Windows 10: Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program

Discus and support Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 10 - I have two instances of an application program open at the same time, each in their own window. The application program in this case is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Blitzkow, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Blitzkow Win User

Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program

Windows 10 - I have two instances of an application program open at the same time, each in their own window. The application program in this case is Family Tree Maker for Windows, Version 2019. I want to do all my updating to instance A and use instance B as a reference. I want an "obvious" visual cue to help me remember which window is the one I make changes in (green theme) and which window is reference only (red theme). My first thought was to look at the accessibility settings. I think I need to be able to customize settings (such as color) at a program level and not at the Windows OS level.

Can you offer alternative solutions for accomplishing the situation I've defined?

:)

Blitzkow, Dec 3, 2019
  2. RicW-nw Win User

Audio Cues for Visually Impaired

Thanks Ian - yes, it seems the stumbling block here is note 6 in your list:-

Please note that the Windows event sounds under Program Events are the only ones that can be modified -

because some of the alert options that used to be available don't appear in this list. Perhaps the only way to escalate this is through feedback as you suggest.

I won't mark this as 'answer' at this stage in case any other suggestions are forthcoming.... Ric.

RicW-nw, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Audio Cues for Visually Impaired

Hi Ric,

We'd like to clarify if you're experiencing problems with the current Windows 10 default sound notification. Do you have problems like the sound isn't as loud as it used to be or some other audio issues?

You can modify the notification sound file for some Windows events by following these steps:

• On the taskbar, right-click Volume and click Sounds.
    • Under Program Events, look for the event that you would like to change the sound.
    • Under Sounds, click the Browse to look for a .wav format sound file that will play when an event happens. Click OK to choose the file.
    • Click OK and then Apply.
    • We also recommend saving the sound scheme for future reference. Under
      Sound Scheme
      , click Save As and type the desired name for the custom sound scheme.
    • Please note that the Windows event sounds under Program Events are the only ones that can be modified.

If you think that there should be more control of what you can modify with the Windows event sounds, then we invite you to post it on our Feedback Hub app. This is to let our developers know what can be improved for future builds of Windows 10. To start
    a discussion, click Start menu or press Windows key on your keyboard and type then click,
    Feedback Hub.

Let us if the suggested steps helped.

Ian Ser, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program

Microsoft Visual 2017 C++ msi wont install.

Hi,

Software conflicts are one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. Based on the error message you provided, an older version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 is blocking the installation. We suggest uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 from the control
    panel before trying to install the new MS Visual 2017. Follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click Programs, then click Programs and Features.
    • Locate Microsoft Visual 2017 C++, then click Uninstall.
    After uninstalling the program, try to install Microsoft Visual 2017 C++ again.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you further.

Martin Bar, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program

1. Need visual cue to distinguish between each instance of a program - Similar Threads - Need visual cue

2. Microsoft edge parental features can't distinguish between accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft edge parental features can't distinguish between accounts: I created my daughter an account on my PC using her Microsoft account. My own PC account is a local account, not a Microsoft account.Ever since I added my daughters login to the PC, my Edge Chromium browser thinks I'm her, even though I'm signed into the PC as my local...
  3. Microsoft edge parental features can't distinguish between accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft edge parental features can't distinguish between accounts: I created my daughter an account on my PC using her Microsoft account. My own PC account is a local account, not a Microsoft account.Ever since I added my daughters login to the PC, my Edge Chromium browser thinks I'm her, even though I'm signed into the PC as my local...
  4. Microsoft edge parental features can't distinguish between accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple instances of a chat program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple instances of a chat program: Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ? 182603
  6. multiple instances of a chat program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    multiple instances of a chat program: Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ?...
  7. How to make it easier to distinguish between folders and files on desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make it easier to distinguish between folders and files on desktop?: Hi, it is difficult for me to distinguish between files and folders as in Windows, the icon of a file is also shown in each folder. Is there a way to make it easy to distinguish between the two types? For example, on the Mac, folders are in solid color while files look...
  8. Windows Hello cannot distinguish between identical twins.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello cannot distinguish between identical twins.: Hello, I got a new computer recently and it came with a feature I have never had on a laptop before, and this feature is windows hello. I have had computers in the past, some which had finger print sensors, while most of the others had the standard password and pin number...
  9. Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks: My PC has two Gb Ethernet adapters and a WiFi adapter. One of the Ethernet ports is not connected to anything and the other is connected to the router via a Gb switch. The router provides three WiFi networks: KRPMD, KRPMD-5G, and a hidden guest network. I've just replaced...
  10. Help needed distinguishing this icon!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help needed distinguishing this icon!: okay so i accidentally changed the srt. file icon by opening it with a app i no longer use and i need your help to figure out what it was. i don't know if it was a default but i'd like it back to how i had it. here's a picture example, maybe someone will recognize it. the...