Windows 10: Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program

Discus and support Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 10 - I have two instances of an application program open at the same time, each in their own window. The application program in this case is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Blitzkow, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Blitzkow Win User

Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program

Windows 10 - I have two instances of an application program open at the same time, each in their own window. The application program in this case is Family Tree Maker for Windows, Version 2019. I want to do all my updating to instance A and use instance B as a reference. I want an "obvious" visual cue to help me remember which window is the one I make changes in (green theme) and which window is reference only (red theme). My first thought was to look at the accessibility settings. I think I need to be able to customize settings (such as color) at a program level and not at the Windows OS level.

Can you offer alternative solutions for accomplishing the situation I've defined?

:)

Blitzkow, Dec 3, 2019
  2. RicW-nw Win User

Audio Cues for Visually Impaired

Thanks Ian - yes, it seems the stumbling block here is note 6 in your list:-

Please note that the Windows event sounds under Program Events are the only ones that can be modified -

because some of the alert options that used to be available don't appear in this list. Perhaps the only way to escalate this is through feedback as you suggest.

I won't mark this as 'answer' at this stage in case any other suggestions are forthcoming.... Ric.

RicW-nw, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Audio Cues for Visually Impaired

Hi Ric,

We'd like to clarify if you're experiencing problems with the current Windows 10 default sound notification. Do you have problems like the sound isn't as loud as it used to be or some other audio issues?

You can modify the notification sound file for some Windows events by following these steps:

• On the taskbar, right-click Volume and click Sounds.
    • Under Program Events, look for the event that you would like to change the sound.
    • Under Sounds, click the Browse to look for a .wav format sound file that will play when an event happens. Click OK to choose the file.
    • Click OK and then Apply.
    • We also recommend saving the sound scheme for future reference. Under
      Sound Scheme
      , click Save As and type the desired name for the custom sound scheme.
    • Please note that the Windows event sounds under Program Events are the only ones that can be modified.

If you think that there should be more control of what you can modify with the Windows event sounds, then we invite you to post it on our Feedback Hub app. This is to let our developers know what can be improved for future builds of Windows 10. To start
    a discussion, click Start menu or press Windows key on your keyboard and type then click,
    Feedback Hub.

Let us if the suggested steps helped.

Ian Ser, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program

Microsoft Visual 2017 C++ msi wont install.

Hi,

Software conflicts are one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. Based on the error message you provided, an older version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 is blocking the installation. We suggest uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 from the control
    panel before trying to install the new MS Visual 2017. Follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click Programs, then click Programs and Features.
    • Locate Microsoft Visual 2017 C++, then click Uninstall.
    After uninstalling the program, try to install Microsoft Visual 2017 C++ again.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you further.

Martin Bar, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program

1. Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program - Similar Threads - Need visual cue

2. Help needed distinguishing this icon!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help needed distinguishing this icon!: okay so i accidentally changed the srt. file icon by opening it with a app i no longer use and i need your help to figure out what it was. i don't know if it was a default but i'd like it back to how i had it. here's a picture example, maybe someone will recognize it. the...
  3. Windows 10 Launching Multiple Instances of Programs

Windows 10 Launching Multiple Instances of Programs: There must be a setting I need to adjust - sometimes when my mouse gets near the bottom of the screen where the Taskbar is (not sure that's the name of it) multiple instances of the same program will launch. It's very distracting while trying to work. I'm on a laptop -...
  4. Weird connection between Visual FoxPro and Roxio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird connection between Visual FoxPro and Roxio: Hello: I have Windows 10, 64-bit and Office 2010. I spent a great part of yesterday deleting everything "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3" (from file structure, registry, etc.) and it is possible that I deleted something I should not have. However, the result is weird. Note: Roxio...
  5. Weird connection between Visual FoxPro and Roxio

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird connection between Visual FoxPro and Roxio: Hello: I have Windows 10, 64-bit and Office 2010. I spent a great part of yesterday deleting everything "Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3" (from file structure, registry, etc.) and it is possible that I deleted something I should not have. However, the result is weird. Note: Roxio...
  6. Printer pauses between each page

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer pauses between each page: My Brother MFCL9550CDW is supposed to print fast but it pauses between each page. I use windows 10 Any ideas? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-pauses-between-each-page/7b961578-c162-4f43-b4d6-91703b061e1f
  7. Customizing a program's taskbar icon (for all instances)

Customizing a program's taskbar icon (for all instances): I want to customize the icon of a certain program (in this case Firefox). There are many instructions on how to supposedly achieve this by e.g. simply going to any shortcut (in Explorer or Desktop), Properties, Change Icon. Then pinning this shortcut to taskbar puts the...
  8. Need program for switching between windows using scroll wheel

Need program for switching between windows using scroll wheel: I've been looking everywhere for a program that will let me switch between open windows using scroll wheel on the taskbar. I have had one before but can't find it again for the life of me. Any help is greatly appreciated. *Smile 77277
  9. Multiple Instances of Microsoft Visual C++ Installed

Multiple Instances of Microsoft Visual C++ Installed: While doing some house cleaning on my system I noticed there were several instances of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed on my computer according to Control Panel/Programs and Features. The latest is version 2012 installed on 9/28/2016. The others go way back to...
  10. Almost each program freezes...

in Windows 10 Support
    Almost each program freezes...: Hi people of the good life here, Recently I updated Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. First as update, later as clean install. No problems so far. I updated because Windows nags about CWX... According to GWX (Windows 10 download / specs investigator) I guessed Windows 10...