Windows 10: Network Computers not Allowing Access

Discus and support Network Computers not Allowing Access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, We have a network that contains most of the computers at our facility. There are 3 computers in this network that are relevant: 1 "host"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CrecAd, Jan 11, 2019.

1. CrecAd Win User

Network Computers not Allowing Access

Hello,

We have a network that contains most of the computers at our facility. There are 3 computers in this network that are relevant: 1 "host" computer with a folder that should visible to the other 2 "client" computers (quotes are referencing that these are just the words I'm using to describe their purpose; if these are actual relevant terms I can change those words to avoid confusion). The host is on Windows 7 Pro and the 2 clients are on Windows 10 Home.

The 2 clients had a mapped network drive of the folder that they need from the host (we can refer to the folder as "DATA") that was working until 1/9. After this, they no longer could access DATA and were given an error of "Windows cannot access \\HOST\DATA" (Unfortunately at this point I did not check the further details to see which error it was giving off). When attempting to remap the network drive, an error was given saying "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: The handle is invalid." (this is also the current error). When trying to access the host's documents through the Network section in File Explorer right now, the error given is the same as the above \\HOST\DATA one, with the further details giving error "The network path was not found 0x80070035".

After doing quite a bit of googling to find an answer, a lot of settings have been changed so I'll try and list what the current settings are and what I remember changing to see if there's something I'm missing. I've tried:

*I say both machines to mean one of the clients and the host; the other client has remained almost untouched since the drive stopped working*

Restarting both and unplugging and replugging the ethernets on both machines.

Changed the connection properties in Network and Sharing Centre (don't remember which ones)

Disabled the Wifi adapter on client (host doesn't have one)

Disabled IPv6 on both computers in Adapter settings

Attempted to join a homegroup on the host (and failed, as I personally don't know the password to the homegroup that is recognized on the network)

Re-sharing different folders on the host end including unsharing and resharing DATA (also in this step, giving Everyone full permissions for each shared folder)

Flushing the DNS on the client (have not tried on host yet; however checking in the ethernet adapter properties there is no DNS server being used so I'm not sure this is relevant?)

Making sure several services were running and set to automatic in services.msc (ones I can remember off the top of my head are Computer Browser, TCP/IP NetBIOS helper, Workstation, DHCP Client, DNS Client, uPnP Device Host, Server, and possibly one or 2 more [also noticed that Netlogon is not running and attempting to start it causes it to stop immediately after, is this related? it was one of the potential solutions I saw in googling]

Uninstalling McAfee on the client and running virus scans with malwarebytes and windows defender

Changing client PC name. (Have not tried changing host PC name)

Turning off and turning on File sharing and Network discovery (With restarts inbetween)

Have not tried disabling firewalls on either computer.

For extra info, I am able to remote desktop into the host from either computer, and using "ping [ip address]" returns no failed messages in either direction. Both computers are able to see each other when they go to the Network section of File Explorer, the issue only occurs when trying to access the files at all.

If anyone could help find a solution to this issue, I've been working on it for hours the past few days and a fix would be really appreciated. Sorry if anything is confusing.

:)

CrecAd, Jan 11, 2019
  2. taward Win User

One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Jan 11, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

@dk1971
    1. Open Admin command and type: ipconfig

Network Computers not Allowing Access [​IMG]
    2. Win+X->Control Panel->Netwok and Sharing Center
      Follow the screen shot. This should disable internet access from this PC but allows access to local device(s)
      NOTE: Use the IP & Subnet Mask from step 1. Leave Default gateway & DNS Server blank

Network Computers not Allowing Access [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Ross211 Win User

Remote access to my (local) server's folders

But what if he tries to access this mapped drive when he is not on the same subnet of his server ?

Ross211, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Network Computers not Allowing Access - Similar Threads - Network Computers Allowing

2. Access to computers on a Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access to computers on a Network: I have three computers on my home Network. I can see all three computers on the Network, when I double click on the computer ICON in Networks, my goal is to drill down and see the files on that computer from a different computer. I am prompted for a User ID and Password so I...
  3. Access to computers on a Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access to computers on a Network: I have three computers on my home Network. I can see all three computers on the Network, when I double click on the computer ICON in Networks, my goal is to drill down and see the files on that computer from a different computer. I am prompted for a User ID and Password so I...
  4. Accidentally Allowed School Access to Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally Allowed School Access to Computer: I accidentally allowed my school access to my computer when I was downloading excel and clicked the enable access to a computer. I removed the account from the settings, but it is still managing my laptop after that and has made me change my password multiple times. How can I...
  5. Accidentally Allowed School Access to Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidentally Allowed School Access to Computer: I accidentally allowed my school access to my computer when I was downloading excel and clicked the enable access to a computer. I removed the account from the settings, but it is still managing my laptop after that and has made me change my password multiple times. How can I...
  6. Network access with computers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network access with computers.: Hi,I have a "main", "second", and "third" computer in my network. I don't want my "third" computer to have access to my "main" computer.Thanks,Joe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-access-with-computers/68f17aee-0c06-493c-81bf-5154592e9c14
  7. Accessing network computer

Accessing network computer: I have a desktop and a laptop, both Windows 10 Home version. I want to access the laptop from the desktop. The laptop shows up in Network in Windows Explorer, but when I try to access, I get msg "you do not have permission to access". I own both devices. How do I fix this?...
  8. Accessing a computer on a network

Accessing a computer on a network: I can see both of my computers on my network in Explorer but cannot access the files I have shared on that computer as it asks for the network credentials. What are these and how do I find out what they are?...
  9. Network computer is not accessible

Network computer is not accessible: I have a new computer. On it I am able to see all the other computers on my network but I can't access my desktop. I get an error "The desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource..." I can access the desktop from all the other...
  10. WIN10 can not login to allow network access

WIN10 can not login to allow network access: My Cloud Mirror access is impossible via logging in with network credentials for my device. I can not turn on file history in Windows to organize/ access the files from this HP8000 Elite PC. I have tried every ID and password combination I know and nothing works. For...