Windows 10: Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after

Discus and support Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I held off on getting the latest Windows update for a while because of the bad rep that Windows updates have been getting over time, so when my network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/captainfactj, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after

I held off on getting the latest Windows update for a while because of the bad rep that Windows updates have been getting over time, so when my network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections, I thought it was because I hadn't updated. However, it was still not doing that after I updated. I was able to update, so my network adapter didn't stop working entirely, it just isn't working correctly. What should I do? If you need this information, my computer is a Surface Pro 6 that's out of warranty, so I can't easily replace it. What should I do from now on? Should I have gotten that update immediately? And most importantly, what might've happened?

submitted by /u/captainfactj
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/captainfactj, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Gorgo Win User

Wifi stop working. Win10 shows only one network and it doesn't connect

Product Name: Hp Omen 15
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
    Wifi card: Intel Wireless-N 7260

Hi guys,
    since some days my wifi has stopped working.
    If I click on Wifi icon it shows only ONE (max two) NETWORK:

Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after [​IMG]

And I live in a building with 20+ networks, as you can see from WiFi Analyzer (I'm the red one on the right)

Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after [​IMG]

If I deactive/reactive Wifi with fn+f12, it goes to Airplane mode and to Wifi mode again and it eventually shows all the networks:

My Wifi is on the top. If it's saved, Windows connects to it and then it drops the connection; if it's not saved and I try to connect, it says "You're not able to connect to this network".
    The fun fact is that after some seconds every network disappear and only one is showed (probably the neighbour one..I dunno).

I've already tried to HARD-RESET the notebook keeping the power button for 10/15sec with the laptop turned off.
    I've already tried to follow these instructions (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04649175) updating drivers (Intel 18.12.0.3, 18.12.1.2, 18.30.0.9 [Windows 10 default], 18.32.0 [Lastest drivers]) with no success. Everytime I install a new drivers, I uninstalled the previous one + Wireless software + reboot.

I tried to uncheked "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" on my Wifi hardware settings without success.

The HP Network support says I didn't choose a Wifi (Really? The problem is I don't see my Wifi on the list!).

This is not related to a new Windows 10 upgrade since I've installed it months ago and It's the first time I've this problem :/ It always worked
    Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after 16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I tried different settings too:
    I changed channel, I set 802.11g on my router, APSD off on the router.
    I set "Magic packet off, ad hoc QoS off, U-APSD off, fat channel off,incremental throughput off, HT mode off" on the card setting without success. Nothing chaned.

The Hardware test doesn't detect any failure.

Note carefully: If I go close to the router, it shows my network with full power connection and it connects to it. Then I go back to my bedroom (probably 3/4 meters far), it KEEPS the connection for 30/40min and It drops the connection and I can't reconnect to it anymore. It always worked perfectly in my room in these months (I bought it in March 2015), so the distance is not a problem, I'm 6/7m far from the router.
    In this case It shows my Network (Connected) and the neighbour network...and the other 20+ networks???

The only way I have is USB tethering with my Nexus 5.

Linux: I tried the Wifi connection on Elementary Freya (Ubuntu linux based OS) and it shows 20+ networks available on the list. It has not connection problem with my Wifi, but sometimes it stops working, the webpages stop loading and I must reboot Wifi to reconnect to it (usually after 30/40min using it).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the problem? Is my Wifi card broken? Should I call italian support or you have some suggestion?

Gorgo, Jun 28, 2020
  3. coffent Win User
    How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after

How to connect to an existing wifi network?

'Not connected' doesn't necessarily mean the WiFi adapter isn't working, just that you have not yet connected to an available network. If it is working then a list of available WiFi names should appear when you click on the WiFi icon on the taskbar which looks like this
    when not connected.

If the list is empty then either the antenna is not connected to the WiFi adapter or the adapter isn't working. This may be a driver problem rather than hardware, so look in Device Manager for any yellow warnings. Also check that the WiFi adapter is not disable in Device Manager.

Thema:

Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after

1. Network adapter stopped showing WiFi connections before update, still doesn't after - Similar Threads - Network adapter stopped

2. Network adapter not showing WiFi driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network adapter not showing WiFi driver: Hi! I recently installed windows 10 on my sisters laptop after her SSD m.2 went corrupt and no longer was coming up in BIOS. The laptop also kept booting into BIOS because of this. However, now that I’ve done an install using USB flash drive 64 bit windows 10 home, the laptop...
  3. Network adapter not showing WiFi driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network adapter not showing WiFi driver: Hi! I recently installed windows 10 on my sisters laptop after her SSD m.2 went corrupt and no longer was coming up in BIOS. The laptop also kept booting into BIOS because of this. However, now that I’ve done an install using USB flash drive 64 bit windows 10 home, the laptop...
  4. Wifi networks doesn't display, shows not connected to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi networks doesn't display, shows not connected to internet: Available networks won't display, shows internet not connected, tried several suggestions, nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-networks-doesnt-display-shows-not-connected/e897c3ae-962b-4d70-a000-750566e2354c
  5. Wifi networks doesn't display, shows not connected to internet

Wifi networks doesn't display, shows not connected to internet: Available networks won't display, shows internet not connected, tried several suggestions, nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-networks-doesnt-display-shows-not-connected/e897c3ae-962b-4d70-a000-750566e2354c
  6. Wifi networks doesn't display, shows not connected to internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Wifi Network Connections - Network adapter miss

Wifi Network Connections - Network adapter miss: Hello all , i have a lenovo ideapad 110 , i have internet connections problems . I can`t connect to any wifi connections . I have prove to many solutions like Network Reset , Driver update , cmd promt , at control panel . it doesn`t work at all . If anyone can help me ?...
  8. Wifi Network Connections - Network adapter miss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Network Connections - Network adapter miss: Hello all , i have a lenovo ideapad 110 , i have internet connections problems . I can`t connect to any wifi connections . I have prove to many solutions like Network Reset , Driver update , cmd promt , at control panel . it doesn`t work at all . If anyone can help me ?...
  9. Wifi Network Connections - Network adapter miss

10. Wifi stop working. Win10 shows only one network and it doesn't connect

Wifi stop working. Win10 shows only one network and it doesn't connect: Product Name: Hp Omen 15 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) Wifi card: Intel Wireless-N 7260 Hi guys, since some days my wifi has stopped working. If I click on Wifi icon it shows only ONE (max two) NETWORK: [img] And I live in a building with 20+...