Windows 10: network credentials pop up when accessing another device on network

Discus and support network credentials pop up when accessing another device on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; PROBLEM #1: I have one desktop running on Win 7, one laptop running on Win 10, and 1 printer on the same network. I used to be able to access files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by molu16, Mar 15, 2021.

1. molu16 Win User

network credentials pop up when accessing another device on network

PROBLEM #1: I have one desktop running on Win 7, one laptop running on Win 10, and 1 printer on the same network. I used to be able to access files between both devices without any issue. Recently, when I try to access the desktop from my laptop, a "Enter Windows Credentials" window pops up. I tried different user name and password but none works. I set the network sharing setting to allow access between all devices in the network. I don't know why now I am required to enter network credentials. Where can I find the correct user name and password for the network credentials? How can I connect to other devices in the network without this network credentials?

PROBLEM #2: At the same time this Network Credential window popped up, I am no longer able to print from my laptop. It either shows no connection to the printer, or the printer is idle.

I don't know if both issues are connected. Any advice on how to fix these problems? I am much obliged for your help.

:)

molu16, Mar 15, 2021

2. network credentials

"Network Credentials" still pops on my other computer Gerardscave and Dadscave will not list Gerardscave in the network. Gerardscave will list Dadscave but cannot access it. They are cat 6 wired through the same router.

GerardKaiser, Mar 15, 2021
  3. Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, Mar 15, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are being asked for credentials when trying to access computers on the network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, when you are asked for credentials, you will need to enter the username and password of the computer which you are trying to access. If you are on a secured network, you can turn off password protected sharing under Network and sharing options
    and you will not be prompted for a password.

If you are unable to access the computer by entering the username and password of the computer, one of thing that I can suggest you is to try entering the Device name and password when you receive the prompt. To check for the Device name, go to
    Start >> Settings >> System >> About.

If that doesn’t work, try the steps mentioned below:

1. On the computer for which you are being asked for password, type
      command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon, and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type whoami and hit
      Enter
    You will get the name of the device, try using the name as the username and use the computer password.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

1. network credentials pop up when accessing another device on network - Similar Threads - network credentials pop

2. Accessing to company network file using network credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing to company network file using network credentials: Hi there,I was trying to connect to my company server's files and I tried to login with my account details but it showed this message: 'A specified logon session does not exist. I may already have been terminated.'I tried to edit my details on credential managers. It was...
  3. Accessing to company network file using network credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing to company network file using network credentials: Hi there,I was trying to connect to my company server's files and I tried to login with my account details but it showed this message: 'A specified logon session does not exist. I may already have been terminated.'I tried to edit my details on credential managers. It was...
  4. How do I know the network credentials when accessing another network drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I know the network credentials when accessing another network drive?: [ATTACH] I tried going to Credential manager and there are a lot of things written under Generic Credentials. I don't know which credentials should I use. I want to know the username and password.I know I can just turn of password protection but I still want to know how to...
  5. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network: Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not get to Main from Cad any longer. It asks for a Network Login which I am unsure of. I can ping both ways between the PCs. Is...
  6. Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network: I know have all of my computers on Windows 10. When I had only one on Windows 10 I could share all of the computers and their files including the Windows 10 one. Now I can only share printers. I can see all of the computer under Network but when I press on one of the other...
  7. Windows Credentials Request when trying to access another pc on home Network

Windows Credentials Request when trying to access another pc on home Network: I have a desktop PC and a Laptop on my home network. I could share file using the network and sharing option. After the 1803 update when Homegroup was removed I could no longer access the computers in either direction without the Enter Network Credentials appearing. Recently,...
  8. Remove Network Credentials Pop-up

Remove Network Credentials Pop-up: I have a pc that I have just started using and when I try to access one of the other computers it keeps asking "Enter Network Credentials". How do I remove that asking? Other computers can share with one another. How can I get rid of this credential request? Thanks 117394
  9. cant access network devices, Enter Network Credentials error - windows 10

cant access network devices, Enter Network Credentials error - windows 10: I hope this is bugging someone smarter than me I can see and access other devices through the network, other devices can see me, but cant access my files, they get "Enter Windows Credentials" which cant be passed what ive dont so far: - network & sharing center: network...
  10. Accessing networked PC - what are network credentials

Accessing networked PC - what are network credentials: I wish to connect to a directory on another computer on my home network. All was well until the 1803 update (I was able to map the required folder OK) but now I get a dialogue asking for my network credentials; name and password. I think I can set the name OK - in my case...