Windows 10: Nested Folder copy/moving hangs for several minutes per folder creating insanely long copy...

Discus and support Nested Folder copy/moving hangs for several minutes per folder creating insanely long copy... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings, I am having an intermittent issue with Windows 10 and the handling of nested sub-directories and moving them around my hard drives. An... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DruidNiam, Jun 15, 2019.

1. DruidNiam Win User

Nested Folder copy/moving hangs for several minutes per folder creating insanely long copy...

Greetings, I am having an intermittent issue with Windows 10 and the handling of nested sub-directories and moving them around my hard drives. An example would be Unraring a file with 8 folders, each folder having 2 sub-directories and 50 files of various types per folder. Unraring the entire example took 7 hours and 41 minutes. Manually moving each folder took around 4 hours, and manually creating each folder tree and only moving the files from folder to folder took about 13 minutes, most of which was making directories and navigating them before copying files. If I manually create the directory tree, then try and copy everything, I get the same result as if I hadn't created the directories at all.

I don't run 3rd party file scanners, I don't run windows defender, I don't even have indexing or windows search enabled.

I've tested this with many combinations of conventional hard drives, ssds, usb drives, rar files, zip files, CD/DVD/BD-Rom images or real media, even a tape drive.

There appears to be one exception to the horrendous speed. If it's a zip/rar file that's been packaged as an MSI installer or generic executable, there isn't any slowdown and the files extract in a timely matter.

I've had this problem going on a couple months now and it hasn't really been a major issue until I went to grab a latest git repository and have 300~ directories and associated files. It's been copying in the background for a little over two days now.

Of side note, explorer.exe stops responding between bursts of file progress, but there are no other ill effects on the system. I can access files and programs on the drives in question with no latency beyond normal HDD seek times.

Any thoughts?

:)

DruidNiam, Jun 15, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 15, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jun 15, 2019
  4. stoggs1 Win User

Nested Folder copy/moving hangs for several minutes per folder creating insanely long copy...

i need help copying and pasting inside windows 10 app folders and subfolders

Im not trying to move anything just trying to copy some files into the app folder but the throws that error message destination folder access denied.

stoggs1, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Nested Folder copy/moving hangs for several minutes per folder creating insanely long copy... - Similar Threads - Nested Folder copy

2. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  3. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  4. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Folder move not copy interrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Folder move not copy interrupted: Hi Team,A friend of mine tried to move not Copy a folder from local computer to the cloud OneDrive. The proess was interrupted for some reason, maybe power outage not sure of the details. But now the Source is missing and the destination has only the folder structure created...
  6. Windows Folder move not copy interrupted

Windows Folder move not copy interrupted: Hi Team,A friend of mine tried to move not Copy a folder from local computer to the cloud OneDrive. The proess was interrupted for some reason, maybe power outage not sure of the details. But now the Source is missing and the destination has only the folder structure created...
  7. Documents folder appears only in OneDrive folder and can't be moved but creates a copy of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder appears only in OneDrive folder and can't be moved but creates a copy of...: I don't use OneDrive. Have it uninstalled. But trying to move the location of the documents folder in This PC tells me that there isn't a documents folder where I'm trying to move it when there is and asks me to move everything from the old location but with every option I...
  8. Documents folder appears only in OneDrive folder and can't be moved but creates a copy of...

Documents folder appears only in OneDrive folder and can't be moved but creates a copy of...: I don't use OneDrive. Have it uninstalled. But trying to move the location of the documents folder in This PC tells me that there isn't a documents folder where I'm trying to move it when there is and asks me to move everything from the old location but with every option I...
  9. Move but not copy Music folder into Documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move but not copy Music folder into Documents: When I had Windows 7, I had literally every single thing in My Documents. Every song, every file, every tax record, every picture...literally everything. That way, when I backed up my hard drive, I just plugged in the My Passport Ultra drive, synced it with My Documents, and...
  10. How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?: How do I do this in Windows 10? I have a folder of files, and I want to copy the folder and all of its contents onto an external hardisk which already contains a folder of the same name, and also contains some of the files that I am now trying to copy. Prior to Windows 10, a...