Windows 10: netstat -a reports many Established connections; is that bad?

Discus and support netstat -a reports many Established connections; is that bad? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When running netstat -a, I see many "established" connections to high address ports on my computer for example 49924. Should I be concerned? If so,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bbgodfrey, Mar 18, 2020.

1. bbgodfrey Win User

netstat -a reports many Established connections; is that bad?

When running netstat -a, I see many "established" connections to high address ports on my computer for example 49924. Should I be concerned? If so, what action should I take? I have McAfee on my computer and use a Netgear R7000 router. Thanks.

:)

bbgodfrey, Mar 18, 2020

2. how to use netstat to check for malware?

netstat is a command-line tool (used from a

command prompt
    ) that displays incoming and outgoing network connections, ports on which the computer is listening, routing tables, and a number of network interface statistics. It can be used to obtain Local/Foreign Addresses,
    PID, listening state and for troubleshooting networking issues.

Using Netstat to investigate for malicious activity.

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 18, 2020
  3. gator Win User
    Lots Of Connections on netstat / Wireshark

So I haven't needed to netstat anything in a while and certainly never did on Win 10 but I don't remember so many active, established connections before.

I have established connections with Twitter, Pandora, Google, Microsoft, Linode Networks, Akamai, CloudFlare and probably a few others I haven't looked up just yet. Now I don't necessarily think most of these are a problem. Linode, Akamia and CloudFlare are the most questionable but they could easily be backbone type stuff Comcast uses, I don't know.

However, what makes me wonder is that the PID associated with these connections are connected to WebProxy.exe

Furthermore, Wireshark is actively communicating with most of the names I mentioned above that showed up in Netstat, even when no browser is open. I previously disabled Microsofts supposed settings that allow them to track your online usage but could this be part of something I missed? Do I just not recall correctly that all of my traffic should be going through a WebProxy? Should I still be talking to Twitter even though I am not on that website nor do I have a browser open?

I've noticed weird things and redirects every once in a while and I do a thorough cleanup which never produces much of anything (I am a tech who has cleaned up 100's of PC's, so it wasn't half azz).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

gator, Mar 18, 2020
  4. hodor Win User

Netstat -an showing lots of listening + established, why?

my friend was showing me how to do something on my computer and went on CMD, netstat -an .. it showed a lot of conections some where at TIME WAIT, most split between LISTENING and ESTABLISHED there are 74 i counted, is this something or nothing, tried to look it up online but didnt seem to get much telling me what should be there and shouldnt. i know its probably nothing but thought it would be worth an ask and hoped this may be the place for a quick simple awnser.

hodor, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

1. netstat -a reports many Established connections; is that bad? - Similar Threads - netstat reports many

2. Problems with establishing a VPN connection to the Intranet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with establishing a VPN connection to the Intranet: Hey, Short summary of what i am trying to do: To get access to my data on the univerity network i have to connect to the intranet via VPN. I have a servername, my username and password. At first i tried to connect with the recommended (by the uni) client "Aruba Virtual...
  3. Hello, please consider these questions. (network connections) Many communities report ill...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hello, please consider these questions. (network connections) Many communities report ill...: I come to you to report that many forums and communities on the Web have been encountering connections with varied IP addresses, originating from our desktop PCS (including notebooks) with Windows 10 installed, and they're linked by "netstat -abn" to the system's utilities,...
  4. can’t establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1

can’t establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1: Just in the past week when I try to access one specific website I get an error message "can’t establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1". Sometimes I can get a a page or 2 to load from that site, but most of the time I get that message. I have tried Firefox, IE, Edge,...
  5. establishing a secure connection

establishing a secure connection: why do I keep getting a message about establishing a secure connection when I have just browsed a web site and change to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/establishing-a-secure-connection/6f1b36e2-c75a-43c1-baeb-aa0ccf6411ad
  6. unwanted open, established connections.

unwanted open, established connections.: Why does windows 10 have over ten established connects and how do I stop them. Blocking the IP's in the firewall is not effective, why is that. From a command line enter 'netstat -ano'. Or should I get an external firewall nd block them there? Looking at the IP's, they all...
  7. Lots Of Connections on netstat / Wireshark

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lots Of Connections on netstat / Wireshark: So I haven't needed to netstat anything in a while and certainly never did on Win 10 but I don't remember so many active, established connections before. I have established connections with Twitter, Pandora, Google, Microsoft, Linode Networks, Akamai, CloudFlare and...
  8. Sisoftware Sandra reports bad ram?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sisoftware Sandra reports bad ram?: Sandra reports two of my ram modules as (bad), but I don't think they are bad. I think instead Sandra can't identity the make and model. Two sticks show manufacture and ser #, but the other two say (bad) The two unidentified sticks are older, and the two identified are...
  9. Can't establish VPN connection to my office

Can't establish VPN connection to my office: I've upgraded both my laptop and my desktop in my office to Windows 10 Pro (both were coming from Windows 8.1). VPN was working perfect before the upgrade. At current I can't establish a VPN connection to my office. The VPN server (at my office) is listening to port...
  10. Netstat -an showing lots of listening + established, why?

Netstat -an showing lots of listening + established, why?: my friend was showing me how to do something on my computer and went on CMD, netstat -an .. it showed a lot of conections some where at TIME WAIT, most split between LISTENING and ESTABLISHED there are 74 i counted, is this something or nothing, tried to look it up online but...