Can't reset it and Not connected to internet: I open up my laptop and it needs the pin code for me to login. I don't have it. I click on forgot my pin code. It eventually says I need a network connection to be able to reset pin.I can't even get in to my computer to set up a network connection. So what are my options....
  6. Dont' have pin code. Can't reset it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dont' have pin code. Can't reset it.: I open up my laptop and it needs the pin code for me to login. I don't have it. I click on forgot my pin code and it goes right back to enter my pin code screen. Any help is appreciated....
  7. Dont' have pin code. Can't reset it.

Dont' have pin code. Can't reset it.: I open up my laptop and it needs the pin code for me to login. I don't have it. I click on forgot my pin code and it goes right back to enter my pin code screen. Any help is appreciated....
  8. Need to reset PIN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need to reset PIN: Hi I can't seem to find the correct place to reset my PIN. My user name and password are fine, it's just the PIN I need. Thanks in anticipation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-reset-pin/245c29f6-b250-4d7d-9dd4-291811b0bae4"
  9. Need to reset computer that has bitlocker (TPM) activated

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to reset computer that has bitlocker (TPM) activated: We have a computer with Bitlocker (TPM) on it and I use Sophos to track the recovery key. Each time you use the recovery key it resets the key and tells Sophos the new key. We don't have the windows password to log on so we cannot change the boot pin and I need to do a...
  10. Need to reset computer that has bitlocker activated

in Windows 10 Support
    Need to reset computer that has bitlocker activated: We have a computer with Bitlocker (TPM) on it and I use Sophos to track the recovery key. Each time you use the recovery key it resets the key and tells Sophos the new key. We don't have the windows password to log on so we cannot change the boot pin and I need to do a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to reset windws 10 when user dont have the bitlocker key

2. reset computer with bitlocker