Windows 10: Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible?

Discus and support Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My folder is: MediaID.bin It has all my documents, photos, etc. from a PC that I converted to Win 10 and gave a family member. But I can't seem to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by boidsonly, Jan 24, 2016.

1. boidsonly Win User

Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible?

My folder is:
    MediaID.bin

It has all my documents, photos, etc. from a PC that I converted to Win 10 and gave a family member. But I can't seem to get the file to open on my own Win 10 Pro laptop.
    Is there a program, command or process that will allow to restore all my files to this laptop?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

:)

boidsonly, Jan 24, 2016
  2. rcglider Win User

Win 10 repair disk unable to find Win 10 system image backup

As a workaround to this issue, I have verified that by doing a system image backup from Win 7 and adding the Win 10 partition to the list of partitions (the Win 10 partition appears to be a "data" partition from Win 7 perspective) to be backed up by the
    Win 7 system image backup, I can then restore both Win 7 and Win 10 partitions. The main drawback is I have to restore the Win 7 partition in order to restore the Win 10 partition. I can choose to only restore the Win 7 partition, but not to only restore the
    Win 10 partition.

As a side note, if I restore a Win 7 image backup made before I installed Win 10, then there's no option to restore "Windows 10" from either Win 10 or Win 7 repair. I'm wondering if or how a Win 10 repair would function if restoring to a replaced hard drive.
    If all of the partitions on a hard drive are included during a system image backup, then system image restore is supposed to be able to partition and format a hard drive as part of the repair restore. I have the impression that Win 7 repair restore can do
    this, but I'm not sure if Win 10 repair restore can do this.

rcglider, Jan 24, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    windows 10 update 1511 changed new computer to windows 7?

Yes Windows 10 give you the Windows 7 backup ability, probably so that you can use a file backup created on Win 7 to restore said files to Win 10 but it also does create a backup & a system image of Win 10. In future updates this feature may change or be
    removed but I hope not.

I upgraded from Win 8.1 - Win 10 & have Win 7 backup under control panel.

You could try restarting several times to see if it kickstarts everything or see if you can uninstall the update.

Time Lady, Jan 24, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 24, 2016
  5. boidsonly Win User
    Worked like a charm. Thank you.*Smile

boidsonly, Jan 24, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible? - Similar Threads - Need restore files

2. Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Xcopy be used for File History and Win 7 Backup and Restore?: I've been attempting to move File History and my Win 7 backups to a new drive. So far I've spent an extraordinary amount of time fighting "can't move file ??" because of verification errors. I'd hate to think of what the Win 7 backup files would bring me....
  3. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  4. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  5. Upgrading from a possibly corrupted Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from a possibly corrupted Win 7 to Win 10: I have a great dell laptop. 10 years old but has an intel i7 and is probably still better than most new computers for under $1k today. I can't download my company's work from home software (Citrix Workplace) and I gather its because I haven't updated my windows in 6 years. My...
  6. Can't get Win 7 backup files to transfer into Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get Win 7 backup files to transfer into Win 10: I regularly backed up Windows 7, but when I tried to restore those files to Windows 10 I failed. The message is: "\\?\Volume{fe3e2aCa-afca-11e9-8293-00d8613863cd}\ADO-PC\Backup Set 2019-06-03-180002\Backup files 1931p" There are of course several backup sets but...
  7. Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10

Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10: The question is about performing a system restore after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7. If one: Upgrades to Windows 10 THEN performs a system restore ... will the system restore with Windows 10 or will it revert back to an earlier version, in this case Win 7? If it...
  8. Win 10 Backup (7)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Backup (7): Hi, I'm getting a message that Backup skipped two files. I checked the paths and they are invalid. Since I cannot drill down to these two locations in File Manager, I wonder how Backup is selecting them, that is, where is Backup getting this information to attempt to...
  9. Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option: Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error 0x80070013 please advice thanks Cesar Mantilla...
  10. Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?: I've been using Backup & Restore on some Win 7 systems but now I have added a new Win 10 PC (from HP). It's not entirely clear to me why I would use the Win 10 File History facility versus Win 7 Backup & Restore. File History looks like a partial backup. I'd prefer a full...