Windows 10: Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling

Discus and support Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The HP Pavilion desktop originally came with Windows 7 and I still have the product key on the sticker. We did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I plan... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by slacker032, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling

The HP Pavilion desktop originally came with Windows 7 and I still have the product key on the sticker. We did the free upgrade to Windows 10.

I plan on using DBAN to completely wipe it before reinstalling Windows 10 so I can sell it to a stranger. How would I go about keeping the licensed Windows 10 that I currently have on the machine?

If I make a Windows 10 USB installer from the same computer, can I activate it on a fresh install even though the license is for Windows 7?

:)

slacker032, Dec 24, 2018
  2. Kursah Win User

Most painless way to reinstall windows 10?

It depends on the junk accumulated honestly, but there are various methods. You can always remove programs, delete download folder, media locations, etc. As some have suggested, keeping some items on a separate internal storage drive is an option as well. Depends on what you have, what your budget is and how you want to handle your system and data.

The method @RejZoR suggests is sound and a method I've used dozens if not hundreds of time with great success in the field. In many cases though the goal is to keep user data intact, and to repair the OS. In place upgrade as it is called is also only doable in that method if you can boot to desktop, if you can't, it is time for some more advanced options or a format & reinstall.

With Windows 8 and 10 there are refresh and reset options that can be leveraged as well. Hold Shift and click Restart to reboot your system, this will get you into the advanced boot menu, which you'll need to choose advanced options (I forget ATM what it is called) and choose one of a couple items, refresh or reset.

Refresh is essentially In Place Upgrade but a little more aggressive as it wipes the Windows Apps and you may need to reinstall programs. Reset is like an OS reinstall, wipes user data, wipes profiles, registry, performs a install from the system image. Often times I'll do this and bypass using a USB key on a system. Though there are instances where these options will not work if a system has a level of corruption that has not been repaired/resolved. Check the OS Repair link in my sig for more info if ya need.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Dec 24, 2018
  3. LaytonJnr Win User
    Reinstalling Windows 10 to sell a PC - is the 'Remove everything' option enough?

Hello,

I'm reinstalling Windows 10 on a laptop to sell. I would normally wipe the hard drive with DBAN and reinstall; however I have seen that Windows 10 has options which seem to do the equivalent and quicker.

Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling ximg_55ba0f72980e4.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.aP64gP_oWF.png

Would any information be recoverable from the 'Remove everything' or 'Restore factory settings' options? Or should I stick to DBAN and use the Windows 10 media creation tool instead?

Many thanks,

Layton

LaytonJnr, Dec 24, 2018
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling

Reinstalling Windows 10 to sell a PC - is the 'Remove everything' option enough?

Restore factory settings do list Removes your personal files, apps and settings, and reinstalls the version of Windows that came on this PC.

So if this isn't true well than just erase the drive and install a clean Windows 10 with all the drivers u need but why should it be true
    @FordGT90Concept ? *Laugh :laugh:

puma99dk|, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling

1. Need to wipe & reinstall Windows 10 on an HP desktop before selling - Similar Threads - Need wipe reinstall

2. Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10: Hello,I have a desktop running Windows 10 and I'm getting ready to sell it. I chose to delete all files from all drives and toggled "clean data" on. At one point in the reset process, I saw a confirmation screen. I forget exactly what it said now but I said yes/confirmed...
  3. Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10: Hello,I have a desktop running Windows 10 and I'm getting ready to sell it. I chose to delete all files from all drives and toggled "clean data" on. At one point in the reset process, I saw a confirmation screen. I forget exactly what it said now but I said yes/confirmed...
  4. Problem with sign in after wiping desktop in preparation to sell Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to Safely Wipe an Android Phone before Selling?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Safely Wipe an Android Phone before Selling?: Hello everyone,I hope this message finds you all well. I am planning to sell my old Android phone, and I want to make sure that all my personal data is completely and securely erased before I do so.I understand the importance of protecting personal information, and I've heard...
  6. How to Safely Wipe an Android Phone before Selling?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Safely Wipe an Android Phone before Selling?: Hello everyone,I hope this message finds you all well. I am planning to sell my old Android phone, and I want to make sure that all my personal data is completely and securely erased before I do so.I understand the importance of protecting personal information, and I've heard...
  7. Reinstalling windows 10 before selling PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling windows 10 before selling PC: Hi there, My device came with windows 10 home. I upgrade it from home to pro via the Microsoft Store, so now my activation page says activated with a digital license linked to MS account. My question is if i decide to sell this PC can i get the original Home edition back...
  8. (Help needed) Selling my PC, just wiped windows and reinstalled it. Is it safe to turn off...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (Help needed) Selling my PC, just wiped windows and reinstalled it. Is it safe to turn off...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/saucy_syrup [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kaa67f/help_needed_selling_my_pc_just_wiped_windows_and/
  9. how to wipe clean hp stream to sell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to wipe clean hp stream to sell: wipe clean hp stream to sell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-wipe-clean-hp-stream-to-sell/812bc9cb-2082-44e6-8a76-4efd55a2f347
  10. Wipe upgraded Windows 10 to sell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wipe upgraded Windows 10 to sell: I'm planning to sell my Surface Pro 3. I upgraded it to Windows 10 (but not the Creators update). I would just like to be sure that if I select the "Remove Everything" (from the "Reset this Computer" screen) that this will not remove my Windows 10. I'm concerned that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dban and reinstal windows 10

2. hp pavilion desktop how do i wipe and reinstall