Windows 10: Need USB Drive help -- wrong forum?

Discus and support Need USB Drive help -- wrong forum? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A search for USB does not turn up any findings. Perhaps I need a different forum. My problem involves the drive letter changes. My entire website is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by noguru11, Aug 23, 2019.

1. noguru11 Win User

Need USB Drive help -- wrong forum?

A search for USB does not turn up any findings. Perhaps I need a different forum.

My problem involves the drive letter changes.

My entire website is on a USB drive. At this time, between my desktop and my laptop, using the same USB, it appears as F: on one, E: on the other; and G: in Windows Explorer.

Although I can work on the site in whichever letter appears, I cannot upload to the remote server.

I'm very nervous about doing anything that might cause the website to totally disappear and/or have none of the letters work. Searches turn up various warnings about changing the letters.

Can anyone advise or point me toward a different source of help? Many thingks.

:)

noguru11, Aug 23, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Aug 23, 2019
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

Need USB Drive help -- wrong forum? nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Aug 23, 2019
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

USB not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue could occur if the flash drive is damage or Windows USB root hub is not working as expected, you can try the troubleshooting steps below to further narrow down to the root cause of the issue.

1. May I know, if the USB is working on another computer?
    2. Which version of Windows is installed on the computer?
    3. Are you aware of any recent changes made on the computer?

I suggest you to check the article
    USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go
    into selective suspend
    , follow the steps on this article and check if this helps you.

If you don’t have any data concern, you can
    format the USB from disk manager
    (Applicable for Windows 10), check the topic
    To format an existing partition (volume) from the article, however you will have to perform this steps on your USB drive. So, make sure the USB is connected when you perform the format, please be careful to select the USB drive, if the steps
    is performed on wrong drive the data on the drive will be wiped.

If you still face the issue, please reply to this post with more information.

Regards,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Need USB Drive help -- wrong forum? - Similar Threads - Need USB Drive

2. I need help with Microsoft Start Community Forums

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with Microsoft Start Community Forums: I am being told that I am violating the guidelines of the Microsoft Start Community forums. When I check I find that I am not. What the hell is the problem? Are you people using an algorithm for your moderator?* Moved from Community Center...
  3. I need help with Microsoft Start Community Forums

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help with Microsoft Start Community Forums: I am being told that I am violating the guidelines of the Microsoft Start Community forums. When I check I find that I am not. What the hell is the problem? Are you people using an algorithm for your moderator?* Moved from Community Center...
  4. This may be the wrong forum; sorry if it is.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This may be the wrong forum; sorry if it is.: This may be the wrong forum; sorry if it is.I just setup a new computer, but now find that if I change the desktop on one for example delete icons, it affects the others. I need them to be different.I use OneDrive to access and synch documents, downloads, pictures etc. BUT I...
  5. This may be the wrong forum; sorry if it is.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This may be the wrong forum; sorry if it is.: This may be the wrong forum; sorry if it is.I just setup a new computer, but now find that if I change the desktop on one for example delete icons, it affects the others. I need them to be different.I use OneDrive to access and synch documents, downloads, pictures etc. BUT I...
  6. new to this forum- need help

in Windows 10 Support
    new to this forum- need help: Hi, I'm glad I found this forum, and I hope someone here can help. I don't have much tech knowledge, and don't understand most of the terminology. FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS I've been having ongoing and often extreme problems with hacking and hacking attempts. It's occurred on...
  7. Wrong characters displaying on forums

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wrong characters displaying on forums: Hi all, I am a member of a forum and someone is asking about errors they are seeing in some posts to the forum. The example that the person gave is: "So for example, typing Don't it comes as Don #&37 t." Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? It hasn't...
  8. Need USB Drive help -- wrong forum?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need USB Drive help -- wrong forum?: A search for USB does not turn up any findings. Perhaps I need a different forum. My problem involves the drive letter changes. My entire Dreamweaver (not cloud) website is on a USB drive. At this time, between my desktop and my laptop, using the same USB, it appears as F:...
  9. Forum Help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Forum Help: Greetings, This post is in the wrong category, because the correct categories aren't working. When I try to ask a question in the "Community Participation Center" by clicking the Submit button, the button, topic, and subtopic goes dim, and the question isn't posted:...
  10. Need help creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help creating a bootable USB drive: Hello all, Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to wipe my C drive and start over with the latest edition of Windows 10 from an ISO disc downloaded from Microsoft. I want to use another program to wipe the partition rather than use the Windows reset function to do it. It's...