Windows 10: .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1 End of Support on April 26, 2022

Discus and support .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1 End of Support on April 26, 2022 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, and 4.6.1 will reach end of support* on April 26, 2022. After this date, we will no longer provide updates including... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 4, 2021.

1. Brink Win User

.NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1 End of Support on April 26, 2022

.NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, and 4.6.1 will reach end of support* on April 26, 2022. After this date, we will no longer provide updates including security fixes or technical support for these versions.

Customers currently using .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, or 4.6.1 need to update their deployed runtime to a more recent version – at least .NET Framework 4.6.2 before April 26, 2022 – in order to continue to receive updates and technical support.
    *Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2015 shipped with .NET Framework 4.6 built into the OS. This OS version is a long-term servicing channel (LTSC) release. We will continue to support .NET Framework 4.6 on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2015 through end of support of the OS version (October 2025).
    There is no change to the support timelines for any other .NET Framework version, including .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, which will continue to be supported as documented on our .NET Framework Lifecycle FAQ.

Why are we doing this?

The .NET Framework was previously digitally signed using certificates that use the Secure Hash Algorithm 1 (SHA-1). SHA-1 is a legacy cryptographic hashing algorithm that is no longer deemed secure. We are retiring content that were signed using digital certificates that used SHA-1 to support evolving industry standards.

After looking at download and usage data across the different versions of .NET Framework, we found that updating .NET Framework 4.6.2 and newer versions to support newer digital certificates (for the installers) would satisfy the vast majority (98%) of users without them needing to make a change. The small set of users using .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, or 4.6.1 will need to upgrade to a later .NET Framework version to stay supported. Applications do not need to be recompiled. Given the nature of this change, we decided that targeting .NET Framework 4.6.2 and later was the best balance of support and effort.

See this support article on retiring SHA-1 content for more information.

When .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, and 4.6.1 reach end of support, applications that run on top of these versions will continue to run. Starting May 2022, we won’t be issuing security updates for .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, and 4.6.1 when we issue these security updates for .NET Framework 4.6.2 and later versions. This means that starting May 2022, if a computer has .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, or 4.6.1 installed, it may be unsecure. Additionally, if you run into any issue and need technical support, you will be asked to first upgrade to a supported version.

.NET Framework 4.6.2 shipped nearly 5 years ago, and .NET Framework 4.8 shipped 2 years ago, so both versions are solid, stable runtimes for your applications. .NET Framework 4.6.2 and 4.8 are highly compatible in-place updates (replacements) for .NET 4.5.2, 4.6, and 4.6.1 and broadly deployed to hundreds of millions of computers via Windows Update (WU). If your computer is configured to take the latest updates from WU your application is likely already running on .NET Framework 4.8.

If you have not deployed .NET Framework 4.6.2 or a later version yet, you only need to update the runtime on which the application is running to a minimum version of 4.6.2 to stay supported. If your application was built to target .NET Framework 4 – 4.6.1, it should continue to run on .NET Framework 4.6.2 and later without any changes in most cases. There is no need for you to retarget or recompile against .NET Framework 4.6.2. That said, we strongly recommend you validate that the functionality of your app is unaffected when running on the newer runtime version before you deploy the updated runtime in your production environment.

Resources

Here are some other resources you may find helpful:

We are committed to help you ensure your apps work on the latest versions of our software. Should you have any questions that remain unanswered, we’re here to help. You should engage with Microsoft Support through your regular channels for a resolution.

Additionally, if you run into compatibility or app issues as you transition to .NET Framework 4.6.2 or later, there’s App Assure. We’ll help you resolve compatibility issues at no additional cost. You can contact App Assure for remediation support or by email if you experience any challenges submitting your request ([email protected]).

You may also want to look at this FAQ for more detailed answers or questions not covered in this post.

Closing

.NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, and 4.6.1 will be reaching end of support on April 26, 2022 and after this date we will no longer provide updates including security fixes or technical support for these versions. We strongly recommend you migrate your applications to at least .NET Framework 4.6.2 or higher before this date.

