Windows 10: Nero problems caused my DVD-RW drive not burning CDs, "could not perform start of disc-at-once"

Discus and support Nero problems caused my DVD-RW drive not burning CDs, "could not perform start of disc-at-once" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, I recently updated Nero 18 to an automatic update and now I can't burn CDs, I get the error "could not perform start of disc-at-once" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CacaoRock, Apr 10, 2021.

1. CacaoRock Win User

Nero problems caused my DVD-RW drive not burning CDs, "could not perform start of disc-at-once"

Hello all,

I recently updated Nero 18 to an automatic update and now I can't burn CDs, I get the error "could not perform start of disc-at-once" and the CD is untouched. I don't know what the problem is. I have two computers, and the other computer had the same problem. I uninstalled Nero 18 on that computer windows 7 and used my old Nero 14, it works there. The problem is in a new Windows 10 PC with Nero 18. I know Nero is trying to force people to update to their yearly suscription plans a-la-Adobe, but this is ridiculous.

Any suggestions or ideas? I unplugged the DVD-RW drive and plugged it again, I powered the pc off, etc. I also disabled and enabled the device. No luck.

I think Nero has affected the registry. Any help is welcome.

:)

CacaoRock, Apr 10, 2021
  2. MisterEd Win User

5.25 optical drive wont display cd-rw's, but will play music cds.

CD-RW disc use

CD-RW discs can be used two ways
    1. Burn like regular CD-R
    2. Format (like flash drive)

Notes for #1
    * CD Burn software required to burn discs
    * Discs can burned multiple times (multi-session) until finalized.

Notes for #2
    * No software required
    * Discs must be formatted before use
    * Data can added using drag & drop with Windows File Manager

Whatever way you use the CD-RWs you can always erase them to recover all the space.

==============================================================

My CD-RW Testing

My drive is an Asus BW-16D1HT. It can burn CDs, DVD, and Blu-Ray discs.

I probably last bought CD-RW discs 20 years ago. I pulled out a three to do some tests
    * Imation CD-RW 2x-4x
    * Imation CD-RW 1x-4x
    * Vertatim CD-RW 2x-4x

I performed two tests on each disc.
    1. Burned data like CD-R using Nero (verification on)
    2. Formatted disc and used drag & drop to add data

Each disc burned successfully with no problems using Nero.

==============================================================

CD Burning software

For many years I used Roxio's Easy CD Creator 6. I changed to Nero when I upgraded to Windows 7. That was because Roxio's Easy CD Creator 6 was not compatible.

I tried and found CDBurnerXP worked OK but decided to stay with Nero.

Corrupt CD burning software can be a problem. One time I thought I had bad CD-R discs because I burned two coasters in a row. Reinstalling the CD burning software solved the problem.

MisterEd, Apr 10, 2021
  3. Burning photos to a CD Disc

Hi Jimmy,

We suggest that you use Windows Media Player to burn the images. Please follow the steps below:

• Open Windows Media Player.
    • In the Player Library > Burn tab > select
      Burn options
    • Choose Audio CD or Data CD or DVD.
    • Insert a blank disc into your CD or DVD burner. (Select the drive you want to use if your PC has more than one CD or DVD drive)
    • Search for the items in your Player Library that you want to burn to the disc, and then drag them to the list pane (on the right side of the Player Library) to create a burn list.
    • When you're finished with the list, select Start burn.
    Note: If necessary, click the Clear list button to remove all items from the previous burn list.

Let us know how it goes.

Regile Reb, Apr 10, 2021
  4. Nero problems caused my DVD-RW drive not burning CDs, "could not perform start of disc-at-once"

DVD+RW burn problem

As an additive to my previous post, I want to add this additional information to maybe help explain my problem further.

I experimented burning songs to a CD-RW using Windows media player and the burn was successful.
    The songs will play in Windows Media Player and also on my DVD player.
    When I insert the DVD Drive, it recognizes the CD-RW disk but says it is empty.
    I then tried using a Verbatim DVD+RW disk. The songs were written to it but when I attempt to burn, near the end of the burn, I encounter the error "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while burning the file to the disc."

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

DavidZannino, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

Nero problems caused my DVD-RW drive not burning CDs, "could not perform start of disc-at-once"

1. Nero problems caused my DVD-RW drive not burning CDs, "could not perform start of disc-at-once" - Similar Threads - Nero problems caused

2. How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW: I have loads of personal home videos that I have downloaded from Apple icloud. I would like to save them to DVD's as gifts for the family. Each time I click on "Burn files" the process cancels. I have looked all over the internet for information but all I find is offers for...
  3. How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to burn a DVD-R or DVD-RW: I have loads of personal home videos that I have downloaded from Apple icloud. I would like to save them to DVD's as gifts for the family. Each time I click on "Burn files" the process cancels. I have looked all over the internet for information but all I find is offers for...
  4. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  5. DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD-RW not working in DVD±RW drive.: So, i have this dvd±rw drive which doesnt work with my dvd-rw disc. It has worked previously with the same disc, however now it doesnt work. I have confirmed this disc does work on different drives, however it isnt working on this one drive. It is a Memorex mrx-650le v1. I...
  6. Burning a Slideshow to DVD-RW

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Burning a Slideshow to DVD-RW: Can I burn a picture slideshow to a DVD-RW to play on my DV player with Windows 10 Medea software?I've created a slide a slideshow in the Photo app which works fine on my PC. But burning it to a DVD-RWhas alluded me.James...
  7. Unable to burn WinPE ISO to DVD+RW disc

Unable to burn WinPE ISO to DVD+RW disc: I got myself a DVD+RW disk a few days ago, so I decided to burn a WinPE ISO. But after burning, the disc just ejected itself out and when I inserted it again, there was nothing. I tried reburning the ISO file multiple times but it still have nothing in the disc. How do I...
  8. DVD -RW recognizes CDs but thinks there's no disc when DVD in inserted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DVD -RW recognizes CDs but thinks there's no disc when DVD in inserted: I have been facing this problem after updating to Windows version 1903. It continues now after upgrading to version 2004 of May 2020. I have a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653H optical drive on my DELL Vostro 460 desktop. The drive recognizes all CDs that I had written / rewritten...
  9. disc drive wont burn or play dvd

disc drive wont burn or play dvd: disc drive wontplay or burn a dvd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disc-drive-wont-burn-or-play-dvd/a79ad254-93e3-4f3b-a304-724997449e69
  10. How do I burn a dvd-rw disc?

How do I burn a dvd-rw disc?: How do I burn a dvd-rw disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/burning/e319bda1-2d94-4205-85ec-2d709c97a02b