Windows 10: Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10

Discus and support Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo S21E-20. I purchased machine new, it came with 8.1 loaded and as soon as it was turned on it said "free upgrade to Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Danwoo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Danwoo Win User

Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10

I have a Lenovo S21E-20. I purchased machine new, it came with 8.1 loaded and as soon as it was turned on it said "free upgrade to Windows 10 available". Due to small SSD memory, could not simply upgrade from installed to Windows 10. I used a clean install using a USB. After installing Windows 10, there was no room left on SSD. So in order to continue, I deleted Windows (old) folder. Now the computer is asking me to go to settings and activate but it will not do so, it is asking for a product key that I do not have.

Is there a way to achieve this activation?

:)

Danwoo, Aug 26, 2015

2. Can I get Windows 10 product key after upgraded?

Hi,

Can I get Windows 10 product key after upgraded Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? I think that need product key for reinstall Windows 10 as clean install.

Rose Family, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Activation key blocked (fixed, for me)

Not entering a product key even when asked to is the correct procedure for the upgrade from 8.1. The upgrader will insert a generic key for you and then the computer will be registered as a Windows 10 Device. No product key is needed after that, even
    if you do a clean install. Do not start the computer with the media. Insert the media after the Windows 8.1 desktop appears.

Cbarnhorst, Aug 26, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

The problem is you had to perform the upgrade first, then it win10 would have activated properly. After that you could do a clean instillation and win10 would activate. By doing what you did(Clean Install without the upgrade first) you can't activate Win10. You'll have to go back to win8.1 and upgrade. But given your small SSD that could prevent you from doing this.

The only option I can see is you getting a bigger SSD(120gb+) and reinstalling Win8.1 and then upgrading. 32Gb will not cut it for upgrading to Win10.

Sorry your in this situation.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 26, 2015
  5. You can update to 10 with a 32GB disk no problem, I have done it myself. Most current 8.1 devices with limited storage (32GB or less) will come in a "WIMBoot" configuration. This has caused space problems for installations using the GWX downloader, but using an ISO/USB drive works fine. You may need external USB storage for the system to use during the upgrade to back up your existing files, but I didn't. Of course you're not left with much space afterwards, so I'd recommend doing a clean install after Windows 10 activation.

Danwoo, unfortunately you will need to revert to 8.1. If your system has a recovery partition you can use that, but if you have no recovery media either you'll need to contact Lenovo and explain the problem.

xtcrefugee, Aug 26, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    OH.. ok.. but I would still conceder getting a larger SSD. 32Gb is very small. And I agree with the last part of your post.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Windows 8.1 product key after clean install Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Need product key

2. Windows 8, to Windows 10 product key question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 8, to Windows 10 product key question: Hello everyone, I purchased my laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed (32bit). Couple years later I completed the free upgrade to Windows 10 (also 32bit). Now, I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 from 32bit to 64 bit, however, when I am asked to enter the product key, I...
  3. Windows 10 Product Key needed?

Windows 10 Product Key needed?: Windows 10 Product Key needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-product-key-needed/57b78dd6-f111-4e9c-af00-d22ecf452676"
  4. Clean install of Windows 10 - Product Key wont work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install of Windows 10 - Product Key wont work: Hello, I recently built a new PC. My previous version of Windows 10 was installed on my old sata hdd. I upgraded to a new SSD hd and upgraded my motherboard. I ran the install of windows 10 onto my new SSD hd and reformatted my old sata for backup files. When I entered my...
  5. Windows 10 product key not working after clean install

Windows 10 product key not working after clean install: I installed windows 10 on top of Windows 7, but then did a clean install afterwards from an image on a USB drive. I wrote down the product key from the first install after scraping it with a program. The clean install of 10 went fine, but it will not accept this product...
  6. Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install

Extract qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install: First I apologize for asking something I am sure has been asked many times, but cant find a definitive answer. Is there a way to Extract the qualifying windows 7 product key after W10 clean install ? I did a clean install of W10 after a free W10 upgrade installed and...
  7. Lost windows 8 product key to update to 10

Lost windows 8 product key to update to 10: Hi, um a quick question for the forum users ,I installed the windows 10 technical preview back in February and I cannot find the windows cd provided with the laptop when I purchased it. The windows cd key was provided by toshiba so its an rtm version. There is no sticker at...
  8. Which product key is needed for clean install of windows

Which product key is needed for clean install of windows: Hello, I'm in the process of backing up data and product keys for a fresh install of Windows. Upon digging on google for how to find your windows product key, I found several ways to find it. My HP has a COA sticker with a Windows 7 product key. I also used Produkey, which...
  9. Product Key on Clean Install

Product Key on Clean Install: After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish the installation. The clean install is activated. I understood from what I have been reading here that once I did the free...
  10. Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?

Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?: Hi Guys A few questions.... Could someone please clarify, Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? If so how/where? If not when performing a clean install, will skipping the product key prompt, then activating once desktop appears automatically...