Windows 10: Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba

Discus and support Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The network topology is as follows: [ATTACH] 1, samba server the share is public 2, pc1 win10 3, pc2 win10 4, pc3 win10 While accessing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cao ping, Apr 23, 2020.

1. cao ping Win User

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba

The network topology is as follows:

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba 882f6531-8d67-4f75-99e3-ecffd4485507?upload=true.png

1, samba server the share is public

2, pc1 win10

3, pc2 win10

4, pc3 win10

While accessing samba server from pc1 and pc2, there is no network credential prompt.

While accessing samba server from pc3, I will be prompted with the following popup box.

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba 16c52eb9-c429-4d44-85e4-dc43caaad320?upload=true.png

I can give any valid character in the user name form and login successfully ofc, it should, cuz it's a public share .

It is a little strange that why pc1, pc2 do not prompt, but pc3 prompt.

I captured network traffic to check what happened there by wireshark, the capture result shows that both pc1 and pc2 would try logon on to samba by windows account after the message of NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE, but pc3 would not try to logon on samba server, so win10 RST the connection and prompt the credential box.

I checked windows credentials on pc1, pc2, pc3, there is no credential for the samba server.

If a add a credential for samba on pc3 by windows credential manager, the prompt would not appearon pc1, pc2, I do not need to do this step

Does any one know what the problem there ? I don't want to see the credential prompt, I don't want to add any credential to trick this problem either .

Any suggestion is appreciate , Thanks.

:)

cao ping, Apr 23, 2020
  2. Arsenal Win User

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

I have a new Windows 10 Home computer and I've selected a folder and shared it. I've added Everyone to the Share Permissions list with Full Control.

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba [​IMG]

I've selected "Turn off password protected sharing" in the Advance Sharing Center.

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba [​IMG]

When I try to access the share with a Windows 7 laptop in the home it connects right away without a prompt for credentials. When I try to access the share from another Windows 10 device (Surface) there is a prompt for credentials and I am unable to access the shared folder. There are no common account names between machines on my home network.

On the Windows 10 machine which is trying to connect I have run Net use * /DELETE and removed all Windows Credentials using the Credentials Manager then rebooted both machines a few times. Still though the Windows 7 machine can access the share with no credentials and the Windows 10 machine can't access it at all.

My goal is to get the share working for the Windows 10 machine as it works for the Windows 7. Full access, no prompt for credentials. I've workaround steps that will provide access so that type of information isn't needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and any help would be most appreciated.

Arsenal, Apr 23, 2020
  3. mbratch Win User
    Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network

I have a peculiar Samba share issue.

I was running Windows 7 on my laptop. I have a file server running Linux and Samba. When I open the Network icon in Windows 7, I see my server there and I can open it and access the associated folder shares.

I upgraded to Windows 10. Now if I double click the network icon, I don't see any machines except my local client laptop. However, if I enter the UNC path to my samba server (\\myserver) into the path bar of Windows Explorer, I can access the server. If I want to add a network printer to my laptop that is shared by the server, it won't find the server in the search list. However, I can enter the literal UNC path to the printer and add it. So it has something to do with nmb I think? Not sure.

Any suggestions on how to resolve it?

mbratch, Apr 23, 2020
  4. Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba

Win 10 PC accessing a Win 10 Everyone share prompted for credentials

Here is the solution for this issue :

1 Right click on the folder that you want to share
    2. Go to Properties
    3. Go to Security Tab then click Edit on group and usernames
    4. Click Add and on the user and group window click advance
    5. Click Find Now and look for Everyone on the Search results, Click OK to close the window and OK again
    6. Give the control you need for Everyone and click "OK"

That should make that folder accessible without prompting for windows credentials Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba :)

jeremygoce, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba

1. Network credential prompt while accessing a public share path hosted by samba - Similar Threads - Network credential prompt

2. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  3. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder: Hi,I have a Windows Server 2019 Standard running as a Workgroup no domain or AD as a file sharing server. Local user account users were created and assign to different shared folder. When user try to access the folders, the Windows Network Credentials will be prompt the user...
  4. Network Credential does not prompt when accessing shared folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Weird network share issue - not prompting for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird network share issue - not prompting for credentials: Ended up having to do a fresh install of windows recently because my RAID controller gave up the ghost. Installed directly with Win10 2004. Since then I have been having difficulty connecting to network shares from work. In the past, all I would do is connect to work VPN,...
  6. Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials

Accessing shared '\\PCName\Users\Public' Prompts Network Credentials: This is a very strange annoyance. Whenever I initially try to access the public folder on a networked PC named 'WiRNS' from any other PC, I'm presented with this 'Network Credentials' prompt: [img] Note that it already says in red, "The user name or password is incorrect"...
  7. Printer Sharing and Network credential access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Printer Sharing and Network credential access: Hello: I have two desktops running Windows 10. One is a new one and I would like to be able to print from the USB connected printer on the other desktop. Problem is when I go to access my other computer which I can see, it pops up asking for security credentials. I really...
  8. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  9. Network Share - Prompt for credentials

Network Share - Prompt for credentials: Hi, I have recently gotten a Windows 10 machine. In my network I have Windows 8.1 machine with shared folders, and several other Windows 8/7 laptops with access. All those computers (including Xbox One) can see my desktop share computer and folders + access to the content...
  10. Can't access Samba shares on 10049

Can't access Samba shares on 10049: I just reinstalled after I was having issues. Everything seems to be working smoothly, except that I can't access the shares on all but one of my other computers for some reason. Most devices that aren't running either some flavor of Windows or Samba show up just fine. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network user name

2. username and credentials on this computer where to find