Windows 10: Neither screen saver, nor monitor off works!

Discus and support Neither screen saver, nor monitor off works! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have viewed and to a large degree followed all of the various instructions in the various posts on how to resolve this. I have recently even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DGALLOPMI, Oct 10, 2020.

1. DGALLOPMI Win User

Neither screen saver, nor monitor off works!

I have viewed and to a large degree followed all of the various instructions in the various posts on how to resolve this.

I have recently even re-installed Win10 Home for an unrelated issue.

I set my screen saver which worked fine until about 2 or 3 months ago - yes, I've been trying to figure this out for months! to 3 minutes, with no hibernate, no HDD power downs and no screen off I recently added that to see if that would at least work - it doesn't and, still NO screen saver!!

My adjacent Windows 7 PC works fine and ALL yes ALL of my Linux based machines have zero issue with screen savers I know that doesn't have anything to do with it!, this one would be Linux if I didn't need a couple of apps that aren't available on Linux ..YET!.

There are literally, thousands of people pointing out that their screensaver etc. stopped working after an update going back a few years as well.

I realize that with all the new technology that screen savers are fundamentally unnecessary, but I've always used the '3d text' because it removes the glare from the screen when apps are left open. I have 6 computers most are Linux thank heavens so having the glare reduced helps to remove visual interference when I am on one of the others. I also tried to set the 'switch monitor off' because the screen saver didn't work, ha! that doesn't work either!!

I checked the updates and as usual, it says 'up to date', I press the button, because we know that MS doesn't always 'push' updates all of the time and it says no updates, or security this or security that.

I was using Win 7 for the longest time and I have no recollection of anything even remotely similar to this happen! Seriously, what is going on??

I did the checks, tests, installs and everything else that has been suggested on the various forums..

What next?

Win 10 Home 64bit

Version 2004

Installed 9/8/2020 re-installed!

OS Build 19041.508

Exp Build 120.2212.31.0

Ryzen 5 3.6GHz [Pinnacle Ridge variant] 16GB RAM

ATI Radeon/Sapphire 8GB video card

:)

DGALLOPMI, Oct 10, 2020
  2. Sigurd Win User

Screen saver for dual monitors

Well, problem solved - sort off! I have got it working via the Google Photos Screensaver. Different images appearing on the two monitors. The difficulty now is that the image is the correct size on the main monitor (3840 x 2160) but oversized on the secondary monitor (1920 x 1200). While images scale properly when displayed as desktop backgrounds, they don't on the smaller screen in screen saver mode.
    But that's a problem for another thread I think!

In the meantime I'l have a look at your suggestion Barman.

Thank you both

Sigurd, Oct 10, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Screen saver with dual monitors

Hi,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Have you upgraded the graphics card?

• Do you have any other issues except the screensaver issue on second monitor?
    I suggest you to follow the below link to update the graphics card drivers and update the drivers for second monitor.

How
    to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

After performing the above steps, try to set the screen saver and check if it helps.

I suggest you to refer:
    Connect a second monitor or projector

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Arul_D, Oct 10, 2020
  4. Neither screen saver, nor monitor off works!

Screen saver over dual monitors in windows 10

Hi,

One of the possible reasons why the screen saver shows only on one of your monitors is that you have an outdated graphics card. Please refer to this

link
    for the steps on how you can update drivers in your Windows 10 PC. This link will also provide you the steps on how to reinstall drivers.

You can try these steps if updating your graphics driver doesn't work:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
    • Type Display settings and click it.
    • The Customize your display window will appear. Under the Multiple displays option, choose
      Extend these displays.
    • Click Apply.
    • Check if both monitors now will show the screen saver.

Post here the result for us to assist you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

Neither screen saver, nor monitor off works!

1. Neither screen saver, nor monitor off works! - Similar Threads - Neither screen saver

2. Screen Saver not working with external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Saver not working with external monitor: I own an Asus laptop purchased in 2019 and used HDMI port to plug into a 28" Asus external monitor. The screen saver works sometimes but not hardly at all. I tired changing lots of settings but still won't come on after setting the time limit. Any suggestions?...
  3. Screen Saver not working with external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Saver not working with external monitor: I own an Asus laptop purchased in 2019 and used HDMI port to plug into a 28" Asus external monitor. The screen saver works sometimes but not hardly at all. I tired changing lots of settings but still won't come on after setting the time limit. Any suggestions?...
  4. Dual monitor screen saver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor screen saver: My setup is a laptop and an external screen, I would like to have a screen saver on both monitors, when on the lock screen the same as what I see on the main monitor if that is possible.I'm on Windows 11, and I've noticed on videos I watch on Youtube that they are able to...
  5. Dual monitor screen saver

Dual monitor screen saver: My setup is a laptop and an external screen, I would like to have a screen saver on both monitors, when on the lock screen the same as what I see on the main monitor if that is possible.I'm on Windows 11, and I've noticed on videos I watch on Youtube that they are able to...
  6. Neither windows nor explorer search are working

in Cortana
    Neither windows nor explorer search are working: I don't know what caused this but neither Windows search nor Microsoft Explorer Search are working. I click on them and nothing happens. Can anyone help?...
  7. Turn off or work around screen saver

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turn off or work around screen saver: Hello! I would like to ask for some help with my predicament. On my work laptop with Win10 the screen saver is set to activate after 10 minutes of inactivity. This is extremely annoying because i am not doing always something on it, but i would like the screen to be always on...
  8. Screen saver for dual monitors

Screen saver for dual monitors: I used to have a screen saver (Firehand Ember) which worked well with my two monitors but as Windows has moved on it got left behind and the person who produced it gave up! So did the screen saver. It used to display different images on the two screens - not individually,...
  9. screen saver on dual monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen saver on dual monitors: this question was asked in January and has not been answered:windows 10 programs and apps work fine, my problem is the screen saver mode. I have dual monitor images but when the screen saver starts it only shows on the main monitor not the second one. How do I stretch the...
  10. Monitors will not turn off/Screen saver won;t activate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitors will not turn off/Screen saver won;t activate: Hi guys. I have been trying to get my monitors to shut off so I don't get a burn in on my screens. I can't seem to figure out what is causing them to stay on. I tried enabling a screen saver which won't turn on and I also tried making a keyboard shortcut to turn off the...