Windows 10: NetBIOS discovery

Discus and support NetBIOS discovery in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi---one of computers connected to home LAN running Windows 10 can't be viewed in Network control panel of others. What are the services required to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Anakunda, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Anakunda Win User

NetBIOS discovery

Hi---one of computers connected to home LAN running Windows 10 can't be viewed in Network control panel of others. What are the services required to be started on both guest and host computers to show local computer automatically in Explorer under Network branch? I have walked all services on the "invisible" computer and didn't find anything related to NetBIOS, SMB. I still can access shared resources of the "invisible" computer by specifying them by UNC path, ie. \\ASUS\Windows_10\ opens the system drive root folder on any computer.

:)

Anakunda, Aug 15, 2018

2. WSD vs Netbios Network Discovery

I have to say this must be a question no one can answer in a straight forward way. Let's start with saying that Microsoft has introduced an undated (or a new version of) network discovery topology in Windows 10 that is not compatible with older Windows OS's. I never had issues with Windows 7 and Windows XP home networking. I don't remember having to deal with services called "Function Discovery...". Never had issues with my computers "not" being listed in Network Places either. Of course the so-called discovery method between W7 and XP was NetBIOS.

In my mixed W10 (Home and Pro) and W7 network, WSD has problems maintaining the list of computer names in Network Places. Specifically, the computer name associated with the computer running W10 Home keeps disappearing after 30 minutes or so. The only way to make it reappear is to restart the "Function Discovery Resource Publication" service on the computer. This is a major pain. So I assume this is an undocumented bug. I don't know if Microsoft is aware or has addressed it.

My solution was to disable the service and let NetBIOS take over as the discovery method for the computers on my LAN. Here's what I did: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking

I would like to use WSD, but until MS fixes the service on W10 Home, I'll stay with NetBIOS. Is it true that MS is dumping Network Places in Windows 10? If so, what will replace it?

lintek25475, Aug 15, 2018
  3. WSD vs Netbios Network Discovery

Good stuff. I agree with it all. I don't mind which discovery method is used mind you. I just wished it actually worked. On my W10 Home computer, the FDRP service just dies even though the service displays it is running when I open services.msc. I know this by looking in Network Places on the other computers on my network. The W10 Home is not found in the list. When I restart the service, bam! It comes back. As for NetBIOS, that discovery method and using one computer (with the Computer Browser service on) to maintain the list in a mixed Windows network environment consistently works.

I don't know where MS is trying to take us in terms of a home networking methodology, but I hope they get there soon and tell us what to expect. I hope it's not that HomeGroup crap either. Every update is causing me hours of frustration getting my file sharing to work again. I make changes and the updates seems to revert my changes to MS defaults. Mind-boggling.

4. NetBIOS discovery

WSD vs Netbios Network Discovery

Oh no. Guess what I just discovered. Like I said, it doesn't really matter which discovery method is used. Just want it to work. I know NetBIOS does. But W10 Home computer name disappears in Network Places when not using NetBIOS which means WSD is being used. So I performed another tweak.

- Disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP for all adaptor properties
    - Turn on Network Discovery from Advanced Sharing Settings>Network discovery
    - (This was the first additional tweak) On the W10 Home computer uncheck the box for "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices"
    - Disable the Computer Browser service on all
    - Set FDRP (publication) and FDPH (provider) services to "manual"
    - (This was the second additional tweak) On the W10 Home computer I set HomeGroup Provider service from "manual" to "automatic"

Now all the computer names are displayed and stable. But, you mention MS is going to get rid of HomeGroup. That's the thing which makes WSD stable in my mixed network environment.

Thema:

NetBIOS discovery

1. NetBIOS discovery - Similar Threads - NetBIOS discovery

2. netbios outside segment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    netbios outside segment: HelloHow do I query for the name of a host outside of my network segment?Eg.:My host is MYPC with IP 192.168.1.3 1.x subnetThe other host has IP 192.168.3.9 3.x subnet...
  3. netbios outside segment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    netbios outside segment: HelloHow do I query for the name of a host outside of my network segment?Eg.:My host is MYPC with IP 192.168.1.3 1.x subnetThe other host has IP 192.168.3.9 3.x subnet...
  4. Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft starts to phase out NetBIOS and LLMNR to focus on mDNS: Microsoft's Windows operating system supports several multicast name resolution protocols, including NetBIOS and LLMNR. The state of the art protocol that is widely used today is mDNS, while the protocols NetBIOS and LLMNR are not widely used anymore. [ATTACH] In Aligning...
  5. NetBios names in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NetBios names in Windows 11: I have a NAS named BlackArmor with IP address 192.168.4.150. My hosts and lmhosts files contain the mapping blackarmor = 192.168.4.150 and using lmhosts for NetBios names is enabled. Prior to the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11, I could map folders on my NAS to drives...
  6. NetBios names in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NetBios names in Windows 11: I have a NAS named BlackArmor with IP address 192.168.4.150. My hosts and lmhosts files contain the mapping blackarmor = 192.168.4.150 and using lmhosts for NetBios names is enabled. Prior to the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11, I could map folders on my NAS to drives...
  7. CLI: How can I get an IP address from a CIFS NETBIOS name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CLI: How can I get an IP address from a CIFS NETBIOS name?: Hi All, Windows 10, pro and home In Windows Explorer not IE, when I click on Network in the left column, I get a list of computer CIFS broadcast names in the right pane. Well, after a bit. I know how to add the IP column in Windows explorer, but ..Is there a way to translate...
  8. NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled?

NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled?: On previous versions of Windows, I've always disabled NetBIOS over Tcp/IP. Are we still doing that? I'm on a stand alone computer, with all Sharing disabled. No network, no printers. As far as I know I have no programs that require it. What is the current thinking on this?...
  9. How to enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 10: [ATTACH]NetBIOS or Network Basic Input/Output System is an API used in Windows when DNS […] This article How to enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  10. WSD vs Netbios Network Discovery

WSD vs Netbios Network Discovery: What is the difference between WSD and Netbios? Is one preferred over the other? What kind of problems are associated with failing to use one or the other? 82943

Users found this page by searching for:

1. netbios discovery

2. NETBIOS discovery scan

3. netbios name discovery

4. netbios discovery issues on windows 10,
  5. my home network has discovery method netbios and wsd,
  6. netbios windows discovery,
  7. windows 10 netbios discovery