Windows 10: Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public

Discus and support Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Professional on numerous computers at different locations has been changing on its own to a Public Network Connection. This causes issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RandyTroutwine, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public

Windows 10 Professional on numerous computers at different locations has been changing on its own to a Public Network Connection.

This causes issues with network shares, etc.

I change them back to Private then 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, no way to know, and they change back to Public again.

Does not seem to matter if they are on a Dynamic ISP or Static ISP or whether the NIC is set on Automatic or Static IP.

What's the cause and what is the fix?

:)

RandyTroutwine, Jan 19, 2020
  2. AndreTen Win User

Network property keeps changing between public and private

Try with Group policy editor (Start, type gpedit and hit Enter)

Set properties for key
    shown in picture below. There should also be a way to do this in registry.

Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public [​IMG]

AndreTen, Jan 19, 2020
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 19, 2020
  4. 26dipp Win User

Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public

Network property keeps changing between public and private

Thanks,
    I went through the steps.
    I will report back on how long we keep the private network setting.

26dipp, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public

1. Network Connection Properties keeps changing from Private to Public - Similar Threads - Network Connection Properties

2. Win 10 keeps changing my network connection from Private to Public

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 keeps changing my network connection from Private to Public: When I use the Control Panel to change it to Private, it is changed back immediately when I leave that screen. Ditto when I change the Content key to 1 using Regedit. How do I make it retain this setting?...
  3. Cannot change network from public to private

Cannot change network from public to private: hello greetings from cloudy Scotland! I would like to ask community for help with network policy. I want to keep all PCs in private net but every time I reset PCs network changes from private to public. I tried to change network from public to private using admin account...
  4. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  5. Changing Network Status from public to private

Changing Network Status from public to private: How do I change a network status from public to private in windows 10 version 1803? * Moved from Community Participation Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-network-status-from-public-to-private/ca5e16a5-28ca-407a-be65-3d7e15a905c2
  6. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  7. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  8. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023
  9. Network property keeps changing between public and private

Network property keeps changing between public and private: This is really frustrating with Microsoft. The Network used to be stable and reliable, but it is not anymore. We have several PCs in the house and some are hardwired and some are on wifi. They used to be accessible on a private network which was set in every PC. For a...
  10. How to change network connection from Public to Private?

How to change network connection from Public to Private?: Does anyone know how to change the network from Public to Private in build 9926? It's defaulting to Public with network discovery turned off, etc, and I'd like to change it to Private. 3685

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 network changes back to public