Windows 10: Need your advice on a migration of an old laptop to a newer laptop

Discus and support Need your advice on a migration of an old laptop to a newer laptop in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello, I'm helping someone who has bought a new laptop but wants his windows on his old laptop transferred to this new laptop. This means all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Max Pen, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Max Pen Win User

Need your advice on a migration of an old laptop to a newer laptop

Hello,

I'm helping someone who has bought a new laptop but wants his windows on his old laptop transferred to this new laptop. This means all documents, programs, users , etc...

I told him to install macrium reflect free on both the old and new laptop and run on each a system image.

Now I know that macrium paid version has a redeploy feature to new hardware, is this what he needs to do this migration succesfully? If it fails then we can just restore the new laptop with the image backup right?

What about windows keys? He couldn't find any product key on this new laptop and on the sticker it wasn't mentioned either. Even running magical jelly beans key finder didn't produce any results of keys on the new laptop.

If anyone can help me what I need to do or am missing here to ensure a smooth migration that would be great.

His old laptop windows runs on the 20H2 and the new laptop on a older version.

I do not want to risk making his new laptop unbootable so please help me. Am I risking this should I try to restore the image of his old laptop on his new laptop with macrium reflect free?

:)

Max Pen, Jan 3, 2021
  2. Nordic Win User

What to do with old laptop

If you actually read the thread it is a spare old laptop.

Nordic, Jan 3, 2021
  3. Anthony12 Win User
    What to do with old laptop

Yeah this is good suggestions here with your old laptop but i just want to say you that you should replace your old laptop with any new laptop by exchanging the old one and i think this is the best opinion for you ....

Give us a call

Anthony12, Jan 3, 2021
  4. n-ster Win User

n-ster, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Need your advice on a migration of an old laptop to a newer laptop - Similar Threads - Need advice migration

2. Best and newer laptop recommendations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best and newer laptop recommendations: Hey community! So my laptop is extremely outdated, as in discontinued outdatedlol. It's a Toshiba Satellite C55-A. I've had it for almost 9 years but despite that it still runs and operates pretty well. Although when I found out that Windows/Microsoft will not keep Windows 10...
  3. Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.: Hello,I have just got a new Laptop with Windows 11, and I want to connect it to my old Laptop that has Windows 10, and basically drag and drop the C+D Drives from the old into the C Drive of the new.Will that mess anything up because they are different versions of...
  4. Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advice transferring old Laptop Data to new Laptop.: Hello,I have just got a new Laptop with Windows 11, and I want to connect it to my old Laptop that has Windows 10, and basically drag and drop the C+D Drives from the old into the C Drive of the new.Will that mess anything up because they are different versions of...
  5. migrate windows license from old laptop to new laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    migrate windows license from old laptop to new laptop: My wife and I have 2 laptops 1st one: Dell Studio, bought in 2009, originally had windows vista license then I purchased windows 8 license in 2013 then got a free upgrade to widows 10. 2nd one: Fujitsu lifebook bought in 2011, originally had Windows 7 then we got a free...
  6. Going to W10, need advice on laptop.

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to W10, need advice on laptop.: Going to W 10, need advice on laptop. Currently I have an MSI 17" laptop with 256GB ssd w?W7 Pro 32 bit. And it has been the best PC Ive owned in 30 yr.Still get several hr on orig batt. My computing is done "ABOVE the CODE & HDWE." HVerave been an info mgr, analyzer for 50...
  7. Laptop buying advice

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop buying advice: I am considering these two laptops for my younger brother who is planning to launch his own youtube channel and want to edit videos. We have a budget constraint of 36000 INR. Which one would be better from the following models? One laptop has a better CPU while the other one...
  8. Need help/advice - install Windows XP newer laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help/advice - install Windows XP newer laptop: Hi mates, I have an Lenovo Thinkpad T450S running Windows 10.( i5 broadwell, 12gb ram, ssd evo 850 samsung) I need to run Windows XP and tryied to install but failed.. Maybe my logic is incorrect or i get wrong something. The notebook don.t have sata operation mode...
  9. advice on buying a laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    advice on buying a laptop: Hello looking for a laptop, netbook etc....for my wife, for general browsing and basic office work....needs to be 32bit to run money matters..... only other criteria is it must be light as possible....not a glossy screen.....would like something reliable also not...
  10. Got a New Laptop, Needing Expert Advice.

in Windows 10 Support
    Got a New Laptop, Needing Expert Advice.: Hi there, guys! I just recently bought a bew laptop, an Acer Aspire E15-553-1768, and, while I'm enjoying it so much, I'm having some lil' annoyances that I'm sure you can help me to solve. The first, I'm experiencing some sort of "poor colors" representation on my...