Windows 10: Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10

Discus and support Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo S21E-20. I purchased machine new, it came with 8.1 loaded and as soon as it was turned on it said "free upgrade to Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Danwoo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Danwoo Win User

Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10

I have a Lenovo S21E-20. I purchased machine new, it came with 8.1 loaded and as soon as it was turned on it said "free upgrade to Windows 10 available". Due to small SSD memory, could not simply upgrade from installed to Windows 10. I used a clean install using a USB. After installing Windows 10, there was no room left on SSD. So in order to continue, I deleted Windows (old) folder. Now the computer is asking me to go to settings and activate but it will not do so, it is asking for a product key that I do not have.

Is there a way to achieve this activation?

:)

Danwoo, Aug 26, 2015

2. Can I get Windows 10 product key after upgraded?

Hi,

Can I get Windows 10 product key after upgraded Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I think that need product key for reinstall Windows 10 as clean install.

Rose Family, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Activation key blocked (fixed, for me)

Not entering a product key even when asked to is the correct procedure for the upgrade from 8.1. The upgrader will insert a generic key for you and then the computer will be registered as a Windows 10 Device. No product key is needed after that, even
    if you do a clean install. Do not start the computer with the media. Insert the media after the Windows 8.1 desktop appears.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 26, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

The problem is you had to perform the upgrade first, then it win10 would have activated properly. After that you could do a clean instillation and win10 would activate. By doing what you did(Clean Install without the upgrade first) you can't activate Win10. You'll have to go back to win8.1 and upgrade. But given your small SSD that could prevent you from doing this.

The only option I can see is you getting a bigger SSD(120gb+) and reinstalling Win8.1 and then upgrading. 32Gb will not cut it for upgrading to Win10.

Sorry your in this situation.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 26, 2015
  5. You can update to 10 with a 32GB disk no problem, I have done it myself. Most current 8.1 devices with limited storage (32GB or less) will come in a "WIMBoot" configuration. This has caused space problems for installations using the GWX downloader, but using an ISO/USB drive works fine. You may need external USB storage for the system to use during the upgrade to back up your existing files, but I didn't. Of course you're not left with much space afterwards, so I'd recommend doing a clean install after Windows 10 activation.

Danwoo, unfortunately you will need to revert to 8.1. If your system has a recovery partition you can use that, but if you have no recovery media either you'll need to contact Lenovo and explain the problem.

xtcrefugee, Aug 26, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    OH.. ok.. but I would still conceder getting a larger SSD. 32Gb is very small. And I agree with the last part of your post.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Need product key

2. need to purchase product key for windows 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need to purchase product key for windows 8: help me purchase a windows 8 product key so I can upgrade to windows 10. windows 8 is inactive from motherboard, it need activation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-purchase-product-key-for-windows-8/7b0896e5-ac4b-474e-9de3-7600fa5508b0
  3. need to purchase product key for windows 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need to purchase product key for windows 8: help me purchase a windows 8 product key so I can upgrade to windows 10. windows 8 is inactive from motherboard, it need activation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-purchase-product-key-for-windows-8/7b0896e5-ac4b-474e-9de3-7600fa5508b0
  4. Windows 8 Product Key

Windows 8 Product Key: I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 on a VM and also upload the ISO image to Internet Archive but it wants a product key which I don't have. There's also no button to say 'I don't have a product key' like Windows 10 and 11. What should I do?...
  5. Need product key of windows 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need product key of windows 8: Hi Team, I have my personal Laptop with Windows 8 Pre-installed in it and I would like to know the Windows 8 Key of it for re-installing. I would like to perform an update via boot, so need the key. Please help me with the key and find the details below:Product ID --...
  6. Need product key of windows 8

Need product key of windows 8: Hi Team, I have my personal Laptop with Windows 8 Pre-installed in it and I would like to know the Windows 8 Key of it for re-installing. I would like to perform an update via boot, so need the key. Please help me with the key and find the details below:Product ID --...
  7. Need Windows 8 Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Windows 8 Product Key: I bought a laptop with Windows 8 I reimaged to linux. I am looking to go back to Windows 8 since I bought with Windows 8 can I get my Product Key or a New key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-8-product-key/03157af5-6363-463b-9843-98362f1ea03c
  8. Need Windows 8 Product Key

Need Windows 8 Product Key: I bought a laptop with Windows 8 I reimaged to linux. I am looking to go back to Windows 8 since I bought with Windows 8 can I get my Product Key or a New key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-windows-8-product-key/03157af5-6363-463b-9843-98362f1ea03c
  9. Windows 10 product key not working after clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 product key not working after clean install: I installed windows 10 on top of Windows 7, but then did a clean install afterwards from an image on a USB drive. I wrote down the product key from the first install after scraping it with a program. The clean install of 10 went fine, but it will not accept this product...
  10. Which product key is needed for clean install of windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which product key is needed for clean install of windows: Hello, I'm in the process of backing up data and product keys for a fresh install of Windows. Upon digging on google for how to find your windows product key, I found several ways to find it. My HP has a COA sticker with a Windows 7 product key. I also used Produkey, which...