Windows 10: Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible?

Discus and support Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My folder is: MediaID.bin It has all my documents, photos, etc. from a PC that I converted to Win 10 and gave a family member. But I can't seem to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by boidsonly, Jan 24, 2016.

1. boidsonly Win User

Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible?

My folder is:
    MediaID.bin

It has all my documents, photos, etc. from a PC that I converted to Win 10 and gave a family member. But I can't seem to get the file to open on my own Win 10 Pro laptop.
    Is there a program, command or process that will allow to restore all my files to this laptop?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

:)

boidsonly, Jan 24, 2016
  2. rcglider Win User

Win 10 repair disk unable to find Win 10 system image backup

As a workaround to this issue, I have verified that by doing a system image backup from Win 7 and adding the Win 10 partition to the list of partitions (the Win 10 partition appears to be a "data" partition from Win 7 perspective) to be backed up by the
    Win 7 system image backup, I can then restore both Win 7 and Win 10 partitions. The main drawback is I have to restore the Win 7 partition in order to restore the Win 10 partition. I can choose to only restore the Win 7 partition, but not to only restore the
    Win 10 partition.

As a side note, if I restore a Win 7 image backup made before I installed Win 10, then there's no option to restore "Windows 10" from either Win 10 or Win 7 repair. I'm wondering if or how a Win 10 repair would function if restoring to a replaced hard drive.
    If all of the partitions on a hard drive are included during a system image backup, then system image restore is supposed to be able to partition and format a hard drive as part of the repair restore. I have the impression that Win 7 repair restore can do
    this, but I'm not sure if Win 10 repair restore can do this.

rcglider, Jan 24, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    windows 10 update 1511 changed new computer to windows 7?

Yes Windows 10 give you the Windows 7 backup ability, probably so that you can use a file backup created on Win 7 to restore said files to Win 10 but it also does create a backup & a system image of Win 10. In future updates this feature may change or be
    removed but I hope not.

I upgraded from Win 8.1 - Win 10 & have Win 7 backup under control panel.

You could try restarting several times to see if it kickstarts everything or see if you can uninstall the update.

Time Lady, Jan 24, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 24, 2016
  5. boidsonly Win User
    Worked like a charm. Thank you.*Smile

boidsonly, Jan 24, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible? - Similar Threads - Need restore files

2. Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10: The question is about performing a system restore after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7. If one: Upgrades to Windows 10 THEN performs a system restore ... will the system restore with Windows 10 or will it revert back to an earlier version, in this case Win 7? If it...
  3. Win 10 Win 7 Backup Failure 0x800700E1

Win 10 Win 7 Backup Failure 0x800700E1: Hi, I am running win 10 pro 64 bit and am using the win 7 backup process. I backup every week and have been doing this for many years (I am a mainframe dinosaur). Last week I started getting this failure just as the backup was ready to finish (during the system image creation...
  4. Win 10 Backup (7)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Backup (7): Hi, I'm getting a message that Backup skipped two files. I checked the paths and they are invalid. Since I cannot drill down to these two locations in File Manager, I wonder how Backup is selecting them, that is, where is Backup getting this information to attempt to...
  5. Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option: Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error 0x80070013 please advice thanks Cesar Mantilla...
  6. Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup?: I have them both, and I'm beginning to get faith in indexing and I wonder if I need to keep the Windows 7's back up regime. The only problem I have with indexing is it seems to keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger - and I don't know what to do. My entire data...
  7. Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?

Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?: I've been using Backup & Restore on some Win 7 systems but now I have added a new Win 10 PC (from HP). It's not entirely clear to me why I would use the Win 10 File History facility versus Win 7 Backup & Restore. File History looks like a partial backup. I'd prefer a full...
  8. Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups

Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups: I have a multi-boot system, XP Pro (32 bit), XP Pro X64 (64 bit), Win 7 Pro (64 bit), Win 10 Pro (64 bit). Each OS is on a separate hard drive and partition. The C: partition is boot only (no operating system on it). I did a system image backup from Win 10 and also from...
  9. Win 10 and Win 7 File Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 and Win 7 File Sharing: I have one Windows 7 computer on my network that shares a license to the other windows 10 computers. I have been over everything ensuring that share options on both ends are correct. Most of the time all the computers can connect and use the license after the Win 10 PC gets...
  10. Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: My first PC I upgraded did not upgrade to Pro. So I want to download the media for Pro, and upgrade with it. When I go to the MS site to download, it does not offer me a selection of versions to download. Can anyone suggest where to find the Pro Win 10 download, or a...