Windows 10: Netbios and resolving local DNS names

Discus and support Netbios and resolving local DNS names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having a couple issues with one of my Windows 10 PCs (Windows 10 Pro 64 ver 1909) that appeared after I replaced my LAN's router (replaced D-Link... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sewing1243, May 3, 2020.

1. Netbios and resolving local DNS names

I am having a couple issues with one of my Windows 10 PCs (Windows 10 Pro 64 ver 1909) that appeared after I replaced my LAN's router (replaced D-Link DIR-885L with a TP-Link AX6000).

Issue #1) Registry entry hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\netbt\parameters\interfaces\tcpip_{xxx] netbiosoptions data doesn't change when I change an adapter's (wired or wifi) Tcpv4 WINs netbios options (auto, on, off). The option for the entry should change from (0=auto, 1=0n, and 2=off) to one of the other options when I change the adapter's properties. All entries remain at 0 (auto), but in the adapter's status/details window it shows no mater what option I select:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
    Description: Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
    Physical Address:xx-xx....
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    IPv4 Address: 192.168.x.x
    IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained: Sunday, May 3, 2020 4:20:07 AM
    Lease Expires: Wednesday, June 9, 2156 4:31:28 PM
    IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.x.x
    IPv4 DHCP Server: 192.168.x.x
    IPv4 DNS Servers: 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1
    IPv4 WINS Server:
    ***NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: No***
    Link-local IPv6 Address: xx...
    IPv6 Default Gateway:
    IPv6 DNS Server:

I have confirmed that the data entry ought to change by changing the parameters on my other Windows 10 PCs.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look? Do I even need netbios anymore (some websites I've found say to disable it on all adapters)?

Issue #2) (Same Windows 10 Pro 64 PC) The PC wouldn't/couldn't translate the routers share host name (\\TP=Share) to the routers ip address when trying to connect to router attached Networked hard-drive (all other PCs had no problem connecting using the host name). I could enter \\(ipaddress) and the PC would connect to the share immediately. The PC is having no problem resolving hostnames of the other PC on the network.

My work around was the manually add the ip address and host name to the Hosts file.

Any ideas on where to look to solve this one?

Are these two issues possibly related to a common problem?

:)

sewing1243, May 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 local DNS names intermittently not resolving

Ever since I upgraded my Windows 7 Pro machine to Windows 10 Pro, I have intermittent issues resolving local DNS names. I've checked my primary and secondary DNS servers and the logs don't show any issues that would point to a potential issue on the server
    side. I can ping IP addresses with no problem and internet names are resolving normally, but the local DNS names won't resolve. I end up having to run 'ipconfig /flushdns' to get local DNS to resolve correctly. Is my local DNS cache resolver data becoming
    corrupted? What could be causing this? Any ideas?

HenryArroyo, May 3, 2020
  3. Samuria Win User
    NAS looses DNS name

Welcome to the forum locally DNS isn't used it's NetBIOS how many PCs on the network they look to the PC that is Master browser for the resolution of the name so it's not updating fast enough

Samuria, May 3, 2020
  4. Netbios and resolving local DNS names

Local DNS server is not resolving names when machine is connected to VPN

I'm trying to set up a small VPN Network using OpenVPN which will allow me to connect to my workstation in the office from home.

I've already set up OpenVPN server, generated keys and client config files.
    Everything works I can connect to my work machine in the office from home via RDP but there is one issue - DNS names for local resources cannot be resolved when work PC is connected to my VPN:

I've add our local DNS server to client config file and also added a static route for that, it doesn't work. Here are the current settings on the client:

Client PC OS: Windows 10

client_config.ovpn:

ipconfig /all on the client:

Local DNS server is available via ping:

Static route to it is also working fine judging by tracert:

What am I missing?

Ilya Khadykin, May 3, 2020
Thema:

Netbios and resolving local DNS names

1. Netbios and resolving local DNS names - Similar Threads - Netbios resolving local

2. DNS RESOLVE ISSUES

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS RESOLVE ISSUES: I have An Ad with 2 DC with DNS , I have Some servers which needs to go on internet , but not others. IF i configure Forwarders all Servers will resolve public DNS queries .If I am adding secondary DNS as public DNS , public DNS queries are not resolved , If i Move it to the...
  3. DNS RESOLVE ISSUES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS RESOLVE ISSUES: I have An Ad with 2 DC with DNS , I have Some servers which needs to go on internet , but not others. IF i configure Forwarders all Servers will resolve public DNS queries .If I am adding secondary DNS as public DNS , public DNS queries are not resolved , If i Move it to the...
  4. DNS RESOLVE ISSUES

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. NetBios names in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NetBios names in Windows 11: I have a NAS named BlackArmor with IP address 192.168.4.150. My hosts and lmhosts files contain the mapping blackarmor = 192.168.4.150 and using lmhosts for NetBios names is enabled. Prior to the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11, I could map folders on my NAS to drives...
  6. NetBios names in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NetBios names in Windows 11: I have a NAS named BlackArmor with IP address 192.168.4.150. My hosts and lmhosts files contain the mapping blackarmor = 192.168.4.150 and using lmhosts for NetBios names is enabled. Prior to the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11, I could map folders on my NAS to drives...
  7. Renaming domain-joined machines so DNS = NetBIOS name...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Renaming domain-joined machines so DNS = NetBIOS name...: We have three computers that are joined to the domain that need to be renamed due to the fact that the DNS name doesn't match the NetBIOS name (the DNS name is too long and needs a few characters shaved off of it so it can fit in the NetBIOS 15-character limit imposed by...
  8. dns resolve not existent names to strange ip

dns resolve not existent names to strange ip: It has been a long time that my computer resolve names to strange ip when resolving not existent names. For example today ping pippo.pluto.paperino resolves to ip 173.45.161.113 see below. Has anybody ever experienced this phenomenon, sometimes very annoying ie test for...
  9. Netbios

Netbios: I've seen lots of problems with Windows 10 and Netbios. I am unable to netbios from a win 10 machine to any other. Works fine from a Windows 7 machine. I've tried every single change I could find for the registry, firewall, hosts, lmhosts, you name it and I've tried it. Still...
  10. DNS not resolved on material.angularjs.org

DNS not resolved on material.angularjs.org: Hello! I'm taking a course which needs Angular2, and the website is not possible to reach. I have a ZTE F668 ONT router, DIGI Hungary network provider. The router is able to ping the website with built in tool. Android devices on the local WiFi network can open the...