Windows 10: Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations

Discus and support Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; From another thread I posted about accessing the c$ on computers on my network, an idea formed. What if I just had a NAS setup, then any computer on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by teecuptech, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations

From another thread I posted about accessing the c$ on computers on my network, an idea formed. What if I just had a NAS setup, then any computer on my network (including visitors to the house), can access data.

Now I am looking for suggestions on a decent NAS, with network access (not USB). Any ideas?

I know I probably want one with 2 hard drives in it, for redundancy and to setup a RAID of sorts.
    Alas, that might be on the expensive side.

Regardless, looking for ideas.

Thanks all

PS: Mods, feel free to move this, if it is in the wrong place. Couldn't decide if this under hardware or networking...

:)

teecuptech, Jan 19, 2019

2. Network Attached Storage in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing Network Storage Drive after upgrading to Windows 10.

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Disable anti-virus software and Windows Firewall.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Follow the below steps to turn off Windows Firewall:

• Press Windows + X, click on Control Panel, select
      Category and then select Large or Small icons.
    • Click on Windows Firewall.
    • Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Click Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) under each network location that you want to stop trying to protect, and then click
      OK.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to reconfigure the NAS drive and check if it help.

Refer to the below thread replied by Smithhead 9 replied on
    May 7, 2015

Accessing NAS not working in Windows 10 Technical Preview

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 19, 2019
  3. Mel Tar Win User
    Mel Tar, Jan 19, 2019
  4. Dealbarta Win User

Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations

Connecting to Network Attached Storage

I have done as you suggested and re-posted my problem on link which you gave.

The answers to your questions are:

• W10 Pro
    • Wired Ethernet
    • Yes. The two computers on the network can see each other and the NAS. The laptop running Widows 7 Pro can open the NAS but Desktop running Window 10 Pro can’t.

• Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations b489b17b-b419-40c4-8717-00c1dc361e5b.jpg
    • Public Folder sharing is off
    • As far as I know you can’t set up a workgroup on a Synology NAS
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Solwise SAR-600EW which also provides the Ethernet connections for the LAN and WiFi.
    • Only my desktop

Dealbarta, Jan 19, 2019
Thema:

Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations

1. Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations - Similar Threads - Network Attached Storage

2. Windows 8.1 Network Attached Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 8.1 Network Attached Storage: I've attached a WD My Book as a NAS to my Lynksys router, which connects with SMB1 to Windows 10 on another computer. Can I attach the same NAS to a Win 8.1 laptop? The 8.1 laptop can see the connection in the Network Infrastructure dialog. Adding a device to the Network does...
  3. Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors with Finger Printer Encrypted Files or TOFP files,...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors with Finger Printer Encrypted Files or TOFP files,...: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Image: ERROR for a fingerprint encrypted file TOFP. I can't transfer this file. Is there a standard finger print encrypted file that works over multi systems? This file would still be encrypted as my fingerprint does not changeImage:...
  4. Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Image: ERROR for a fingerprint encrypted file TOFP why can't I transfer this file is this a standard finger print encrypted file? It would still be encrypted my fingerprint does not changeI wanted to talk about NAS systems, and...
  5. Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,I wanted to talk about NAS systems, and bitlocker issues, One must decrypt bitlocker files to store them in the NAS as it is outside the system. However the main issues is we are forced to select yes for all the folders that are being...
  6. Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,I wanted to talk about NAS systems, and bitlocker issues, One must decrypt bitlocker files to store them in the NAS as it is outside the system. However the main issues is we are forced to select yes for all the folders that are being...
  7. Network Attached Storage Connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Attached Storage Connections: I have recently installed a new computer at our church with Windows 10 Pro. We have a local network attached storage WD MyCloud DL2100 and it can be reached by any 'local' account on the other computers. However, when a computer is logged onto the Windows365 account,...
  8. Network Attached Storage NAS Permissions Issues

Network Attached Storage NAS Permissions Issues: I have a Seagate Personnel Cloud NAS device. When attempting to delete files or folders I receive the error message "You need permission to perform this action". The Seagate tech who I consulted with directed me to a Microsoft solution to the problem at :...
  9. Network attached storage (NAS)

Network attached storage (NAS): I have a D-Link DNS-325 NAS and now I can not see the disk in file explorer. I have tried several solutions but nothing works. This NAS is where I do all my backups plus store all of my photos and videos. I know the NAS is working as I did a backup today and all went fine....
  10. Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations: From another thread I posted about accessing the c$ on computers on my network, an idea formed. What if I just had a NAS setup, then any computer on my network (including visitors to the house), can access data. Now I am looking for suggestions on a decent NAS, with network...