Windows 10: Need your suggestion : How perfect W-10 for my PC?

Discus and support Need your suggestion : How perfect W-10 for my PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC Configuration is Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.80 GHz 6 GB Ram Now I'm using W-7. 38764 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bijutoha, Jan 26, 2016.

1. bijutoha Win User

Need your suggestion : How perfect W-10 for my PC?

My PC Configuration is

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.80 GHz

6 GB Ram

Now I'm using W-7.

:)

bijutoha, Jan 26, 2016

2. MS Train Simulator won't open on Windows 10 64 bit

Interesting advice. When and if I move back to Windows 10, I will try out your suggestion. There are eight computers in our household. Two of them are running Windows 10. Both belong to my wife. I hate the program. I hate the way MS has tried to sneak
    W-10 "Upgrade" updates to my W-7 computers. I have hidden all of them. When MS does finally stop supporting W-7, I will simply find a better virus software than I am using now and continue to use W-7. Just for fun, I keep Windows Vista and Windows XP on
    my main computer by way of Virtual Box. All work just fine less perfect graphics on the VB OSs.

I will monitor my wife's W-10 computers to see if they improve it any. BTW, my favorite local computer repair service says that many of his clients are bringing in their computers for repair of W-10 upgrades. Problems with updates and more. I have yet
    to find anyone that likes the program. My son, an avid gamer, much prefers W-7. My wife keeps W-10 precisely because of your observation that it is the future of MS....unless they wise up.

HG

HarvyGwelg, Jan 26, 2016
  3. AnnSalem Win User
    Lost right click designations with Microsoft Edge

Thank you for your suggestion! This will work for my needs. I am hopeful that the "Send To" function returns with updates to Microsoft Edge. Windows 10 seems great, and updates with suggested improvements will help to make it perfect.

AnnSalem, Jan 26, 2016
  4. Need your suggestion : How perfect W-10 for my PC?

Not likely on any old Pentium and especially not on any Celeron machine. The cpu series is simply too old and you would only run the 32bit on a P4 since it lacks the architecture for Virtualization support and other thing the newer iCore 3, 5 cpus are designed to support.

And one other factor is likely the need to not only upgrade the main board but other hardwares that may not even see Windows 8.1 drivers and apps available if those are too old as well such as the video and sound cards if not running onboard graphics and/or onboard sound. You system specs show Windows 8 if that is the same machine you are asking about here with onboard graphics instead of a separate expansion card for the display.

Here I am still running a 5yr. old custom build with the 10/7 dual boot where each item sees at least 64bit W8.1 drivers including the main board but I am also running an AMD past the old Atholon I series being the Phenom II quad core and the Hyper-V virtualization feature is enabled on 10 while on 7 VM ware's Workstation 12 Player is required there to run VMs!

So with 8 you should already be familiar with how Hyper-V replaced the old Virtual PC 2007 ran on 7 especially for the XP Mode when MS wanted XP machines to be upgraded to 7 in the business community. The recommendation for you as far as the P4 machine is concerned however would be to simply try 10 out on a VM while leaving 7 intact and once you are into newer gear then give 10 a go since it is a progression to 7 despite being three versions newer seeing the update Start menu and improved WinMin kernel advancing. But the cpu is a hold up for you there unfortunately.

Night Hawk, Jan 26, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
  6. cereberus Win User
    FFS - nobody would attempt to run things like virtualisation on a pentium 4. Not many people do that anyway.

The real issue is if it even possible as early pentium 4s did not support NX, which you need to run Windows 10.

To check

http://www.technize.net/how-to-check...-installation/

Assuming it is capable of running windows 10 from a cpu perspective, then all OP needs to do is image backup pc, install 10, try it and if issues, simply restore image back to current state.

I have my doubts it is worth it but some people say Windows 10 runs well on their old devices.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  7. Don't ever think no one would ever try anything on an old boat to see if it works at all. Virtual Box and the XP mode came out while there were still plenty of P4s still in use! In fact people were running rather basic VMs on the Celerons as well but could only go so far back then. For the Hyper-V feature not VM ware you would see the few P4s lxo7 was referring to support 10 but on the limited basis people were trying 10 out with.

One link posted on the thread lx07 pointed to refers to he Data Execution Protection process in Windows.

That is seen in the MS Faq page seen at Data Execution Prevention: frequently asked questions
    But was also applied to Vista there not 10.

