Windows 10: Netplwiz no password login, adds phantom account

Discus and support Netplwiz no password login, adds phantom account in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi guys, I've read 50 websites and too many to count reddit post's regarding this. I cannot get it. I want no login password or pin required on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sua16, Apr 19, 2020.

1. /u/sua16 Win User

Netplwiz no password login, adds phantom account

Hi guys,

I've read 50 websites and too many to count reddit post's regarding this.

I cannot get it.

I want no login password or pin required on start up. So I do the usual through netplwiz.

Everytime it adds a second account to the login screen that can't actually be logged into anyway. I've enabled and disabled 20 times.

I use to have it set up fine. But just built a new PC and cannot get no password, no second account set up

Ideas?

submitted by /u/sua16
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sua16, Apr 19, 2020
  2. demonguy Win User

How to auto login windows 10 if i use Microsoft account?

I didn't solve this by your suggestion. However, i reinstalled windows10, and log in with Microsoft account from start. Then netplwiz works well.

I found a interesting phenomenon. After unchecking the box of netplwiz, and type a wrong password, netplwiz will also exit with no error. Does it mean netplwiz only sotres the password i input and use this for logging in?

I have two hypothesises about netplwiz.
    1. auto login feature is a kernel feature, netplwiz just call this feature, the password you need to input after unchecking the box is just for authentication of current user.
    2. auto login feature is provided at userspace by netplwiz. the password you need to input after unchecking the box is stored somewhere and netplwiz will use this password to log in windows

At first i think first one is correct, but now it seems that second is correct, am i right?

demonguy, Apr 19, 2020
  3. EdBattle Win User
    How to find phantom user account to delete it

When I turn on the PC every day, the W10 login screen defaults to a 'phantom' login with the correct user name, but lacking a usable password option. Whatever password it wants, I don't have it.

I then click on a second option which is the same correct user name, but is actually my MS account, with my Outlook.com email address, password and PIN. I can then proceed to login. It's my correct Administrator account with all related information running
    perfectly.

I cannot find the alternate 'phantom' user account that the computer initially defaults to every day, and which doesn't work. When I search for it, the 'phantom' account doesn't pop up as a Guest or Administrator account under User Accounts, so I can't remove
    it. It's in there somewhere, but how to find it?

A fix would be gratefully appreciated, as it adds unnecessary steps every time I logon to my computer.

EdBattle, Apr 19, 2020
  4. Netplwiz no password login, adds phantom account

Phantom account problem unresolved

Definitely not a virus.

Rather, I started getting that phantom user when trying to get rid of the annoying password requirement of Windows 10 using netplwiz as suggested by some here.

Not only does the program not do it, but now I end up with a phantom user that can't be deleted.

PikaChule1, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

Netplwiz no password login, adds phantom account

1. Netplwiz no password login, adds phantom account - Similar Threads - Netplwiz password login

2. Add a password to primary account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a password to primary account: I was running win11 Home. Just recently upgraded to win11 PRO.Was using fingerprint reader or PIN to login to primary account. Never had or used password for login.But now I need to login to my primary account from RDP. The problem is RDP prompts for a password which I...
  3. Add a password to primary account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a password to primary account: I was running win11 Home. Just recently upgraded to win11 PRO.Was using fingerprint reader or PIN to login to primary account. Never had or used password for login.But now I need to login to my primary account from RDP. The problem is RDP prompts for a password which I...
  4. Used “netplwiz” to change computer name .. now can not login .. forgot password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Used “netplwiz” to change computer name .. now can not login .. forgot password: I changed the name using “netplwiz”.. now I am trying to login but it says “Your password was changed on a different device. You must sign into this device with your new password and the. You can sign in with your PIN.“I remember the PIN but don’t remember the password .My...
  5. Disabling Login via netplwiz Not Working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Login via netplwiz Not Working: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/tuxify [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h8lany/disabling_login_via_netplwiz_not_working/
  6. Phantom account help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Phantom account help: Hello, Recently a new account has been showing up on my computer that I did not create. The account goes by the name of "Jeff". The account is not password protected and when I log into it, it goes through first time set up. I have deleted this "Jeff" account multiple times...
  7. Login Password changed to microsoft account password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Password changed to microsoft account password: I have been using the same password to login to my computer for 3 years and I have not changed any settings or logged into the Microsoft store. I have updated my pc many times and still used the same password but after putting to sleep it wants to use my microsoft account...
  8. Phantom User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Phantom User Account: Hello, I upgraded my ASUS QF550/Windows 8.1 to Windows 10/Threshold II after the MS invitation. I'm also using ESET Smart Security. The upgrade went smoothly and my computer is running better than ever. However, I've noticed that a mysterious phantom user account keeps...
  9. incorrect password after netplwiz

incorrect password after netplwiz: Hello. I wanted to disable login password to I ran netplwiz and unchecked that requirement. It worked, but now when I turn on my computer, it says my password or username is incorrect. I click ok and it gives me two "users" on the lower left hand corner. I choose the correct...
  10. Phantom local account

Phantom local account: I'm trying to setup winows 10 media PC with just a local account an no password required during login However, whenever the "no password" option is set on netplswiz two users with the same local account show up in the startup screen. You then need to select one to get in....