Windows 10: network category automatically set as Public

Discus and support network category automatically set as Public in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I change category to Private?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MicheleFoy1, May 7, 2019.

1. network category automatically set as Public

How do I change category to Private?

:)

MicheleFoy1, May 7, 2019
  2. Arete One Win User

Can't split networks between Public and Private

New Win10 Pro install from scratch on a laptop with both a wi-fi and wired ethernet connections.

The wi-fi connects to a router on 192.168.253.x, and that router connects to the Internet. The IP is delivered by the DHCP server based on the MAC address.

The wired ethernet connects to a hub, with a total of four computers. The IPs for each are specified in the NIC configuration on the 192.168.252.x network.

Windows 10 calls the wired ethernet "Unidentified network" and sets it to Public along with the wi-fi network. There is no listing for the wired ethernet network in the registry under the ..\NetworkList\Profiles entries, so I can't flip the Category setting there. There is only one entry, and it's the wi-fi network.

I turned the wi-fi adapter off and then shared a folder. This made the wired ethernet network Private, but when I turned the wi-fi back on, they both showed up as Public.

With the wired ethernet network set to Public, I can't easily connect to shares or use RD from my main system into this one without turning off Windows Firewall. But since the WF setting is based on the Private and Public setting, right now it's an all or nothing thing.

I need to find a way to leave my wi-fi connection set to Public, but get my wired ethernet set to Private.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Arete One, May 7, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Windows 10 How to change network setting back to Home from Public

Hi,

To change your network connection from public to private, follow these steps:

• Go to
      Settings.

• Choose
      Network & Internet.

• On the left side of the screen, choose
      Ethernet.

• Under
      related settings, click
      HomeGroup.

• Go to
      Change advance sharing settings.

• Under
      Network discovery, choose
      Turn on network discovery.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 7, 2019
  4. network category automatically set as Public

Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, May 7, 2019
Thema:

network category automatically set as Public

1. network category automatically set as Public - Similar Threads - network category automatically

2. public network !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  3. public network !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  4. public network !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. public or private network settings

public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  6. Network public category?

Network public category?: Why is my network connected to a public category? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-public-category/6eeb37d2-b476-42bc-93ec-7ac83a04fda0
  7. Public Network

Public Network: Why does my home network show up as a public network instead of a private network? I have an xFinity gateway. I know it has hot spots built into it, but I have turned the hot spots off. Is there a way I can move the network from public to private in Windows?...
  8. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...
  9. Windows automatically adding a Public Network

Windows automatically adding a Public Network: Whenever I am creating a new Wifi connection (after resetting the Wifi Driver) windows is creating a Public Network automatically. Screenshot is attached herewith. I am having Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 Driver - 18.33.13.4 I don't...
  10. Public network.

Public network.: From the beginning that i install windows 10 i had a homenetwork (network 1).Now it is switchd to a public network (network 2).How is that happen? How can i back to my home network (network 1) ? 44257