As for both of the other articles those refer to the PAE and NX as far as Windows 8 which saw a change to a certain degree with 8.1 and then with 10. While you may see 10 go on old pcs running it as you would an older version may not be so likely.

Years back some were able to get 7 on some really low end machines that belonged in a museum at the time since those were more Legacy capable. not seeing much memory on those! I think someone was trying 7 on a pc with less then 128mb if not mistaken just to see if the beta build at the time would run. The saying is however "if it isn't broke don' fix it!" referring to either having and knowing 7 will run flawlessly being that it is an old machine or finding 10 won't quite make the trip for normal use despite seeing it go on. The problems then come when you try running all the rest of your usual programs with many likely going to need newer versions anyways to start with like the latest build for the antivirus software as the first in line!

Night Hawk, Jan 26, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

OP just asked for an opinion, not a load of high tech gobbledygook.

He is probably just curious. The simplest option is to try. By creating an image backup he can safely try it and will probably conclude that himself.

But how will he ever know unless he tries?

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. that's the best way to find out IMO is to back up the system and give it a shot/try. Setting up a VM is more work than is needed for this situation and it's not really answering the question, IMO,,,,

BunnyJ, Jan 26, 2016
  10. lx07 Win User
    Only if coreinfo says your CPU is valid.

If your CPU isn't supported it is a complete waste of time backing up, downloading the 10 ISO, trying to upgrade, restoring back....

It only takes a minute or two to check.

11. cereberus Win User
    Spot on.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Yes and you don't need to bother with a VM either.

BunnyJ, Jan 26, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

If the CPU will support Windows 10 my observation has been that the less powerful a computer is, the better of a performance gain you will see on that computer by upgrading to Windows 10. My lowest spec computer is an Acer Aspire One with an Atom processor and 2gb of memory. Windows 10 was an improvement over Windows 7 on it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 26, 2016
  14. Since the OP hasn't replied back at all we still don't know if he is asking if 10 would be good to simply look over or for an "Every Day OS" on the old P4 system he has there and if that is even his own main machine, spare, or simply asking for someone else! And VMs are not that hard to set up when already having the "Windows.iso" downloaded by way of either the Media Creation tool or from the Tech Bench site downloaded and saved to a folder on one of the drives.

You simply point the VM program to the iso an watch the installation go on when going to start the VM rather then tampering with the OS already on and working. System image backups should be made periodically anyways especially when planning to any newer version or other OS out for the right time.

The point however in regards to the original question was practically compared to hardware limitations which have to be taken into account when the question of "Is 10 worth it?" was asked. There wasn't a lot of tech babble but being sure the OP understood the potential drawbacks he would likely run smack into if planning to replace 7 with 10 to be the Every Day OS and not just a "well I have this spare pc laying around doing nothing at the moment....." Simply getting 10 to go on and comparing that to an OS you can count on everyday are two different things entirely.

A program like the latest VM Workstation 12 Player(with option to buy Player Pro license) that replaces the former VM Player(100% non commercial) you later would switch to VM Player Pro for full support runs just about any OS with relative ease and can allow an examination of an OS without making any system change. You simply see the VM stored as a file on the drive over replacing the existing OS if only wanting a quick look at something.

So far Lx07 has made a few of the best observations so far in regards to the possible issues regarding the PAE and NX with the P4 cpu itself.

Unfortunately you are still trying to compare Apples to Oranges there. The Atom is a mobile cpu with a newer design compared to the outdated Pentium seires to start with. Plus 10 is a dual platform desktop/laptop vs Tablet/netbook/chromebook type OS geared in both directions making it flexible for a portable which generally runs with a limited OS to start with when embedded.

The P4 on the other hand is the old Intel design going back now over 12yrs. in total still running an OS 5yrs. new with 7 which obviously wouldn't run the same on a netbook being that it was designed strictly for the desktop platform while people still it going on netbooks mostly due to the introduction of the just then seen MinWin kernel that replaced the growth Vista had seen. MS trimmed the fat out of the OS with 7 while 10 was the 3rd version to see the combination of desktop/mobile with further enhancement on the MinWin kernel as part of the continuing development.

The mininum system specs for both the two versions are 1gb for the 32bit and 2gb highly advised for the 64bit in contrast to how MS had originally understated what would make Vista run better over 512mb set too low there. Even XP saw a noticable improvement when running with 2gb installed!

