Windows 10: .Net ActiveX component failing after Windows 10 1903 upgrade

Discus and support .Net ActiveX component failing after Windows 10 1903 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My company has written a couple of .Net ActiveX components that have been running just fine for several years. The components are written in C# and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JeremyHolland1, Aug 21, 2019.

1. .Net ActiveX component failing after Windows 10 1903 upgrade

My company has written a couple of .Net ActiveX components that have been running just fine for several years. The components are written in C# and are dependent on .Net 4.5, but run okay on newer versions of .Net, including .Net 4.8. Recently, we have had customer complaints that these components have stopped working after upgrading to Windows 10 1903. The components appear to work fine for most users that have upgraded to 1903, though. We have not been able to reproduce this issue in-house, so troubleshooting has been very difficult. We have spent many hours attempting to discover what is not working properly through remote sessions with these customers. I’ll provide a summary here of what we have tried.

1. We attempted to target .Net 4.8 specifically. This had no effect.

2. We built a .Net C# test program that executes the ActiveX component directly and tests the interface. This test program was able to load the dll and execute tests without any issue on the broken Windows 10 1903 machines.

3. We built a .Net C# test program that attempts to load the ActiveX component via ActiveX. Basically it tries to instantiate the ActiveX component from the ProgID like this:

dynamic obj = Activator.CreateInstance(Type.GetTypeFromProgID("ISActiveX.ISActiveXMain"));

Then the test program calls methods on obj. When tested on a working system, the test program runs great and can test the interface just fine. When run on a broken Windows 10 1903 system, the call throws an exception. Here is the stack trace:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {3D5F3F28-F066-4F24-B142-6B8720A46691} failed due to the following error: 80070002 The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002).

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)

at ISActiveXTest2.Program.Main(String[] args)

Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to figure out what file is not found. Our component doesn’t depend on anything other than the built-in .Net Framework assemblies. We suspect that some underlying system dependencies are missing, but we have no way to know what those might be.

4. We wrote a program to enumerate the registry keys we know to be required to properly register our ActiveX component. This generates a positive result on the broken Windows 10 1903 systems, so that was a nice double-check, but we did not learn anything new.

5. We used Process Monitor to take a look at what registry keys and such are being accessed. We can see from the registry access that the program attempts to access many keys related to our ActiveX component in order to start it up. It actively attempts to get keys from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT first, and when it fails to find the entries, it goes to HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead. This seems to work happily for so many keys, but when it hits this key below, it does not try for the HKCU equivalent and it then seems to go into an error state (noting this GUID below is owned by our component and the HKCU equivalent is present in the registry):

HKCR\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{3D5F3F28-F066-4F24-B142-6B8720A46691}\InprocServer32

Right after this last registry access, there are a number of file accesses related to mscorrc.dll. We don’t know what mscorrc.dll does, but we did not see this dll being accessed when compared with a successful run of the component on other systems.

At this point, we’re looking into options to write an ActiveX interface layer in C++ to bypass the problem with .Net failing to activate the component. That effort will take some time. We could really use some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this any further. We know the direct cause is the 1903 upgrade as rollback to the previous version resolves the issue. We also realize this could just be caused by the .Net 4.8 upgrade that comes along with 1903.

Is there any way to debug or log activity that occurs during .Net ActiveX component instantiation?

How can we find out what file is missing, as the stack trace indicates?

:)

JeremyHolland1, Aug 21, 2019

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Aug 21, 2019
  3. Win Mobile 5 - How to add ActiveX component to Pocket PC

The website I go requires two certain activeX components. At this website, when a PC version of IE visits the site, the web page asks if I will allow the ActiveX component to be downloaded.

The Win Mobile IE does not get that far - then the website displays an error page with the suggestion that I add it to my trusted zone.

