Windows 10: Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over?

Discus and support Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have purchased an OEM laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. The laptop packaging box or label on the back of the laptop did not have a Window 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by joke4me, Sep 25, 2020.

1. joke4me Win User

Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over?

I have purchased an OEM laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. The laptop packaging box or label on the back of the laptop did not have a Window 10 product key listed anywhere. However I've found the product key from command line like so which gives me a 25 digit key

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

I also used the following command to verify my Window 10 is indeed an OEM license and that it's genuine which gives me something like this https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/20e54e99-2fc8-4e0f-a015-77c41424c2f2?upload=true

slmgr.vbs /dlv

This laptop comes with a 256GB SSD and I need to upgrade it to a larger SSD, maybe 500GB or 1TB SSD. However I'm not clear about how the license is tied to this laptop and what happens if I upgrade to a new SSD?

1. I prefer to perform a fresh re-install from a bootable USB rather than clone. Will a clean re-install work with the same product key on the new SSD or do I have to clone the old SSD to the new SSD to retain the license?
    2. Is the license tied to some sort of machine ID and not the SSD that even after changing the SSD, the same product key can still be used to activate Windows 10?
    3. What if the activation does not work, will Microsoft be able to help? I don't want to risk changing the SSD if this sort of thing is not officially allowed by Microsoft

:)

joke4me, Sep 25, 2020

2. Upgrading SSD

Hello,

I recently purchased a used laptop and the main drive does not have enough space to add stuff. It's a 29GB SSD Drive. I want to upgrade it to a larger drive. It's currently running windows 10 pro. I have made a recovery disk on my USB. When I removed the
    old SSD and install a larger SSD is there anything i have to do or do i just attach the USB into the computer at start up and it'll upload the recovery to the new SSD?

CarlosPagan1, Sep 25, 2020
  3. Windows OEM Licensed - SSD Upgrade

Hi guys,

wanna ask, I just bought new laptop with Installed OEM Windows 10 SL inside,

Then I wanna replace my HDD into SSD *upgrade.

So can the OEM licensed used again in the new SSD ? or What should I do to transfer the OEM licensed from the HDD into new SSD, is it possible ? Thanks

Albi Putra, Sep 25, 2020
  4. 56Kruiser Win User

Upgrade to larger ssd problem

I appreciate all the help, folks.

I probably didn't do the best method. I hooked the new SSD drive to USB, then cloned the boot disk from within the PC after booting. Seeing the recommendations, I see a better way to do that.

All this being said, I have pulled the bottom and find that the SSD 'drive' in the computer is actually a Sandisk 128GB stick:

Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over? [​IMG]

The good news is that the 'new' ssd is not a new one, but one I pulled from my old laptop that I parted out. It is a good Samsung EVO drive.

So the computer has no CD/DVD. I presume my course of action should be:

• Get a 512 GB stick (actually what I pictured above)
    • When it arrives, image backup the current boot drive
    • make a recovery USB stick (I presume I can do that...maybe I should give it a try given my failure with the attempt I just made)
    • Boot to the USB
    • Restore to the new installed SSD card

Make sense?

56Kruiser, Sep 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over? - Similar Threads - Need upgrade SSD

2. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  3. How to clone ssd to a larger ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clone ssd to a larger ssd: I am trying to clone my OS and everything on my current ssd to a new ssd, but the software I tried using minitool wizard partition kept trying to get me to upgrade to a pro version even though I had a trial of it....
  4. Move Win10 pro to larger SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Win10 pro to larger SSD: I have read many MSFT and other web sites on how to move Win10 pro to a new larger SSD. But have not been able to successfully move my C: drive.I used diskmgmt.msc to clone my current ~256GB SSD to a new 1TB SSD. But can't figure how to make the new SSD the boot drive. Can...
  5. Move Win10 pro to larger SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Win10 pro to larger SSD: I have read many MSFT and other web sites on how to move Win10 pro to a new larger SSD. But have not been able to successfully move my C: drive.I used diskmgmt.msc to clone my current ~256GB SSD to a new 1TB SSD. But can't figure how to make the new SSD the boot drive. Can...
  6. Move Win10 pro to larger SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to move windows 10 to new larger SSD

How to move windows 10 to new larger SSD: I'm getting a larger SSD for my wife's laptop. How do I transfer Windows 10, the applications and data to the new drive?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-windows-10-to-new-larger-ssd/7506bd26-eb06-4266-9f0d-faa02f841f13
  8. Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading to a Larger M.2 SSD, Windows: Not sure if this is the right sub for this but, I currently have an OMEN b HP 17-inch Gaming Laptop w/ 144Hz Anti-Glare G-Sync Display, with GTX 1060. Series number: 17-an120nr It came installed with a 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive + 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive. I...
  9. Upgrade to larger ssd problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade to larger ssd problem: I used Macrium Reflect to close my ssd boot drive. To test it I changed BIOS to look at usb drive first in boot order. But when it boots it fails. This is a new HP laptop. Is there something I need to do other than clone before it would boot? 100888
  10. How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?

How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?: Hi, I need to upgrade my C drive from 256GB to 1TB. (both are SSD) I want to use Macrium Reflect Free Edition. Can I just create a system image onto an external drive, swap the drives, and reboot to restore the 256GB image onto the new 1TB drive? (instead of having both...