Windows 10: netstat -a reports many Established connections; is that bad?

Discus and support netstat -a reports many Established connections; is that bad? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When running netstat -a, I see many "established" connections to high address ports on my computer for example 49924. Should I be concerned? If so,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bbgodfrey, Mar 18, 2020.

1. bbgodfrey Win User

netstat -a reports many Established connections; is that bad?

When running netstat -a, I see many "established" connections to high address ports on my computer for example 49924. Should I be concerned? If so, what action should I take? I have McAfee on my computer and use a Netgear R7000 router. Thanks.

:)

bbgodfrey, Mar 18, 2020

2. how to use netstat to check for malware?

netstat is a command-line tool (used from a

command prompt
    ) that displays incoming and outgoing network connections, ports on which the computer is listening, routing tables, and a number of network interface statistics. It can be used to obtain Local/Foreign Addresses,
    PID, listening state and for troubleshooting networking issues.

Using Netstat to investigate for malicious activity.

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 18, 2020
  3. gator Win User
    Lots Of Connections on netstat / Wireshark

So I haven't needed to netstat anything in a while and certainly never did on Win 10 but I don't remember so many active, established connections before.

I have established connections with Twitter, Pandora, Google, Microsoft, Linode Networks, Akamai, CloudFlare and probably a few others I haven't looked up just yet. Now I don't necessarily think most of these are a problem. Linode, Akamia and CloudFlare are the most questionable but they could easily be backbone type stuff Comcast uses, I don't know.

However, what makes me wonder is that the PID associated with these connections are connected to WebProxy.exe

Furthermore, Wireshark is actively communicating with most of the names I mentioned above that showed up in Netstat, even when no browser is open. I previously disabled Microsofts supposed settings that allow them to track your online usage but could this be part of something I missed? Do I just not recall correctly that all of my traffic should be going through a WebProxy? Should I still be talking to Twitter even though I am not on that website nor do I have a browser open?

I've noticed weird things and redirects every once in a while and I do a thorough cleanup which never produces much of anything (I am a tech who has cleaned up 100's of PC's, so it wasn't half azz).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

gator, Mar 18, 2020
  4. hodor Win User

Netstat -an showing lots of listening + established, why?

my friend was showing me how to do something on my computer and went on CMD, netstat -an .. it showed a lot of conections some where at TIME WAIT, most split between LISTENING and ESTABLISHED there are 74 i counted, is this something or nothing, tried to look it up online but didnt seem to get much telling me what should be there and shouldnt. i know its probably nothing but thought it would be worth an ask and hoped this may be the place for a quick simple awnser.

hodor, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

1. netstat -a reports many Established connections; is that bad? - Similar Threads - netstat reports many

2. netstat -a reports many Established connections using the name of my computer and different...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    netstat -a reports many Established connections using the name of my computer and different...: For example,netstat -a reads 4 LocalHost TCP connections to my laptop, all using the same name 'DESKTOP-OLD25GP' under the Foreign Address tab. The Established ports are 55088 - 55091. I do not understand why 4 ports are open to the old desktop name?I use Windows 10 on my...
  3. netstat -a reports many Established connections using the name of my computer and different...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    netstat -a reports many Established connections using the name of my computer and different...: For example,netstat -a reads 4 LocalHost TCP connections to my laptop, all using the same name 'DESKTOP-OLD25GP' under the Foreign Address tab. The Established ports are 55088 - 55091. I do not understand why 4 ports are open to the old desktop name?I use Windows 10 on my...
  4. netstat -a reports many Established connections using the name of my computer and different...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Netstat connections

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Netstat connections: Hello I was playing with my cmd and I noticed several netstat connections labelled as "Bad6" does anyone know what this may be? Also if this is malicious could someone please tell me how to terminate the connection. Thank you for any and all answers!...
  6. Connection not established

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connection not established: Hi,I have a problem with internet connection on my Windows 10 computer. On Ethernet icon right bottom I havemessage "Connection not established no available connections" but Internet working,The computer is on the domain and network settings are entered. The problem is with...
  7. Connection not established

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connection not established: Hi,I have a problem with internet connection on my Windows 10 computer. On Ethernet icon right bottom I havemessage "Connection not established no available connections" but Internet working,The computer is on the domain and network settings are entered. The problem is with...
  8. Connection not established

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Netstat connections, is this normal?

Netstat connections, is this normal?: Just wondering if this is normal when I type netstat in cmd.... Proto Local Address Foreign Address State TCP 127.0.0.1:49790 DESKTOP-GOVM7NU:wsd TIME_WAIT TCP 192.168.1.151:49787 a-0001:https ESTABLISHED TCP...
  10. Netstat -an showing lots of listening + established, why?

Netstat -an showing lots of listening + established, why?: my friend was showing me how to do something on my computer and went on CMD, netstat -an .. it showed a lot of conections some where at TIME WAIT, most split between LISTENING and ESTABLISHED there are 74 i counted, is this something or nothing, tried to look it up online but...