Jamshed Damkewala
    Principal Engineering Manager, .NET

Source: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotne...april-26-2022/

:)

Brink, May 4, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Source: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotne...april-26-2022/

Brink, May 4, 2021
  3. Support Ending for the .NET Framework 4, 4.5 and 4.5.1

On January 12, Support Ends for these .NET Framework Versions

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archi...and-4-5-1.aspx

Cluster Head, May 4, 2021
  4. .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1 End of Support on April 26, 2022

In regard to Microsoft .NET Framework 4 install problem

Hello,

I realize your concern. Let me help you with this issue.

To assist you better, share the information.
    1. How did you uninstall the Microsoft .NET Framework 4?
    2. From where are you trying to download the Microsoft .NET Framework 4?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the below steps.
    1. Press Windows + X, and select programs and features.

2. In the Programs and Features window, click Turn Windows features on or off.

3. Under Windows Features dialog, uncheck .NET Framework 4 and click Ok
    when if prompt confirmation.

4. Reboot your PC.

5. Once you reach desktop screen, reopen the Windows Features dialog, and this time
    enable the .NET Framework 4 checkbox, and click Ok.

Do let us know the update.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. .NET Framework 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1 End of Support on April 26, 2022 - Similar Threads - NET Framework End

2. 6 digit pin when it should be 4

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    6 digit pin when it should be 4: Hi there,Last night I added my school account to test some stuff, I then removed it as I had no need for it, I then logged on this afternoon to my regular account and when using my pin it said I had to change it, I then re-entered my regular to change it to it and it says it...
  3. 6 digit pin when it should be 4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    6 digit pin when it should be 4: Hi there,Last night I added my school account to test some stuff, I then removed it as I had no need for it, I then logged on this afternoon to my regular account and when using my pin it said I had to change it, I then re-entered my regular to change it to it and it says it...
  4. 6 digit pin when it should be 4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 1. Properties 2. printing preferences 3. Graphics 4. Font / Text 5. Advanced 6....

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 1. Properties 2. printing preferences 3. Graphics 4. Font / Text 5. Advanced 6....: [ATTACH] Windows 101. Start 2. Settings 3. Devices 4. Printers & scanners 5. Manageone of the printers 6. Printer properties 7. Preferences 8. Graphics 9. Font / Text 10. Advanced 11. Advanced Font / Text Options 12. True Type Options 13. 1Download as Outline 2Download as...
  6. .NET Framework 4 is corrupted

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .NET Framework 4 is corrupted: Okay so I get this error on programs running .NET 4.0.0.0 The error: Could not load file or assembly 'Accesibility, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest. I...
  7. Arrow keys randomly type 2, 4, 6, or 8.

in Windows 10 Support
    Arrow keys randomly type 2, 4, 6, or 8.: Hi everyone, First time poster! Does anyone know how to stop Windows 10 from randomly typing a 2, 4, 6 or 8 when using the arrow keys? Thank you, TO 138117
  8. New Firmware and Driver Updates for Surface Pro 6 - April 4

in Windows 10 News
    New Firmware and Driver Updates for Surface Pro 6 - April 4: The following updates are available for all Surface Pro 6 devices running Windows 10 April 2018 Update, version 1803 or greater: Windows Update History Name Device Manager Name Intel Corporation – Display – 24.20.100.6294 Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 – Display adapters Intel(R)...
  9. .NET Framework 4+

in Windows 10 Customization
    .NET Framework 4+: Hey guys, Just wondering how do I find out what version of .NET Framework i have installed? I have looked in the programs and features, but cannot find anything in there. If its not installed, then how come? This is a new PC and has windows 10 1803 (I will not install...
  10. Support Ending for the .NET Framework 4, 4.5 and 4.5.1

in Windows 10 News
    Support Ending for the .NET Framework 4, 4.5 and 4.5.1: On January 12, Support Ends for these .NET Framework Versions As previously announced, starting January 12, 2016 Microsoft will no longer provide security updates, technical support or hotfixes for .NET 4, 4.5, and 4.5.1 frameworks. All other framework versions,...