Windows 10: Neighbor got siskeyed

Discus and support Neighbor got siskeyed in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My neighbour fell for the Microsoft repair scam. When he wouldn't give the guy any money, he got zapped. Now when you try to boot you are stopped by a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by lenberman, Jan 15, 2017.

1. lenberman Win User

Neighbor got siskeyed

My neighbour fell for the Microsoft repair scam. When he wouldn't give the guy any money, he got zapped. Now when you try to boot you are stopped by a System Password window. He has W10 and I am trying to do the startup repair where you keep files intact. It's at 12% so far. Is the system likely to boot when the repair is done.
    My second thought was to try and open with Linux Live and retrieve files, will I be able to do that? Then, hopefully, I will use the media creation tool to reload W10. Can I do that?
    Len

:)

lenberman, Jan 15, 2017
  2. DeeZeepc Win User

14GB needed to install W10?

Trying to upgrade neighbors laptop, they got the 'upgrade is ready' pop up message, after an hour download it says not enough space, 14gb needed to install windows 10, is this correct?!

DeeZeepc, Jan 15, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    bad neighbor

On the back of your WiFi router is a label with the following:

• An IP Address in the form of: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (e.g. 192.148.121.121)
    • A User Name
    • A Password

• On your PC or Laptop, open a web browser and enter the IP address into the address bar of the browser
    • This will bring up the settings page for your router
    • Enter the User Name and Password
    • Then change both the user name and the password

Your neighbour should now not be able to access your network or any devices on it

You will however, have to sign in your devices again onto your WiFi using the new password . . .

DaveM121, Jan 15, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

Neighbor got siskeyed

Ransomware encrypts data and the malcontent wants you to pay them to decrypt the drive with a password. Restoring the computer may still not allow you to access the files. Booting from a Linux Live CD should allow you to find and copy the files to an external HDD, then on another computer, use the Media Creation Tool to make a USB or DVD Installer for Windows 10 then boot off of that and wipe the drive and reinstall Windows.

spunk, Jan 15, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    If it is ransom ware some can be decrpted but we need to know hat type it is a screenshot of the system password screen may help do you mean the normal login or something else like a bios password?

Samuria, Jan 15, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    If you wish, you can try:

• Boot up with Windows Recovery disk or even with Linux.
    • Navigate to: C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack. All the files under this folder are the backup registry files.
    • Copy them back to: C:\Windows\System32\config
    • Reboot the PC

topgundcp, Jan 15, 2017
  7. essenbe Win User
    Try booting into the installation USB created on another computer. Use the Repair my computer option and see if you have any restore points. DO NOT try to boot to the OS again. If you do not have recovery points or it does not work here's something else to try. Assuming they didn't also delete the backup registry or the attempted reboots did not overwrite it. You can try this, with a Linux live distro or with the Windows 10 recovery ISO (Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk)

1.POWER OFF your PC immediately.
    2.Boot to external media of some sort (NOT your Windows installation) and navigate to the %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config folder.
    3.Backup the registry hives in this folder to a temporary location. The files are:
    A.SOFTWARE
    B.SYSTEM
    C.SAM
    D.SECURITYE.DEFAULT

4.Navigate to %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\RegBack as mentioned earlier.
    5.Copy all registry hives from this folder (the same files as listed above) into the %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config folder.
    6.Reboot the PC.

essenbe, Jan 15, 2017
  8. lenberman Win User

Neighbor got siskeyed

I re-formatted my neighbor's ruined hard drive on my W7 machine and I downloaded the Media creation tool. Is there a way to make a W10 rescue disk from my W7 computer? I tried making a rescue USB stick but it doesn't seem to work and it only takes me on a long trip around and around the Acer software but never gets to the USB with the creation tool.
    Len

lenberman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Neighbor got siskeyed

1. Neighbor got siskeyed - Similar Threads - Neighbor got siskeyed

2. Computer "Stealing" login credentials from neighboring user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer "Stealing" login credentials from neighboring user: I have two users, user A running Windows 10, User B using Windows 11. The computers are not managed under the same domain or Active Directory. The users tell me they were sitting next to each other when suddenly A's computer lost its desktop icons and the user photo changed...
  3. My laptop mirroring on neighbors Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My laptop mirroring on neighbors Laptop: My neighbourour complained that her laptop was not working properly. On opening her laptop her name appeared but with my login photograph. Signing in with her password I was horriffied to see the entire contents of MY laptop on hers. By entire I mean everything, all my...
  4. Can your neighbors ..... ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can your neighbors ..... ?: Can your neighbors access your Windows screen if you forget to turn off/lock your laptop even if they're outside your apartment and even if you your laptop have password because you're away from it for mins? Not to mention without updates. submitted by /u/ADAMINVICTUS...
  5. Network list of neighbors routers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network list of neighbors routers: In the lower right corner of the screen when I click network settings, there is a list of wi-fi's from my neighbor's around me. Can I delete this list or hide it?...
  6. Bluetooth speakers taken over by neighbors music

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth speakers taken over by neighbors music: How can i get Bluetooth speakers from constantly being taken over by neighbors whenver they play their device and generally bring stereo speakers out on patio that renders playing my own vids. music useless unless i unplug the speakers? I have the Klipsch promedia 2.1...
  7. Home Wifi not detected, but Neighbors and Mobile is.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home Wifi not detected, but Neighbors and Mobile is.: Hey guys, me again. So I have factory restarted the modem, made it seperate it's 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels. I have done everything recommended to my TP-Link USB Wireless Adaptor. I can't update my version of Window due to lack of internet and even when I could, it still...
  8. Problem in the game Hello neighbor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem in the game Hello neighbor: Hi guys, my son has this problem in the game. Before Act 2 in Act 1, the neighbour catches him all the way to the game and does not let him continue in the game.Thanks for all....
  9. HELP, NEIGHBOR KEEPS HACKING ALL DEVICES

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HELP, NEIGHBOR KEEPS HACKING ALL DEVICES: How do I permanently block these crooks from getting into our families devices arf….. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-neighbor-keeps-hacking-all-devices/f10c9851-722f-4a3c-8a80-158b15b87606
  10. Tech scam hit neighbor

in Windows 10 Support
    Tech scam hit neighbor: My elderly neighbor fell victim to the Microsoft tech scam. She let him on to her computer remotely and now when you try to open Windows it asks for a password. Not a syskey password, but a password that wasn't there before. I thought, OK, I'll get her files off the HD and...