Windows 10: netplwiz with local id acct initially setup worked but now with microsoft id acct is...

Discus and support netplwiz with local id acct initially setup worked but now with microsoft id acct is... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; My elderly mother-in-law's PC was initially set up with a local id account. And, a couple of years ago, I setup netplwiz to allow automatic login... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by slprofile, Jun 4, 2020.

1. slprofile Win User

netplwiz with local id acct initially setup worked but now with microsoft id acct is...

My elderly mother-in-law's PC was initially set up with a local id account. And, a couple of years ago, I setup netplwiz to allow automatic login without having to enter the password each time. This worked fine.

Now it is set up with a Microsoft id account. I'm not sure how this happened, but I think she was prompted to do something, and later ended up with a Microsoft account to login with. And, it only shows her hotmail address in the username field of netplwiz. Her local account id name is no longer there. What happened to it?

Here is our issue: When she turns on her PC, it automatically comes up with an incorrect password message. So she manually types in a password and she is able to use her pc. However, this should not happen. The PC should login automatically as it did when she used to have only a local id.

Is it possible that the older local account id password is conflicting with the Microsoft account id password?

Additionally, netplwiz only shows her Microsoft account id in the Username field. And, The box with -User must enter a username and password on this PC, is unchecked. I don't recall if I am able to check that box again, I don't think it lets me. And, the Add, Remove, and Properties boxes are grayed out.

At the bottom, I see a message with her Hotmail address. And, To change your password, go to PC settings and select Users. The Reset Password button is grayed out, but the OK button below it is able to be clicked.

How do I resolve this conflict?

:)

slprofile, Jun 4, 2020
  2. NickTh Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

I think you can take extra mesurments like two-step authentication, but as you said, using an MS Acct needs you to be more carefull than a local one.

NickTh, Jun 4, 2020
  3. denmarfl Win User
    User Account; Tried to Switch from Microsoft Acct to Local Acct.....

Upgraded my Win7 32bit Desktop to Windows10 Home. The setup process did not include requesting I sign into my Microsoft acct by entering my ID and Password. I Don't even know if that was possible to do with Win7.....but no matter, If it was available, I
    never used it.

When I was setting up Cortana....it requested my Microsoft ID and Password to complete Cortana Setup. Don't know if I could have skipped it, didn't see anything to allow skip. Now of Course, powering up Desktop I must enter my Microsoft Password. This
    is a feature I do not want to use. Another desktop I upgraded to 10....but it did not have a Microphone so I couldn't complete the Cortana setup, that PC does not require I enter my Microsoft password (or Pin)....at the sign on window I click on it and it
    goes right to Win10.

On The desktop I did setup Cortana, and now on power On I must enter my Microsoft Password, I went to Win10, All Settings, ACCOUNTS...clicked "Sign in with a local account instead" , it requested I enter my Password, I did....next screen requires I enter
    Password and Password Hint and reads from now you'll sign into Windows with a Local account from now on. Since I am being asked to enter a Password....seems like I will still be required to enter a Password when the Desktop is Powered On.

*****I do not want to be required to use a Password when Powering on my PC......How can I configure it so I do not have to enter a Password at Power On??

*****After I re-configure not to be required to use a Password....seems I'll be using a Local Acct...NO PASSWORD required....can I switch back later if I decide to.....powering Desktop signing into my Microsoft acct...using my Microsoft Password...How?

*****Using a local acct, will Cortana still allow me to speak to her and get verbal and search answers?

denmarfl, Jun 4, 2020
  4. Likity Win User

netplwiz with local id acct initially setup worked but now with microsoft id acct is...

My mispelledmail acct

one of my e mail addresses is misspelled, but is one of those accts that pops up when I go to log in to an e mail acct. How do I remove this misspelled acct from this list of accts that pop up as suggestions when I begin typing in the email acct I want.

and change the spelling

Likity, Jun 4, 2020
Thema:

1. netplwiz with local id acct initially setup worked but now with microsoft id acct is... - Similar Threads - netplwiz local acct

2. MS teams acct setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  3. MS teams acct setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS teams acct setup: My company advises us to create microsoft account that will be connected in the ms teams within their org. Why can't I connect to the company org account? I tried signing out my previous teams account which is a school acct but everytime I open their link it just...
  4. Microsoft Acct.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Acct.: I noticed the other day that my personal laptop had my work computers desktop stuff on it. I probably did something at work where I logged into my one-drive and accidentally synced my work computer to my personal one drive. I was able to sign out of my one drive account on my...
  5. Microsoft Acct Identification

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Acct Identification: I purchased a used Desktop PC from a Donation center...it had not apprently been used for quite sometime as it was running Windows 10 1703 version. I let it run Windows Updates and it installed version 1903. Windows defender is showing I need to Sign into my Microsoft...
  6. change microsoft acct.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    change microsoft acct.: Good Day Sir, Maam: If I change my admin account to different active Microsoft account. Is my Laptop Windows 10 Os get Affected, and not run Smothly,then other application installed get affected too? Thank you for Big Help. Regards Jeff....
  7. Deleteing a Microsoft acct

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleteing a Microsoft acct: I had a Microsoft account with the same name as my old email address. I cancelled that email account when it was compromised. That left me unable to access the Microsoft account with the same name. Now I am unable to cancel the Microsoft account. can anyone help me?...
  8. microsoft acct

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft acct: i get notice that my microsoft acct needs to be repaired https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-acct/4dfe1e78-a141-4ad4-9350-6fed212e7c37
  9. microsoft acct

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    microsoft acct: hello everyone i have a question, i have 1 pc and a laptop at home that use my same microsoft hotmail acct login,i upgraded one pc to windows 10,the other is win 8.1,what i wanted to find out is if there would be any issues with using my same login on 2 separate devices.i do...
  10. MS Acct vs Local acct

in Windows 10 Support
    MS Acct vs Local acct: I see posts referencing local account and can't wrap my head around why users are opting for a local acct. *Huh I have several machines running on a home network, all with an MS account, and all log in without a password. What's not to like *Huh Why is a local...