Windows 10: Netbios WINS browsing doesn't work after hardware upgrade ?

Discus and support Netbios WINS browsing doesn't work after hardware upgrade ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Well, this is a real head scratcher... While I know that you really should do a completely clean installation when upgrading your motherboard, I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by spacedog, Dec 11, 2018.

1. spacedog Win User

Netbios WINS browsing doesn't work after hardware upgrade ?

Well, this is a real head scratcher...

While I know that you really should do a completely clean installation when upgrading your motherboard, I was going from a pretty recent Asus mobo and Intel CPU to a newer one so I thought I would see how it goes in case I could save myself the huge amount of time it will take me to completely rebuild and reconfigure everything on my Win10 x64 system (I have *a lot* of utilities and specialty apps installed/configured for work purposes).

Anyways, it has actually gone remarkably well and my system appears to be working perfectly fine except for this one issue.

I simply cannot browse or connect to other samba / CIFS / windows network shares like I did pre-upgrade. I can connect if I use the IP address, but I can't discover and see anything by it's WINS / Netbios names.

I know about the deprecation of SMB 1.0 in 1809 (or whatever it was) and I have that re-enabled with no effect.

I've done all the major and typical things like ensure netbios is enabled in IPv4 stack, manually re-activating all the services like:

• Network Location AwarenessNetwork Connections / Connectivity Asst
    • Network List ServiceUPnP Device HostDNS ClientFunction Discovery Resource PublicationSSDP Discovery
    • TCP/IP Netbios Helper
    • (and a few others that are slipping my mind at this moment, but I pretty much checked every possible service)
    • set the Local Security Policy on the Lanmanager with no results.
    • Windows Credentials via control panel has been cleared.
    • All shares turned off.
    • Full Network Reset via Windows 10 settings
    • Removed hidden adapters
    • Tried WLAN versus LAN adapters
    • ipconfig /flushdns
    • ipconfig /registerdns
    • ipconfig /release
    • ipconfig /renew
    • netsh int ip reset
    • netsh winsock reset
    • sfc /scannow and DISM restore health

No matter what I try, I cannot find local SMB shares by calling out their computer / WINS names (e.g. "\\mediaserver"). Only by calling it via IP (e.g. "\\192.168.1.4")

When I do a 'diagnose' it always throws an 0x80070035 error.

Interestingly I ran nirsoft's netbios scanner and it doesn't even see the netbios shares that I can connect to via IP address.

I've also tried changing and leaving the workgroup and turning on/off all the network discovery settings.

I'm totally stumped.

Possible clues/weirdness:

I see my own computer appear twice in the network browser and one iteration has an active share from my D drive, but I have no such share listed via NET SHARE or in the management console?

The WINS/Netbios name of my Synology NAS appears, but when I open it, it is empty. If I enter the IP address of my NAS, I can access it fine though.

Occasionally, I can see my laptop, but I get the 0x80070035 when i try to connect to it. My laptop never sees this computer and it cannot connect to it even via it's IP address.

:)

spacedog, Dec 11, 2018

2. CD-ROM doesn`t work with win 10

After I installed Win 10 my CD ROM doesn`t work any longer. Does somebody have an solution?

geirrykhus, Dec 11, 2018
  3. Windows Edge still doesn`t work correctly

Hi,

Thanks for your ideas. I tried exactly as you said but it made absolutely no difference.

I still can`t download, still doesn`t remember login details although it still asks me if I want the details remembered.

Do you or anybody else have any ideas to help. It`s too late now for me to go back to Win 8.1 so I`m stuck with an os that doesn`t work properly.

Thank you.

Graham Laughlan, Dec 11, 2018
  4. Netbios WINS browsing doesn't work after hardware upgrade ?

Double Tap doesn`t work on Lumia 620

Hello,

Double Tap to wake doesn`t work at my Lumia 620. I have all on in settings but still doesn`t work. I`m pretty sure that in update AMBER or BLACK this function works properly. But after DENIM update doesn`t. Maybe you are planning some update for this future
    ?

Thanks

Mariusz

MariuszBluma, Dec 11, 2018
Thema:

Netbios WINS browsing doesn't work after hardware upgrade ?

1. Netbios WINS browsing doesn't work after hardware upgrade ? - Similar Threads - Netbios WINS browsing

2. Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working: I build my computer over a decade ago. I had upgraded from XP to 7 pro, to 8 pro, to 10 pro. The issue I have is that I had a working computer last week. I decided to upgrade my 6-year-old computer to a new motherboard/CPU/Memory because it was time.Saturday I bought a new...
  3. Internal mic doesn't work after upgrade to win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internal mic doesn't work after upgrade to win 10: Upgraded Sony Vaio from win 7 to 10. The internal mic doesn't hear anything in cortana or speech to text. The bar doesn't move in mic test in setup. Says computer doesn't hear anything in microphone setup. BUT it works just fine on Zoom and Skype and and my grandson can talk...
  4. Bluetooth doesn't work after Hardware upgrade.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth doesn't work after Hardware upgrade.: I recently did a hardware upgrade. I upgraded my motherboard to ASRock X 570 Phantom Gaming 4S, Ryzen 5 3rd gen 3600, 16 Gig DDR 3600, Nvidia 2060 KO, Intel 660 p M.2 2280 1 TB. I kept my Intel AC 8260 Dual band WiFi, Bluetooth network card that worked just fine before the...
  5. WiFi doesn't work after win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi doesn't work after win 10 upgrade: I know there have been many posts about this. I have tried updating the wireless driver, removing it and reinstalling it, changing the power setting to always on, removing my anti virus, etc. - basically everything that has been posted I have tried. My wifi will work for...
  6. Chromebook upgraded to win 10, lots of hardware not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Chromebook upgraded to win 10, lots of hardware not working: Hello everyone, I recently took my older Lenovo 100s Chromebook out and put it do good use by putting Windows 10 on it. However, while doing so many of the peripherals stopped working: Microphone Speakers (HDMI audio not tested) Mousepad (USB mouse works) Volume controls...
  7. Netbios

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Netbios: I've seen lots of problems with Windows 10 and Netbios. I am unable to netbios from a win 10 machine to any other. Works fine from a Windows 7 machine. I've tried every single change I could find for the registry, firewall, hosts, lmhosts, you name it and I've tried it. Still...
  8. Windows re-activation doesn't work after major hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows re-activation doesn't work after major hardware upgrade: Hi, I have earlier upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10pro for free, so I have a digital lisence. Windows version is 1809. I made a major upgrade (motherboard, CPU, memory & graphics adapter), but kept hard drive & Windows untouched. Activation error code is 0xC004C003....
  9. Unable to browse with Chrome/Vivaldi after upgrade to Win 10 1803

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to browse with Chrome/Vivaldi after upgrade to Win 10 1803: Since I upgraded to 1803 this morning, both chrome and vivaldi stop being able to reach most websites quickly after signing in (the first one or two attempts work). Sites that do not use https seem to remain accessible, though at very slow speed. It also may be related to...
  10. Unable to browse with Chrome/Vivaldi after upgrade to Win 10 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to browse with Chrome/Vivaldi after upgrade to Win 10 1803: Since I upgraded to 1803 this morning, both chrome and vivaldi stop being able to reach most websites quickly after signing in (the first one or two attempts work). Sites that do not use https seem to remain accessible, though at very slow speed. It also may be related to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. NetBIOS wins resolution win10 1803