Windows 10: Network Computers are no longer showing on my Windows 10 Desktop

Discus and support Network Computers are no longer showing on my Windows 10 Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a couple different servers on my home network. I have an UnRAID machine that I'm using for my NAS. I have a FreeNAS machine that I'm using as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ARAMP1, Feb 3, 2018.

1. ARAMP1 Win User

Network Computers are no longer showing on my Windows 10 Desktop

I have a couple different servers on my home network. I have an UnRAID machine that I'm using for my NAS. I have a FreeNAS machine that I'm using as a dedicated Plex Media Server. And, I have an OpenMediaVault machine that I'm using as a dedicated music server/iTunes machine.

Earlier today, I restarted my Windows 10 Pro desktop and now I can no longer see them under my "Network". I can see them on my Windows 10 laptop. I can also see them on my iPad and my phone, a Galaxy Note 8 running android. They're all on and working and I can access them through their respective IP address.

Things I've tried so far...

Restarted the desktop (this seems to work the best when one of the machines was missing in the past)
    Restared the servers.
    Restarted my router.

On my desktop, I have had network discovery on the whole time. I've also made sure that the DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host were still set to "Automatic".

Since I can see them on my laptop, I'm convinced there's a setting on my desktop that needs to be changed. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

:)

ARAMP1, Feb 3, 2018

2. I disabled SMB1. My network computers are no longer listed. What can I do?

Hi,

We recommend posting your concern in TechNet forums as the issue is specific to using SMB1 which they
    can handle at their level of expertise.

Regards.

Jenicel Dri, Feb 3, 2018
  3. I disabled SMB1. My network computers are no longer listed. What can I do?

Without working SMB 1 (e.g. by disabling it as suggested here), browsing for computers
    with shares using Windows Explorer will not work any longer (as expected). They are still available by using \\COMPUTER\... which, I guess, involves a DNS lookup, but they are not listed automatically.

• What graphical or non-graphical (cmd, PowerShell) ways are there on Windows 10 to list remote machines which offer shares?
    • Does running with or without a Domain change the available options?

Gameplay_Ethan, Feb 3, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey aramp1,
    It could be that SMBv1 got uninstalled on your Desktop. Just for comparison, on your Laptop and Desktop check if SMBv1 is installed.
    Control Panel > Program & Features > Turn Windows Features On/Off > SMB 1.0 / CIFS File Sharing Support

Note:
    SMBv1 is deprecated by MS and I don't know if you even need it.
    Most NAS devices you can set which SMB version they use, so you might want to check that.

Eagle51, Feb 3, 2018
  5. ARAMP1 Win User
    Thank you sir! That did the trick! I'm back in business.

ARAMP1, Feb 3, 2018
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    You're Welcome *Smile

Note: If you didn't, you may want to uncheck/uninstall the SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal.

Eagle51, Feb 3, 2018
  7. ARAMP1 Win User
    So it was checked on my laptop and unchecked on my desktop. Now that it's checked on my desktop, it see the whole network. You're saying I should just remove it and each server device will set which SMB version they'll use automatically?

ARAMP1, Feb 3, 2018
  8. Eagle51 Win User

No, I'm referring to just the SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal, that MS added to remove SMBv1 when it deprecated it.

Network Computers are no longer showing on my Windows 10 Desktop [​IMG]

Win10 SMBv1 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

Eagle51, Feb 3, 2018
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I was just having this problem! Just started yesterday.
    This solution worked for me too. Thanks to you both.

I assume SMBv1 was deprecated due to security issues. But what are we supposed to do in the meantime to see our network attached PCs and Devices?

If I turned SMBv1 off on all the W10 PCs would that also work (to bring back the Network List)?

What are the risks of continuing to run W10 PCs with SMBv1 enabled on a Home Network?

10. Eagle51 Win User
    1. Yes, SMBv1 was deprecated due to security concerns (it was patched) and because it's an old technology.
    2. You can map a network drive for shared folders.

1. Hard to say, it would depend on ALL PC's and Devices on your network and what SMB version they use.
    2. You can always give it a try and see what happens *Smile

1. All tho SMBv1 was patched (I think it was for WannaCry), there is always a risk using deprecated/old technology.
    2. With that said, IMO the risk is fairly low on a home network.

Note: I currently have to use SMBv1, due to fact that I use an old NetGear router and it's USB File Sharing which only supports SMBv1 *Sad

Eagle51, Feb 3, 2018
  11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Thanks for the great response. I'd send more reps but the site won't let me!

I prefer the old way to the mapped drive option. It "just happens" on every PC with minimal effort. Mapping drives is just another chore.
    Plus I don't like the way mapped drives show up under "My PC" instead of under "Network" (Boo hoo hoo!).