1. How can I add a website to my trusted zone in IE for Win Mobile?

2. May I install the ActiveX components directly myself (like I would do on a PC)?

ohn Cervini, Aug 21, 2019
  4. pterry_FL Win User

.Net ActiveX component failing after Windows 10 1903 upgrade

Visual Studio 2017 Solution Cannot Create ActiveX Component Upgrade to Windows 10

We have a desktop application built in VS 2010 that we have upgraded to VS 2017 but more so the operating system went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the application has a "cannot Create ActiveX Component" error when trying to install the application.
    Actual component is Action on the EventHandler. Also had an upgrade of Excel to 2016 which we have upgraded the interop DLL. What is the process for the DLLs, reregister or reassemble?

pterry_FL, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

.Net ActiveX component failing after Windows 10 1903 upgrade

1. .Net ActiveX component failing after Windows 10 1903 upgrade - Similar Threads - Net ActiveX component

2. .Net framework Cannot create ActiveX component.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .Net framework Cannot create ActiveX component.: trying to run new program and getting error, I have tried in admin mode. still fails. AMD Rysen 9 64 M WIndows 11 Pro 21H2System.Exception: Cannot create ActiveX component. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction.CreateObjectString ProgId, String ServerName at...
  3. .Net framework Cannot create ActiveX component.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .Net framework Cannot create ActiveX component.: trying to run new program and getting error, I have tried in admin mode. still fails. AMD Rysen 9 64 M WIndows 11 Pro 21H2System.Exception: Cannot create ActiveX component. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction.CreateObjectString ProgId, String ServerName at...
  4. upgrade to Windows 10 1903 or 1909 failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade to Windows 10 1903 or 1909 failed: Hello, I've tried upgrade from Windows 10 version 1803 to 1903 or 1909 using different methods automatic update or "using Windows 10 update assistant" or using your "Media Creation Tool". They all seem to fail with "Error 0x80070714". For example, you may find my...
  5. Failing to upgrade to Windows 10, version 1903

Failing to upgrade to Windows 10, version 1903: Hi I have been trying to upgrade windows 10 to windows 10 1903 but I keep getting the same error error 0x800700c1 I have tried many ways but I still get the same error as seen in this photo. [ATTACH] Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Saqib...
  6. upgrade to windows 1903 failes

upgrade to windows 1903 failes: the update is not executed. The system gives the error message 0x80240034 What can I do to solve the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-to-windows-1903-failes/1295a031-9f59-4d6c-a299-a58e3cf8e0d1
  7. Sync Centre failing after upgrading to Windows 10 1903

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sync Centre failing after upgrading to Windows 10 1903: Hi, my Thinkpad X230 was recently upgraded to release 1903 of Windows 10, and now the Sync Centre / offline files feature is playing up, having previously been very reliable (laptop is on a domain, connected to a Server 2102 Essentials R2 box). Since the 1903 upgrade,...
  8. Windows 10 1903 Upgrade Fails

Windows 10 1903 Upgrade Fails: With the urgency to upgrade from 1803 to 1903, I need assistance with this failure to upgrade. I have used this document as a guide: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshoot-feature-update-install-failures/eaf4ff24-64d6-4c72-824c-3ba3df716fc3 I...
  9. Windows 10 1903 failed upgrade

Windows 10 1903 failed upgrade: Hi, I tried several times to upgrade windows 10 to version 1903 but the upgrade failed in all occasions with error code 0XC1900101 – 0x20017. Several sites mention that the problem is associated with device drivers but I have no idea how to fix it. I attempted to upgrade...
  10. Outdated FlashPlayer ActiveX-component in Windows 10 since DAYS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Outdated FlashPlayer ActiveX-component in Windows 10 since DAYS: PSI (Personal Software Inspector) - a tool that checks your system for outdated SW and possible security issues (highly recommended, BTW) - reports SINCE DAYS that the ActiveX version of Flashplayer is out of date and a possible security issue. A "Check for updates" that I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gettypefromprogid system cannot find the file specified

2. cannot write file 1903 update activex

3. windows10 1903 activex

4. windows 10 1903 active x issue