Windows 10: Need to reset local password after having lost domain login capability

Discus and support Need to reset local password after having lost domain login capability in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Windows 10 laptop which, when it boots up, defaults to offering me a domain-based login. Unfortunately, that domain has been taken down... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by gazroobari, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Need to reset local password after having lost domain login capability

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 laptop which, when it boots up, defaults to offering me a domain-based login. Unfortunately, that domain has been taken down and, whilst it is easy to switch to "Other User", I can't recall the password for any of the local login users (even 'Administrator') and don't have a password reset disk.

One option I have, of course, is to activate the Windows 10 "Reset your PC" feature but I'd prefer not to use this sledgehammer approach and lose all my programs/data.

The next thought is that there are various public domain solutions which boot from CD/USB and clear down the password of a chosen local user. Some only offer a CD/DVD solution, and my laptop doesn't have one built-in, although I know how to boot from USB if I need to. I've tried some of the solutions via USB (typically syslinux-based ones):

(a) most say they are free but actually don't allow a password reset until you pay for the software

(b) I've tried one (Trinity Rescue Kit) which boots from USB but then says it can't find its own software

(c) others like Ophcrack seem a bit complicated

(d) some say they don't work with Windows 10 passwords

It's not that I'm unwilling to spend a bit of money on such a solution but I'm a bit sceptical....

I can only think of one other option. I have a second laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I've heard that it should be possible to put a Virtual Machine onto this second laptop which runs an eval version of Win 2016 Server, then create a minimal Active Directory domain on that to which my locked-out laptop could authenticate. I could then create a new local user on the locked out laptop and remove the VM from the working laptop. Does this sound feasible and, if so, could someone give me some simple steps which explain how I get a Win 2016 Server VM onto Win 10 Pro ?

Or is there some other easier/alternative route I may not be aware of that I could try ? I know it is going to take some time, but that's fine.

:)

gazroobari, Dec 19, 2018
  2. P4-630 Win User

How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Dec 19, 2018
  3. Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain

Here are the steps I took. Please tell me if I should have done differently.

1. On the server end add the user and computer to the domain in advance.

2. Fresh install windows 10 and make the first username Admin.

3. Once at desktop rename PC to match PC name on domain i.e. Workstation001.

4. Add computer to mydomain.local and when asked for username and password I entered the credentials for the new user.

5. Restarted the PC and signed into mydomain\newuser without any problems.

However now when I try to access the original local Admin account by typing 'Workstation001\local Admin' as the username and then the password. It keeps saying password invalid.

So I logged back into the domain account and tried resetting the password to Admin and then tried signing in as admin again, still no luck.

Currently there are 2 accounts on the computer one of them is a local/domain account for newuser and the other is a local Admin account which I cannot access.

What kind of glitch is this? Should I have not joined the domain through the original Admin account and instead added a local user to the PC 'newuser' and then sign in as that user locally then add them to the domain through their own local account? I didn't think this was necessary.

bluetea55z, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Need to reset local password after having lost domain login capability

Forgot Local Password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and reset the password for the local account and check.

• Login in to your Microsoft account.

• Press Windows logo key + X key.

• Select Computer Management.

• Click on Local user and group.

• In the right window pane, double click on user’s folder.

• Right click on local user account and select set password and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Need to reset local password after having lost domain login capability

1. Need to reset local password after having lost domain login capability - Similar Threads - Need reset local

2. Need Win11 login password NOT WiFi password for local network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Win11 login password NOT WiFi password for local network.: I have a Win11 desktop PC that I log into using a PIN. I switched to using a PIN about two years ago. Before that, I used a password.I have a Win10 tablet that I set up long before I started using a PIN on my primary Win11 PC, and I can still access the Win11 PC over the...
  3. Need Win11 login password NOT WiFi password for local network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need Win11 login password NOT WiFi password for local network.: I have a Win11 desktop PC that I log into using a PIN. I switched to using a PIN about two years ago. Before that, I used a password.I have a Win10 tablet that I set up long before I started using a PIN on my primary Win11 PC, and I can still access the Win11 PC over the...
  4. Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal: I have a laptop that was domain joined and also had two local accounts. One admin, one user. I removed the pc from the domain and afterwards only the single local user account is left. I have found no way to backdoor into the local admin. There isn't an option to log in to...
  5. Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal: I have a laptop that was domain joined and also had two local accounts. One admin, one user. I removed the pc from the domain and afterwards only the single local user account is left. I have found no way to backdoor into the local admin. There isn't an option to log in to...
  6. Lost Local Admin After Domain Removal

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Reset Local Computer Login Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reset Local Computer Login Password: I forgot my local computer login password for Win 10, but I can use my PIN to login becasue I only login using PIN. Anyway to reset the login password using my PIN? I found it always asks me to verify the current password if I try to create a reset disk or change the...
  8. need to reset password on a local pc

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    need to reset password on a local pc: need to reset password, windows 10, local pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-reset-password-on-a-local-pc/41e920e7-a55b-429a-bece-52fffff2db53
  9. Lost login password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost login password: I have a fusion laptop that my grandson has forgotten password. I did a shift and reatart to get into reseting pc. I selct troubleshoot, then reset this pc, remove everyting, then just remove my files. I get a message additional space is needed on the drive where Windows is...
  10. Domain and Local account login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Domain and Local account login: Hello, I have an Azure joined laptop with my domain account. Also I have a local account on the laptop as well. When I start the device, it logs into the local account first (no password on the local account so signs straight in). To get onto my domain account, I have...