With 6gb on the OP's machine there was never going to be any doubt there wasn't going to be enough memory while the Coreinfo already seeing a long time rep should indicate things as well as trying to start the upgrade and watch the compatible or not compatible message come up. We still don't know the other system specs which could also play a role in ending up the the incompatible message. And without knowing that how can anyone simply say "oh don't worry about a thing! we can guaranty...." BUZZER SOUNDS OFF!

You can't guaranty anything at this point! At least not for expecting a 10 to turn out with the desired results since there is the reality check of hardware incompatibility to deal with not only just the cpu alone. On the other thread with the laptop there that already saw Vista/7 support being new when Vista was first out and 7 was just coming back then where it only saw a lack of drivers at the manufacturer's own support site but could still be found.

The OP faces similar driver issues as well only with apparently even older gear. oops! no one thought about that one either! This is why even if 10 is able to go on and run with the cpu there's still not guaranty it can be run as the typical everyday OS. Tweaking the OS and forcing mickey mouse driver installs only allows for jerry rigging to simply say 10 is on a machine but not the OS you want to count on if too many sacrifices have to be made.

So is 10 worth it? That's a question all by itself in more then aspect. On the 5yr. old build here both play well and I haven't seen much of a performance difference between the two while the desktop takes a little longer to appear but things are still loading longer on 7 after the desktop comes up quicker then 10. You still end up waiting the same amount of time for things to finish loading up with the almost exact same programs in use on both versions except for the need of either updated versions of same or more 3rd party media players on 10!

Night Hawk, Jan 27, 2016
  15. bijutoha Win User

bijutoha, Jan 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Need your suggestion : How perfect W-10 for my PC? - Similar Threads - Need suggestion perfect

2. I need your help for my pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need your help for my pc: hello,I have the exact same kernel-power problem.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kernel-power-41-63-error-keeps-coming-back/0b43569e-5a4e-4e35-bffb-6b53538a4269?auth=1I reseated my memory and gpu, it didn't work,I also have a 750w power supply with a...
  3. I need your help for my pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need your help for my pc: hello,I saw you in this link and I have the exact same kernel-power problem.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kernel-power-41-63-error-keeps-coming-back/0b43569e-5a4e-4e35-bffb-6b53538a4269?auth=1I reseated my memory and gpu, it didn't work,I also have a...
  4. I need your help for my pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I need your help for my pc: hello,I saw you in this link and I have the exact same kernel-power problem.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kernel-power-41-63-error-keeps-coming-back/0b43569e-5a4e-4e35-bffb-6b53538a4269?auth=1I reseated my memory and gpu, it didn't work,I also have a...
  5. Need a Suggestions for Oprating System in my PC Build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need a Suggestions for Oprating System in my PC Build: Hey Guys,I’m new here, I am building my own gaming PC. So as you can see I’m a bit confused about Operating System can you help me to suggest something about this, and I need the best yet affordable Operating System for my Build?PC Builder Part List:...
  6. I need a suggestion!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need a suggestion!: I want to use ROS and Gazebo in wsl2. But wsl2 requires me to have 2004build. My computer currently has 1909 build and windows is not showing the updates automatically. Should I update using the update tool or should I wait ??? And is it a good idea to use ros and gazebo on...
  7. Need your help/suggestions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need your help/suggestions.: Hello r/Windows10. I am very curious about whether I should update my laptop or not. Specs are: Intel Core i5 3210M CPU @ 2.50 GHz 4 GB RAM 64 bit Windows 10 Pro 1903 I don't have any graphics card or SSD on this laptop. Should I update my Windows 10 1903 to 2004 latest?...
  8. Need suggestions for my windows health

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need suggestions for my windows health: Hello everyone,I have used Microsoft Windows 8.1. Recently I have to do official work on my PC but it's performance was so slow due to virus and I faced many difficulties because Windows Defender is still updating because there is heavy virus. So I have used Avira with...
  9. Need to restore W-10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need to restore W-10: I was in FB, it was freezing up. I asked for help. It said to go to 3 marks in right corner, and to tools, and then to settings, and somehow it looked right, and I had to ask to cleanup things, and I said all old back to beginning, like it said cookies, and more. I thought...
  10. need suggestion for new pc.

in Windows 10 Support
    need suggestion for new pc.: Hai guys i am going to buy new pc. before i am purchase i need your suggestion. my configuration is Monitor - Samsung 22 inch full HD Motherboard - Asus H81M - CS Processor - Intel Core i5 - 4460 Memory / Ram - 8GB KINGSTON HYPHERX Hard Disk - 500 GB Seagate...