Guess I'll get to that chore one of these days.

Edit: The other thing about mapped drives: they show up even though the host PC is off. "Network" just shows active PCs.
    And that way I can see when there is a PC I need to shut down at day's end.

12. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey TV2,
    BTW ... I just remembered, you can Disable SMBv1 Server/Client without uninstalling them. So, if you wanted to test just using SMBv2 you could try disabling them on each PC first to see how other PC's and Devices react, before removing SMBv1.

Note: If you're NOT sure what the following does (and how to reverse it) and/or you're NOT comfortable doing it ... THEN DON'T DO IT

Open PowerShell as Administrator
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB1Protocol $false
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= disabled
    sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto
    sc.exe config browser start= disabled

Reboot PC ...

Reference - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-windows-and

Edit: If you try testing this and need/want help, then start a new thread please.

Eagle51, Feb 3, 2018
  13. Network Computers are no longer showing on my Windows 10 Desktop

After a fair amount of fiddling around and trial and error the following solution worked for me on a simple Private Home PC network, all windows 10, with Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home, same solution applied to each PC -

1. In 'Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features on or off', turn off or remove all SMB V1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support features completely (Client, Server and Automatic Removal).

2. Set the following system services in 'Computer Management/Services' to "Automatic/Delayed Start" in Properties/Startup type - "Function Discovery Provider Host" & "Function Discovery Resource Publication" .

3. In 'Control Panel/Network and Sharing Centre' ensure Network Discovery is turned on (for Private Networks) and ensure that 'Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices' is checked.

4. In Network Centre (Windows 10 Settings) perform a network reset, which will require a re-boot.

5. Once restarted, open an Windows Explorer window and browse the network, and re-enable Network Discovery for your private network.

This MS link was the real clue for me, after filtering out the myriad of other suggestions, please read it carefully -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

Chris

TheChrisGregory, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network Computers are no longer showing on my Windows 10 Desktop - Similar Threads - Network Computers are

2. Windows 10 Pro network will not show on network computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Pro network will not show on network computers: I installed win 10 pro and have been unable to share files or folders in my privat network.Tried lots of tips from youtube no effectAll other computers work and share just one is blocked.Help!!!!...
  3. Windows 10 Network Drives/Computers Not Showing

Windows 10 Network Drives/Computers Not Showing: I am aware of many other questions/suggestions about this. I have tried many. Sorry if this seems a repeat but the solutions/suggestions to the other entries do not seem to work, well not permanently, anyway. On two computers now on Windows 10 build 2004 laptop and 20H2...
  4. Network no longer shows computers concected

Network no longer shows computers concected: We have four computers, two laptops, and two desktops. All except my desktop show devices connected to the LAN and wireless network in the Network Explorer. I have tried everything I know to fix the problem. No luck When I run and IP scanner on my computer the devices...
  5. Portable external drive no longer shows on my desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable external drive no longer shows on my desktop: A portable external HDD - a Western Digital 1TB MyPassport - no longer shows in This PC and File Explorer on my desktop. The device does show in Device Manager. It also shows in This PC and File Explorer on a laptop (also running Win 10 1909). The PC maintenance is up to date...
  6. New computer no longer showing up on home network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computer no longer showing up on home network: I had the same problem as this guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dhn601/cant_get_network_set_up_for_file_and_printer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf I followed the instructions from u/JJisTheDarkOne & now my shared computer/drive is no...
  7. Computers no longer connect on home network Windows 10

Computers no longer connect on home network Windows 10: My computers no longer connect I have a small home network with a desktop (primary) computer and a laptop computer. Both use MS Windows 10 with the most current updates. Prior to the last couple of updates my two computers recognized each other and connect via the...
  8. Networking: Computers no longer show up on network.

Networking: Computers no longer show up on network.: I suddenly have an issue with no computers showing up on the network on one of my computers which us connected via ethernet. A second computer on the ethernet lists all computers but cannot access the first one and a third on wifi lists the first ethernet computer. All...
  9. Network Computer Windows 10 Shows No Folders

Network Computer Windows 10 Shows No Folders: A Dell laptop running Windows 10 is set up on my home network. It is seen by my Dell desktop in File Explorer under Network. When clicking on the icon for this computer, it goes to it but displays no folders. The really strange thing is that when looking at file explorer...
  10. Desktop no longer in network

Desktop no longer in network: Hi guys - here goes: Upgraded win7 to win10 yesterday on my desktop (free from MS). So far so good, EXCEPT - I can no longer print from my win10 laptop - it cannot see the printer connected to my desktop. Nor can I see my desktop in the network from my laptop, which I suppose...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 domain pcs no longer appear in network list

2. network pcs no longer showing in windows 10