Windows 10: netsh portproxy bug; allows connection from wrong interface

Discus and support netsh portproxy bug; allows connection from wrong interface in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a network setup with a primary network adapter with 192.168.173.X/24 which is the internal network. I also have a Microsoft KM-TEST Loopback... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by d3x0r, Apr 5, 2019.

1. d3x0r Win User

netsh portproxy bug; allows connection from wrong interface

I have a network setup with a primary network adapter with 192.168.173.X/24 which is the internal network.

I also have a Microsoft KM-TEST Loopback Adapter with (PUBLICIP)/24 on it. So the only way I can connect to PUBLICIP is by connecting from the interface that is PUBLICIP (unless of course 192.168.173.X tries to route it to the public world). But; the PUBLICIP I'm using is within the subnet of the address I'm given by my ISP (I have no care to connect to my neighbors, so I can use internally one of those, which would then shouldn't route anywhere).

And this is true, using a webbrowser, I connect to PUBLICIP, where I have a copy of the system I'm developing. This system then sends a redirect to another port.

H:\dev2>netsh interface portproxy show all

Listen on ipv4: Connect to ipv4:

Address Port Address Port

--------------- ---------- --------------- ----------

PUBLICIP 18770 192.168.173.X 8101

PUBLICIP 18142 192.168.173.X 8106

netstat then shows when I connect to the above port, when connecting to wss://PUBLICIP:18142/

TCP 192.168.173.X:57752 192.168.173.X:8106 ESTABLISHED InHost

So the server receives 'ws Connected from: 192.168.173.X '

The connection was made as a response to this message.

Send: {op:"redirect", id:"BM7Wan$8Cq41jEp0Q0uQG_Ay$0TVKQnTHo$ngv0Lrjo=", port:18142, address:"PUBLICIP"

WHich the above wss:// address is constructed correctly, so the source address should be PUBLICIP not 192.168.173.X

----

Glossary

PUBLICIP is technically any IP which is not a local network (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/18, 192.168.0.0/16, 127.0.0.1/32) ... so I need to connect to the 'public side' using the 'public side' and the 'internal side' using the 'internal side' and going through the port proxy should not change the source IP,

Yes, arguably, this is a non standard configuration, however linux has never given me this issue; and this is the first experience I have with netsh portproxy.

:)

d3x0r, Apr 5, 2019
  2. Anna Bol Win User

where is netsh portproxy information stored

Hello
    seanbateman1

To find where the netsh portproxy information is stored, we suggest that you contact your ISP as they have more access to your machine.

Feel free to contact us should you have other concerns.

Anna Bol, Apr 5, 2019
  3. where is netsh portproxy information stored

netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listenport=0000 listenaddress=<0.0.0.0> connectport=0000 connectaddress=<0.0.0.0>

I run this command to port forward on my machine but I'm finding that often it will delete itself and I want to log what is happening, but I'm not sure where this information is stored is it in the registry in a file?

seanbateman1, Apr 5, 2019
  4. newfellow Win User

How to reset whole netsh? (Windows 7)

Was wondering has the commands changed somehow since on Windows XP and on Windows Vista 'NETSH INT RESET ALL' cleaned entire netsh up from top to bottom.

Now on Windows 7 this same command says no go and only way I can see it is by building .cmd/.bat which does something like:

Code: netsh winsock reset all netsh int 6to4 reset all netsh int ipv4 reset all netsh int ipv6 reset all netsh int httpstunnel reset all netsh int isatap reset all netsh int portproxy reset all netsh int tcp reset all netsh int teredo reset all[/quote] now the king of the hill of bugs is this doesn't actually do even it's job even after reboot. values setup to are not reset to defaults. (I know I could add more entire list of entries there is, but looking for clean delete/wipe settings & default everything not to dump entire list of resets.)

So, anyone got a plan B?

newfellow, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

1. netsh portproxy bug; allows connection from wrong interface - Similar Threads - netsh portproxy bug

2. User Interface glitch/bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Interface glitch/bug: Hi there,I've had a few issues since the Windows 11 update that affect my UI. Sometimes when I close a window it will visually stay open on top of my other windows until I restart my computer or close the program using task manager. Even if it's a pop up from an application I...
  3. User Interface glitch/bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Interface glitch/bug: Hi there,I've had a few issues since the Windows 11 update that affect my UI. Sometimes when I close a window it will visually stay open on top of my other windows until I restart my computer or close the program using task manager. Even if it's a pop up from an application I...
  4. Cannot connect to WSL2 docker service from LAN, netsh portproxy already set

Cannot connect to WSL2 docker service from LAN, netsh portproxy already set: Hello, I recently started a docker service in my WSL2 ubuntu, and I would like to access it from my LAN devices, I followed the instructions in this article: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/networking, ,my command was:netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4...
  5. Cannot connect to WSL2 docker service from LAN, netsh portproxy already set

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot connect to WSL2 docker service from LAN, netsh portproxy already set: Hello, I recently started a docker service in my WSL2 ubuntu, and I would like to access it from my LAN devices, I followed the instructions in this article: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/networking, ,my command was:netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4...
  6. Packets sent to the wrong interface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Packets sent to the wrong interface: Hello !I have a laptop with Win11 Pro. It is connected to internet with both WiFi and an ethernet cable.I am working with an Linux-embedded device SOM board. It is connected to my laptop with USB, using an RNDIS driver to emulate a network card. The embedded device runs a...
  7. Packets sent to the wrong interface

Packets sent to the wrong interface: Hello !I have a laptop with Win11 Pro. It is connected to internet with both WiFi and an ethernet cable.I am working with an Linux-embedded device SOM board. It is connected to my laptop with USB, using an RNDIS driver to emulate a network card. The embedded device runs a...
  8. Interface bug ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Interface bug ?: I have meteo and finance apps installed.when I move mouse over magnifying glass a list appear in small window. Containing those apps icons and command. That's fine.Now I start Edge. This window still works.If now I start one of those apps for instance Meteo and then close...
  9. Interface bug ?

Interface bug ?: I have meteo and finance apps installed.when I move mouse over magnifying glass a list appear in small window. Containing those apps icons and command. That's fine.Now I start Edge. This window still works.If now I start one of those apps for instance Meteo and then close...
  10. Get-NetIpInterface VS "netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces"... different results on same...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Get-NetIpInterface VS "netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces"... different results on same...: Hi, We're performing an Always On VPN project, and have an issue with DNS resolution. In general we want the AOVPN interface to have a lower metric then the wired NIC. THe DNS gets chosen, based on the interface with the lowest metric. We're using a script from Richard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. connections from the wrong interface

2. netsh c interface dump only adapter

3. netsh portproxy

4. portproxy connection lost