Windows 10: Neither File History nor Backup and Restore successfully work

Discus and support Neither File History nor Backup and Restore successfully work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Unfortunately, attemping to backup my files to an external drive using either program doesn't seem to work. Though there is no problem manually copying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JackDaniel4, May 22, 2021.

1. Neither File History nor Backup and Restore successfully work

Unfortunately, attemping to backup my files to an external drive using either program doesn't seem to work. Though there is no problem manually copying files over to the drive, the backup options with File History show the size of backup being 0 bytes, regardless of which folders I add or remove to the backup. Attempting to

:)

JackDaniel4, May 22, 2021

2. File History Restore Not Working

My apologies for my not explaining my problem clearly.

File History would always list my external drive. It would not list the File History backup subfolder, "Computer Name", which contained my backup.

I completed the 5 steps you recommended, and in step (4), using Windows Explorer, I opted to change the name to "File History.old" instead of deleting it. Had I deleted it, all my backup files that I want to reload onto drive C would have been gone.

When I look at the external backup drive in Windows Explorer it now shows 4 folders, $RECYCLE.BIN, FileHistory, FileHistory.old and System Volume Information. Bottom line, FileHistory contains only the backed up data currently on Drive C as a result of step
    5, while FileHistory.old contains the data I wish to reload.

Now when I go to Control Panel/File History/Select drive, and select the external backup drive, only the subfolder contained in FileHistory shows up. The subfolder contained in FileHistory.old, which contains the data I wish to restore, is still not listed.
    When I select "Restore personal files" it only shows folders associated with FileHistory.

Thanks for your attention and help, but I am now resigned to copying and pasting the files that I need to restore. I totally yield to the higher power that is Microsoft.

Again thanks,

RP

Robert Pat Vaughn, May 22, 2021
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Files skipped in Backup using File History

Hi Sumangal,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Which device are you backing up the files to?

Normally, on the successful completion of back up, you will get the pop up saying that the backup operation completed successfully and if any file is skipped, you will be notified about it, however some files due to their length appear to be hidden. If
    you try to restore the file using File History it is actually there.

I would suggest to check if the files/folders are in the Excluded folder list. You may also want to check the file history logs to view the recent events errors, the option is available under
    Advanced settings of File History.

Finally, I would suggest to restore your personal files and see if the missing files are restored from the file history. Please refer to the following article. The article is for Windows 8, but holds good for Windows 10 as well.

Restoring files from File History

Hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, May 22, 2021
  4. Ubtree Win User

Neither File History nor Backup and Restore successfully work

File History not working

I have Windows 10 installed on 2 PCs, with setups that are very similar to each other. On No. 1 PC, I have successfully set up File History to back up selected folders. However, although I have set up File History identically on No. 2 PC (and have selected folders for backup), File History does not back up any files. It reports "Size of Backup - 0 bytes", and if I try to restore files, it reports "There isn't any history of your files, folders or libraries".

I wondered whether the problem was related to Services, but both the File History service and the Windows Search service are running on both PCs, and AFAIK these are the only 2 services required for File History to run successfully.

I would welcome any suggestions as to what I may have missed.

Ubtree, May 22, 2021
Thema:

Neither File History nor Backup and Restore successfully work

1. Neither File History nor Backup and Restore successfully work - Similar Threads - Neither File History

2. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?: Greetings. I have a laptop with Windows 11 pro which was automatically upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 10 Home. I bought an external hard drive for backups as my laptop is getting old. I am currently trying to get a backup of all my data that is on...
  3. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?: Greetings. I have a laptop with Windows 11 pro which was automatically upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I upgraded from Windows 10 Home. I bought an external hard drive for backups as my laptop is getting old. I am currently trying to get a backup of all my data that is on...
  4. File History or Backup and Restore? or both? or what?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 backup and restore - File history

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 backup and restore - File history: Does Microsoft still support Windows 10 Backup and Restore File History? I have read differing opinions on this? Is it being phased out? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-backup-and-restore-file-history/48ead602-8f04-49b3-9d8f-b8d056df5ebe
  6. Windows backup/restore and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows backup/restore and file history: I have a new (late December) Dell 5500, 512 GB SSD about half empty. I have File Explorer access to a 2TB NAS (WD Mybook Live) via home wifi network. I'm starting with win 10 native s/w. I'll research other popular programs (macrium etc) because multiple attempts using the...
  7. File History VS Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History VS Backup and Restore: Hi. So I have this 2TB external hard drive which uses the USB type-C so I can leave it plugged in all the time. I've done all the system repair disc, restore point, system image and recovery drive. 1) can the same external drive be used for both file history and backup and...
  8. Backup and Restore Question for File History

Backup and Restore Question for File History: I have used File History for a number of years to backup my files. I can see it running and according to the program it operates successfully. For the heck of it I tried to restore a file, just to see if it would work. It ended up only finding a backup from July 2019, yet...
  9. Difference between File History and Backup and Restore

Difference between File History and Backup and Restore: I want a complete backup of my laptop. I want EVERY file to be backed up. Which option is better: File History OR Backup and Restore? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between-file-history-and-backup-and/eb00ff8f-d696-4e1a-8851-2326a88eeecd
  10. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...