Windows 10: Netbook external monitor resolution issues

Discus and support Netbook external monitor resolution issues in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I am having issues with external monitor resolution in my netbook with Windows 10 Monitor: HP Pavilion 22cw, (my current desktop monitor) using VGA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by derek10, Jul 11, 2016.

1. derek10 Win User

Netbook external monitor resolution issues

I am having issues with external monitor resolution in my netbook with Windows 10

Monitor: HP Pavilion 22cw, (my current desktop monitor) using VGA

If I select "Extend desktop" then the monitor is set to 1920x1080 just fine and the netbook's screen shows fine.
    But if I select it to output just to the external monitor, then the resolution menu is greyed out and the resolution is stuck at 800x600. Obviously, the netbook screen turns off.

AFAIK with Win 7 I hadn't any issues.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

:)

derek10, Jul 11, 2016

2. Fuzzy fonts and large icons on external monitor - Is scaling the issue?

Yes, shortly after posting I realized my solution fixed the external monitor and got rid of the huge font and boxes, but made the fonts and boxes small in my main monitor.

The problem for me is that I have a Surface Pro 4 (4k resolution) with an external monitor that's only 1080p. Since 4k is four times the resolution of 1080p then scaling is always off.

I fixed the issue by buying a 4k external monitor that I'll use for gaming and at the same time fix this issue. (they are spendy though). If both monitors have the same resolution the scaling will work.

MartinParrao, Jul 11, 2016
  3. pmlogg Win User
    Windows 10 Screen Resolution for Netbooks

Thanks for your reply

1. The Netbook is a Lenovo S10-2

2. The normal resolution is 1024x600 but under Windows XP it can be driven at 1024x768 with part of the application window only accessible by vertical scrolling up or down, but not distorted in either dimension. Not sure if the built-in screen can be driven
    at resolutions greater than that. It can certainly drive greater resolutions when attached to an external monitor.

3. No, I'm not talking about a desktop image, I'm referring to use within applications which have a minimum resolution of 1024x768.

Thanks

pmlogg, Jul 11, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Intel Graphics ? try making a 1920x1080 Profile for the second monitor and use Intel options to switch not the Win10 built in App instead , think that's what I did for my old EeePC

Kbird, Jul 11, 2016
  5. derek10 Win User
    Thanks. Yes it's an Intel GMA 3150. I will install the Intel software and check it out

derek10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Netbook external monitor resolution issues - Similar Threads - Netbook external monitor

2. External Monitor Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitor Issue: I have an Asus Vivobook Pro X580VD-ds76t for the past 2 years and it has been working completely fine with an external monitor HDMI-HDMI. Ever since yesterday when I tried to connect it via HDMI-DisplayPort to a Lenovo monitor for the first time, it didnt work whatsoever. I...
  3. Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor

Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor: I have a Surface Laptop 3, and a Viotek 34" ultrawide monitor, connected through the Microsoft docking station using Display port to Mini-Display port. When I originally connected my laptop, I was able to adjust the external monitor's resolution with no problem. Recently,...
  4. External Monitor Resolution is abnormal

External Monitor Resolution is abnormal: When I switch two monitors, resolution is abnormal... 1. Connect first monitor(Dell U3818DW) via HDMI cable 2. Unplug HDMI cable 3. Connect second monitor(Dell S2817Q) via HDMI cable 4. Screen resolution did not auto change to "recommend resolution"...
  5. External Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor Resolution: Last update, my laptop came back with the resolution of the external monitor set back to 1024x768, with its normal 1280x1024 not available to select. How do I get that resolution back?...
  6. External Monitor Issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Monitor Issues: I have an MSI Stealth Notebook and I am running Windows 10. I Have two external monitors, both I-Inc iL272s which only have VGA and DVI inputs. I bought two converters, a HDMI to VGA and a mini display port to VGA so that I could use each of the monitors separately. It works...
  7. Monitor Resolution Issue

Monitor Resolution Issue: I recently got a Samsung 22A300B 21.5" 1080p 60Hz as my temp 3rd monitor. When I hooked it up to my computer through my GTX1080, (even though the monitor says that the optimal resolution for it to be set at is 1080p) windows won't let me increase the resolution above...
  8. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?: Hey everyone, I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode. The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900. How do I change the...
  9. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...
  10. Monitor Resolution Issue

Monitor Resolution Issue: Since upgrading my desktop PC to Windows 10, I've been having an issue with the monitor. Icons are large, and stretched out. So, I went in to change the resolution, and noticed that they display reads as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor," and when I try to change it to a higher...