Windows 10: Network computer name

Discus and support Network computer name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 2 computers: L and D. I want to share all files on L with D File explorer in D shows truncated name for computer L I tried to share the c: drive on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by M Cahill, Nov 30, 2018.

1. M Cahill Win User

Network computer name

2 computers: L and D.

I want to share all files on L with D

File explorer in D shows truncated name for computer L

I tried to share the c: drive on L but when I look at in in D it tells me I have to permissions.

How do I reset and start again?

:)

M Cahill, Nov 30, 2018
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Nov 30, 2018
  3. Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

The Registry steps follower that resolved the issue.

But could you tell us why it appears to select a network status name based on your past Wi-Fi network connections, and then applies it to your wired Ethernet connection?

Thanks.

Mason

masontseng, Nov 30, 2018
  4. Network computer name

Windows 10; Network Name

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the late response.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if you are able to change the network name:

1. Press the
    Windows + R keys and type
    secpol.msc, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by
    UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

3. In the left pane of Local Security Policy, click on
    Network List Manager Policies.

4. In the right pane of
    Network List Manager Policies, double click on your current network name.

5. In Network Properties, select
    Name and type the name you prefer.

6. When finished, you can now close Local Security Policy.

7. Restart the computer.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

Network computer name

1. Network computer name - Similar Threads - Network computer name

2. Network 'names'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network 'names': Until recently I could select which network to connect to, including an external device that only uses wifi and does not need internet. Now, instead of names for the networks, downstairs, upstairs, mydevice, etc., it shows Connected to local area 2, or 3, etc. I need those...
  3. Network Names

Network Names: Hallo folks! I have four internet channels.. 2 wifi, and 2 ethernet. Now, when I install the two wifi channels I have sometimes back a wifi24000 and another wifi5000. These names works perfect, but regarding the Ethernet connections, my computer is connecting to the...
  4. Computer name changes not taking effect in network view

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer name changes not taking effect in network view: My PC had some unrecognizable name like DESKTOP-AX2VB, so I went in an changed the name and description in the settings. I restarted the computer. Nonetheless, in the network view in file explorer I only see these types of names. What might I have done wrong? submitted by...
  5. Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names: Two of the three desktop PCs on my wired network are named Network 2, with the third PC named Network 4. I have researched and found ways to rename them, but before I do, two questions: Is there a performance or operational risk related to the duplicate Network 2's, and is...
  6. Windows cannot Access \\"Home Network Computer Name"

Windows cannot Access \\"Home Network Computer Name": Help. I keep getting this message along with; Windows 10 - errror 0x80070035 when I try to access the two laptops on my home network. There are three machines. The two laptops and a desktop. The two laptops can access the desktop, but not vici verca! I have ahared all Drives...
  7. Network Name

Network Name: In Windows 10, how do I change the Network Name of my Local Area Connection? Do NOT suggest I run secpol.msc, because the Windows Run command says it can't find secpol.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-name/7dece558-e1ec-4da0-8079-2370ba305189
  8. Display identically named computers in a Home network

Display identically named computers in a Home network: Hi folks Is there any way to display identically named Windows computers on a Home network -- If I have 2 computers say named asgeir then only one appears in the network map even though both can logon and see other parts of the network. By computer name I'm referring to the...
  9. change network computer name to match my administrative name

change network computer name to match my administrative name: I am administrator on this computer. My network computer says Linda's PC. How do I change it to read Linda Dattilo Administrator. How do I login as administrator? I am the only one that owns and uses this computer.... Thanks Linda...
  10. Computer Name Wrong in Homegroup But Right on Network?

Computer Name Wrong in Homegroup But Right on Network?: I have what I think is a simple problem. Here is a picture of the swapped names as I can't seem to find anybody else with this issue as I searched. [img] How do I get 1 out of 2? What have I done wrong? Thanks for the help! . . . 78489