Windows 10: Network Boot Plain WIM

Discus and support Network Boot Plain WIM in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it possible to network boot a WIM image ripped straight from the ISO, after isolating an index, or is it required to capture a running system to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DneWill2, Aug 7, 2020.

1. DneWill2 Win User

Network Boot Plain WIM

Is it possible to network boot a WIM image ripped straight from the ISO, after isolating an index, or is it required to capture a running system to work with windows pe?

:)

DneWill2, Aug 7, 2020
  2. MGoBlue93 Win User

After Windows 10 WIM deploy, system fails to boot

I have some brand new notebooks (they are HP Z Book G4 Studios). From the state I received the units, I wanted to deploy the company image, instead of using what came loaded by the factory.

Before posting, I did search this site and I did look at: Applied wim file does not correctly boot

No help.

Deploying the WIM failed. It's a Windows 10 WIM. The WIM had the HP drivers added to it... if there was a problem with the drivers, I would expect a BSOD. But that is NOT the problem as no BSOD is received.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Press F9 to access boot menu
    2. Connect USB DVD drive with WinPE disc inserted
    3. Boot to WinPE (created with the latest version of the AIK/ADK or whatever MS is calling it these days).
    4. Run the following diskpart commands: select disk 0, clean, create partition primary, format fs=ntfs quick, assign letter=c:, and active
    5. Run dism /apply-image /imagefile:e:\myWIM.wim /index:1 /applydir:c:\
    6. Run bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
    7. Exit WinPE and reboot.

After exiting and the subsequent reboot, I get an OS not found error right after POST.

I booted into the installation media, rescue mode, and ran:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

The bootrec.exe command returns:

Successfully scanned Windows Installations
    Total identified Windows Installations: 1
    Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All:

So I enter Y

...and it fails!!!

I can go to c:\ and do a dir and see the file system as expected (so again, assuming so WIM integrity problems).

1. Is there anything special about doing this on Win 10 that is different (Win 10 does put a 100 MB and 450MB partition on the drive when it does a clean install right? Recovery areas and such?
    2. When I do the diskpart clean, that wipes those two partitions out. How critical are they to run?
    3. I've used the same process which worked on Windows 7 -- are there BIOS settings, partitioning, etc., which is preventing this from booting for me? I haven't had such problems before; just with Win 10.

The drive from the factory was gpt. I did run diskpart convert mbr. The whole process failed in the same way

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

MGoBlue93, Aug 7, 2020
  3. GNJha Win User
    Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Aug 7, 2020
  4. Network Boot Plain WIM

how to get a plain white background

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

In order to understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• In which application you need the plain white background?
    • Are you referring to paint application as in you mentioned for drawing?
    Please post us back with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

Network Boot Plain WIM

1. Network Boot Plain WIM - Similar Threads - Network Boot Plain

2. Plain Text issue in Clipchamp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Plain Text issue in Clipchamp: I am facing an issue in Clipchamp. While Copy and pasting the tamil text to the Plain text. I am not getting the proper contents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/plain-text-issue-in-clipchamp/44a7b169-5978-4589-808d-44e3ce3755fc
  3. Plain Text issue in Clipchamp

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plain Text issue in Clipchamp: I am facing an issue in Clipchamp. While Copy and pasting the tamil text to the Plain text. I am not getting the proper contents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/plain-text-issue-in-clipchamp/44a7b169-5978-4589-808d-44e3ce3755fc
  4. Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot: Hi, I am really at a loss, and was hoping someone would help. I have a .WIM that I need to restore to a test laptop.I have a USB thumb drive with WinPE on it. I have a USB SSD with the .WIM.The version of Windows is newer as of 6/2021, likely the latest version or one...
  5. Printer not printing if plain paper

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer not printing if plain paper: I'm having an issue with my printer and i don't know if it is a Windows 10(20H2 19042.928). If i try to print with type paper configured to plain the paper comes blank, but if i change to glossy it prints fine, but printing this way is painfully slower and use more ink i...
  6. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  7. my icons are just plain white!

in Windows 10 Customization
    my icons are just plain white!: so, all of my icons on my taskbar, aside from the native microsoft programs,(outlook, edge, control panel, etc) are just plain white and ugly.. any way to make them colorful like their icon actually should be, and was on my win 7 machine? I'm sure there is a way, I just...
  8. Yet another W10 network credentials junk thread.. but plain talk !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Yet another W10 network credentials junk thread.. but plain talk !: I have got W10 now including two W10 and 2 W7s on my home network... Different users and passwords on each one and all have a shared folder. Yes I set the network config for 'don't ask for passwords'... BUT of course I am asked for credentials when trying to access the other...
  9. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  10. Deployed PCs are stuck in boot loop after loading .WIM file

Deployed PCs are stuck in boot loop after loading .WIM file: Hi everyone, I'm having a persistent issue with deploying Windows 10 Pro onto some Dell Optiplex 3040 PCs we just received. I'm attempting to use Windows Deployment Services through a Server 2012 R2 installation, to which a client can PXE boot to receive the image....