Windows 10: Network Browsing Woes with Windows 10, how I resolved

Discus and support Network Browsing Woes with Windows 10, how I resolved in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since I went to Windows 10 1809, I've been having nothing but trouble getting network browsing working right so all my computers could see all my other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CraigHB, Feb 13, 2019.

1. CraigHB Win User

Network Browsing Woes with Windows 10, how I resolved

Since I went to Windows 10 1809, I've been having nothing but trouble getting network browsing working right so all my computers could see all my other computers. It was driving me nuts and I spent a lot of time trying to resolve it.

Come to find out it's a master browser issue with Windows 10. Basically they broke it in 1709 then fixed it in 1803, then broke it again in 1809. If you don't know what a master browser is, there's some good documentation on it floating around the net, but basically one machine on the network assumes that role and it can jump around from machine to machine through an election. The machine that assumes the role of master browser tells the network who's who.

It was driving me nuts that sometimes network browsing would work and somethings it wouldn't. So after much hair pulling, I came to find it it was when the 1809 machine assumed the role of master browser.

So it turns out that most routers can provide a samba server which has the master browser capability. It was simply a matter of poppping a usb thumb drive in my router and telling it to share the drive. Now it can be the master browser. So the next trick was to tell all the other machines not to assume that roll. There's a reg tweak for that;
    Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters] "MaintainServerList"="No"[/quote] So now my router is always master browser and network browsing is reliable. After all isn't that something a router should be responsible for anyway. There's a lot other things that can give you trouble with network sharing, but once all those are ironed this is the last thing to nail down.

:)

CraigHB, Feb 13, 2019
  2. badrobot Win User

Networking woes again !!!!

Hey Jimbo, I got 3 real machines and 2 virtuals (VMWare and Hyper-V). Not a single issue on network sharing. All 3 real machines see the 2 virtuals and the 2 virtual see the 3 real machines and tested file sharing across network including NAS. Everything is "A" okay... Network Browsing Woes with Windows 10, how I resolved :)

Network Browsing Woes with Windows 10, how I resolved [​IMG]

Thank you @Kari for the step by step tutorial. This is my first time to use Hyper-V. I installed Win 7 Home Premium. However, Legacy Network Adapter did not work. I have to use the first method for Win 7 Ultimate and I got network connection right away. Thank you very much!

Cheers!

badrobot, Feb 13, 2019
  3. Mel Tar Win User
    No network connection

Hello Graham,

To resolve your concern about wireless network issues, please click the link below and follow the suggested troubleshooting steps:

Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Feb 13, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Network Browsing Woes with Windows 10, how I resolved - Similar Threads - Network Browsing Woes

2. Unable to browse the web. How can I resolve this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to browse the web. How can I resolve this?: I received the new Windows 11 software update this morning. Once I downloaded it, I was unable to open any browser. I assumed that it was due the the update, and uninstalled the update. I still cannot open any browser. How can I resolve this?...
  3. Unable to browse the web. How can I resolve this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to browse the web. How can I resolve this?: I received the new Windows 11 software update this morning. Once I downloaded it, I was unable to open any browser. I assumed that it was due the the update, and uninstalled the update. I still cannot open any browser. How can I resolve this?...
  4. How to resolve network issue in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to resolve network issue in Windows 10?: Method1. Use the Network troubleshooterOpen the Windows Settings app.Go to Update & Security, and select Troubleshoot. Click on Internet Connections.Go to Run the Troubleshooter.Follow further on-screen instructions and let the process finish.Restart your PC.Method 2. Change...
  5. How to resolve network issue in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to resolve network issue in Windows 10?: Method1. Use the Network troubleshooterOpen the Windows Settings app.Go to Update & Security, and select Troubleshoot. Click on Internet Connections.Go to Run the Troubleshooter.Follow further on-screen instructions and let the process finish.Restart your PC.Method 2. Change...
  6. How to resolve network issue in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Win10 and win7 network woes

Win10 and win7 network woes: Hi, I have 3 pc's in a network, 2 are running windows 10 and 1 is running windows7 When I had just 2 connected win10 and win 7 both could see each other and exchange files without issue. Occasionally however the win7 machine would struggle to see the win10 machine....
  8. Windows 10 Woes - How to Restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Woes - How to Restart: Got a brand new top of the line computer with a new copy of Windows 10 a little over a year ago. All was well. One day Cortana had a conflict with a program I was using at the time and starting sucking massive resources while on. I went through a large wiping of all...
  9. Networking woes again !!!!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Networking woes again !!!!: Hi there Why can't Windows Networking just be like Linux - nice GUI to configure SAMBA (or even use S.W.A.T), click on shares and it's done and works every time !!!!. Strange scenario now with HYPER-V HOST OS (W10) can access REAL W8.1 machine, and W10 VM running on...
  10. Windows 10 networking woes once again...

Windows 10 networking woes once again...: For the past few days or so I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with LAN connectivity between two PCs: my laptop (ThinkPad T450s) and my self-built desktop. Both computers are running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, build 10586. Initially my problem was the infamous "one or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. networking woes win10