Windows 10: Network and dns issues

Discus and support Network and dns issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My internet on computer is broken, every other device in the house works fine. The problem seems to be something about latency, dns and connecting. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChristopherMcCulloch1, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Network and dns issues

My internet on computer is broken, every other device in the house works fine. The problem seems to be something about latency, dns and connecting. The troubleshooter seems to say dns server isn't responding. Faq's will not help me I need direct help please. It may not even be a microsoft problem but a windows one.

Just getting enough to be able to send this message was hard as well, the whole computer was receiving the wifi, but something about dns was restricting it. Chrome websites crashed, discord stopped working and steam was downloading an update at 115 bytes a second.

I did try to post a picture but it didn't let me. This baffles me as everything else works fine. I have restarted, reset network settings, changed dns at points. Another computer in the house got 30mbps, and I don't reach over 5. I'll get 1 - 2 on a lucky day.

Another edit a minute after post, on task manager, network reads 0% or 1%

:)

ChristopherMcCulloch1, Dec 22, 2018

2. dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

Network and dns issues [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

Network and dns issues [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Dec 22, 2018
  3. harrymc Win User
    Windows 10 DNS issues

This answer summarizes the research done by the poster and myself to analyze and
    fix the problem.

I describe here the sequence of actions that will (probably) fix the problem,
    followed by my theory why it works.

Step 1 : Stop the the DNS Client service

1. In the Start Menu of Windows, type services and click to run on Services
    2. Find the service named DNS Client
    3. Right-click the service and do Stop to stop it

Step 2 : Do network reset

1. In the Start Menu of Windows, click on Settings
    2. Click on Network & Internet
    3. Click on Status
    4. Click Network reset
    5. Click Yes

A detailed description can be found in this article.
    I believe that Network reset is probably equivalent to doing all the
    re-initialization commands listed above in the post.

Step 3 : Restart the DNS Client service

Repeat Step 1, but do Start instead to restart the service.<br>
    If the problem still occurs, try to reboot Windows.

My theory as to why it works

Apparently some bad setting related to the DNS Client service was introduced
    into Windows, which caused DNS to malfunction.
    Network reset is normally sufficient to bring the network to a known state,
    but in this case the bad setting could not be reset while the service was running. So the DNS Client service needed to be stopped for the Network reset
    to successfully reinitialize all the DNS settings.

harrymc, Dec 22, 2018
  4. Network and dns issues

Windows 10 - "One or more network protocols are missing" and no DNS server

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience you are facing. I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps:

Step 1: Reset TCP/IP

One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in set of instructions called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become damaged or corrupted.

Follow the steps below to reset the winsock entries and TCP/IP stack and to troubleshoot the issue further.

• Press Windows Key + X together and select Command Prompt (admin).

• Type the following command and hit Enter after each:
    netsh winsock reset catalog (reset winsock entries)

netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)

• Reboot the computer and check.
    Step 2: Flush your computer's DNS cache.

• Press Windows Key + X together and select Command Prompt (admin).

• At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press Enter after each command.
    ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

I would suggest you to refer to the troubleshooting steps given in the article below and check if it helps:

Fix network connection issues

Also, refer to the link for reference:

Wired
    and wireless network problems
    (Applies to Windows 10)

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

Network and dns issues

1. Network and dns issues - Similar Threads - Network dns issues

2. Issues with DNS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with DNS: Basicly i've tried resetting my dns settings by following this guide but it wont change I did every way that they shown and it didn't fix itself, it carries over from network to network and is an issue because I cant login to my school's wifi.here's the logs from Windows...
  3. Issues with DNS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with DNS: Basicly i've tried resetting my dns settings by following this guide but it wont change I did every way that they shown and it didn't fix itself, it carries over from network to network and is an issue because I cant login to my school's wifi.here's the logs from Windows...
  4. DNS issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS issue: Hi all, This is an error message when a user wants to drag a pdf or other word file and import it into Dynamics Bsiness Central. There is a Dropbox feature in this application where a user can drag and drop files. When importing, the user gets an error message. This happens...
  5. DNS issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS issue: Hi all, This is an error message when a user wants to drag a pdf or other word file and import it into Dynamics Bsiness Central. There is a Dropbox feature in this application where a user can drag and drop files. When importing, the user gets an error message. This happens...
  6. network problems with DNS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network problems with DNS: I've posted this problem a few times with not real answer. I think I've now found out what is happening. It seems that when this problem occurs it added 10 seconds to all dns responses. I've googled this and found that other people have had this issue. I have not found a...
  7. DNS Issues

DNS Issues: lost of internet connection due to DNS issues, how do I resolve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-issues/6689bee1-7d92-49a6-91ea-710d8111c2b3
  8. DNS issue?

DNS issue?: I have a new Win 10 Pro laptop for a user. It is in the domain now. I do an ipconfig /all and it shows me it's ip address. From another machine, I can ping it by it's ip address. I can not ping it by name ; it is timing out. If I do an nslookup on the ip address, it shows me...
  9. DNS Issue

in Browsers and Email
    DNS Issue: Hello, Could use some help with this error message. It started after the Cumulative Update Build 15063.138 (KB4015583) install today. This only happens with Edge. IE, FF etc work fine. I've flushed the DNS cache etc. Still no joy. What's online for fixes are confusing and...
  10. DNS issue, no internet

DNS issue, no internet: I've been running into this issue with my pc for the past couple days. I have had no internet due to a DNS issue. It was defaulted to automatic so I tried the Google DNS as well as the opendns addresses, nothing. I was, and currently am, hard wired but I also tried using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dns server not responding windows 10