Windows 10: NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled?

Discus and support NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On previous versions of Windows, I've always disabled NetBIOS over Tcp/IP. Are we still doing that? I'm on a stand alone computer, with all Sharing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ghot, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Ghot Win User

NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled?

On previous versions of Windows, I've always disabled NetBIOS over Tcp/IP.
    Are we still doing that?

I'm on a stand alone computer, with all Sharing disabled. No network, no printers.
    As far as I know I have no programs that require it. What is the current thinking on this?

:)

2. Genezz Win User

Queries regarding NETBIOS over TCP-IP in Windows 10

Original Title: NETBIOS over TCP-IP

Should NETBIOS over TCP-IP be enabled or disabled in Win-10? My PC is not shared, just accesses the internet directly via ISP. All discussion pertains top earlier versions of Windows.

Genezz, Apr 15, 2021
  3. NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled?

I just found the default on my 20H2.

NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled? [​IMG]

Matthew Wai, Apr 15, 2021
  4. NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled?

Queries regarding NETBIOS over TCP-IP in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

NetBIOS over TCP/IP provides the NetBIOS programming interface over the TCP/IP protocol, extending the reach of NetBIOS client and server programs to the IP internetworks and providing interoperability with various other operating systems.

As I can see in your post, you have not connected to any networks. So NetBIOS over TCP-IP does not make any differences in your system.

You can read more about NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the following article.

Click on,
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940063.aspx?ppud=4

Hope it helps. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled?

1. NetBIOS over Tcp/IP - Do I want this enabled? - Similar Threads - NetBIOS Tcp enabled

2. how do I enable TCP 2.0?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I enable TCP 2.0?: I am unclear how to enable TCP 2.0 for Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-enable-tcp-20/b5a413a9-a751-4620-b591-8458bf7c9175
  3. how do I enable TCP 2.0?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I enable TCP 2.0?: I am unclear how to enable TCP 2.0 for Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-enable-tcp-20/b5a413a9-a751-4620-b591-8458bf7c9175
  4. how do I enable TCP 2.0?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 10: [ATTACH]NetBIOS or Network Basic Input/Output System is an API used in Windows when DNS […] This article How to enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Netbios over tcpip question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Netbios over tcpip question: Do i need netbios enabled on my personal laptop for school work or can I just disable it? I been using my laptop for creating virtual machines to practice making domains and promoting the server to a domain controller.. I don't think NETBIOS should have any problems on my...
  7. Unable to enable Net BIOS over TCP/IP in PowerShell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to enable Net BIOS over TCP/IP in PowerShell: Hi, I cant work out how to enable tcp ip in powershell. i can change it in the network adapter settings but it still shows disabled when i ipconfig /all. Im trying to get my desktop to see my laptop and NAS that is on the network. my laptop can see everything fine. Ive...
  8. netbios over tcpip

netbios over tcpip: NetBIOS over tcpip is turned off. changing the setting in adapter setting doesn't fix this problem. is there a registry setting that can fix this problem. also even when this was set to yes, I could not see computers in network / file explorer windows 10 pro 1803...
  9. Icloud for windows 7.5.0 breaks service TCP/IP Netbios Helper

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icloud for windows 7.5.0 breaks service TCP/IP Netbios Helper: Once I upgraded from Icloud for Windows version 7.4 to version 7.5.0.34 I found that TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper was continuously using 15% CPU which it had not previously done, and file explorer was non responsive when I clicked on the menu bar where I had it. I was able to get a...
  10. Can´t enable NetBIOS over tcpip

Can´t enable NetBIOS over tcpip: Hi I have problem with network sharing from one of my computer i my Homenetwork. With Ipconfig /all I found that NetBIOS over tcpip is disabled the on network adapter even if enabled in WINS properties and Regedit. Is there a way to enable it or another solution to...