Windows 10: Network Credentials

Discus and support Network Credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [img] Could anyone please tell me what I need to enter for "Network Credentials" to access these shared folders on I7PC from I7HASWELL? I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeterAstle, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Network Credentials

Network Credentials [​IMG]

Could anyone please tell me what I need to enter for "Network Credentials" to access these shared folders on I7PC from I7HASWELL?
    I have password-protected sharing OFF but I am still asked for account name and password.
    I7PC has only one account, I enter the account name and password, but they are not accepted.
    (I also tried entering the one and only account details on I7HASWELL, but that did not work either. I didn't think this was the correct thing to do anyway!)

This issue arose after upgrading I7HASWELL from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
    I7PC is still running Windows 8.1.
    All shares worked without issue when both PCs were running Windows 8.1.

:)

PeterAstle, Aug 9, 2015

2. Network Credentials

I am trying to access music files on the shared family desktop from my laptop. Both are running windows 10. I can see both in the home group and I can access the laptop from the desk top. The laptop keeps asking for network access credentials or something
    like that. I have require user name and password turned off on both machines.

RachelTaylor1, Aug 9, 2015
  3. LShel42 Win User
    Networking Credentials

Hey thanks Brandon. Got it, The reason what I was doing didn't work is because she's not a User on my computer. But, I'm a user on her computer, so I put in MY credentials and it worked. Thanks for your help. It was your edit that did it for me.

LShel42, Aug 9, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Network Credentials

These things can be very frustrating, speaking from experience! Win 10 is more fussy with credentials, for sure.

Looking at that Security popup it does look like you got the NAS name in there. compname\userid is the username required. In your case, I7PC\Aileen.

If you click the Remember my credentials box, it should store these credentials. Ctrl-panel\Credential Manager\Windows Credentials will show these. You can add and edit them there as well.

Just confirm you have followed these guidelines for a start.

Edit:- fixed error in username.

5. Sorry, but I didn't quite follow your analysis!
    Do you mean that the user name I am entering, namely I7PC\Aileen, is incorrect? - It certainly fails to work.
    What should I be entering instead?

PeterAstle, Aug 10, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    Sorry, just wanted to make sure you did have the name right! Is this credential stored in ctrl panel?

If you have the correct credentials, and it seems like you do, maybe you need to re-check the sharing/permissions of those folders. Personally, I add user Everyone and give them full control.

It can work so hope you see some light soon.

7. Thanks for your help, but I can get nowhere yet.
    I am entering the correct username and password, the shares are all set up correctly, password-protected sharing is off, yet I can't get beyond the Enter Network Credentials barrier.
    Sharing in the opposite direction between these two PCs works without issue and those shares were set up just the same.
    So at a loss as to what is happening.

PeterAstle, Aug 10, 2015
  8. hugobobea Win User

Network Credentials

Hello:

I have the same issue after upgrading to Windows 10.

Network Credentials [​IMG]

hugobobea, Aug 11, 2015
  9. linw Win User
    Is HUGO the user on COMPTROLLER whose shares you are trying to access?

On this assumption, the username should be COMPTROLLER\Hugo. (See Peter's name above I7PC\Aileen).

OK, Peter's is not working but see if yours will work with the full username anyway. Until you do this, your problem is different from Peters.

10. I have managed to solve this issue.
    I noticed, while checking everything I could think of, that both of our PCs had been assigned different IP addresses to what they had previously. I have no idea how or why!
    I changed them back, using my router's software interface, to the static IP addresses they had beforehand and the Network Credential issue immediately disappeared.
    I can't pretend to understand how the change of IP addresses created the problem in the first place or why changing back has cured it, but everything seems to work now.

PeterAstle, Aug 13, 2015
  11. linw Win User
    Bloomin' hell. After all that agonising about esoterica it was a problem with IP addresses! Never thought to ask you about that.

Glad that it is working now.

12. martinr Win User
    I had a similar problem on upgrading to Windows 10. One machine could not connect to others on the network, although they could connect with it. On the problem machine I kept getting the constant request for Network Credentials, which no username or password would satisfy.

The solution then occurred to me. I had a different username on the problem machine. Rather foolishly on upgrade, I responded to the request to enter details of my Microsoft account and ended up with a username which was my email address.

My solution was to set up a new user account using my normal username, and delete the old one keeping my files of documents, favourites etc.

Having transferred the old files over to the new user account, I have lost nothing but can now access my network without having to give any passwords.

I am happier with my "new" username, but have had to repeat the personal changes which I made on original upgrade (getting rid of Bing, Cortana etc) and set up a new restore point and backup arrangements.

I spent many hours messing with Credentials Manager and Network and Sharing settings, and came to the conclusion that the former was unnecessary and that the standard settings for file sharing were fine for my relatively unsophisticated network. These settings incidentally leave password protection on.

Give this a try, if you too have usernames which don't match between machines.

martinr, Sep 1, 2015
  13. RWOne Win User

Network Credentials

Wow, I'll have to look at that too, but IMHO, if the IP's had changed, you shouldn't even get to a logon request trying to go to that machine...

RWOne, Sep 1, 2015
  14. stevetten Win User
    I was trying to access a printer connected to laptop B, while on machine "A"
    In file manager, accessing laptop"B" from laptop A, I entered my Microsoft account (instead of actual username, password) when prompted for "Network Credentials" and that connected me to the other laptop and its shared files. I did this for laptop "C" also.
    I then used the "add printer" dialog on laptop "A" to add in a printer that is connected to the laptop "B" via USB port.
    Now I can access everything and print to this shared printer.

All along laptops "B" and "C" could access each others files and these were all 3 upgraded to Windows 10 at the same time.

Seems like I should not have to create a "new" user as martinr did?? Cannot I just change the network credential on "B" and "C" to be the actual username and password??????

Again, all is working for now, but was convoluted to setup.

stevetten, Oct 23, 2015
  15. gnilwoc Win User
    Hi How I solved this issue when connecting my Blackberry Playbook to my laptop. On Playbook enable Development Mode in Security section. Note the development address, i/e \\169.254.0.2\. You will need to use the slash signs as shown.
    In Windows 10 type,run, into Search the web and Windows box, bottom left hand side. This will open a list, click onto top Run desktop app. A box will open,type in your development number, include slashes and dots, as shown above.
    This opened my Blackberry on my laptop but asked for my credentials. Tried variations of my password to no avail. Then inspiration, go to storage and sharing on Playbook, obviously enable File Sharing and Wi Fi Sharing, but and here is the answer, Turn off Password protect. Then yeahhhhhhhhhhh all my Playbook files opened on my laptop and I was able to transfer files back and forth. Good luck.......................................

gnilwoc, Nov 13, 2015
Thema:

Network Credentials

1. Network Credentials - Similar Threads - Network Credentials

2. Being asked to enter network credentials but dialog box has nowhere to enter them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Being asked to enter network credentials but dialog box has nowhere to enter them: This is new. I just ran a Windows update and since the post-update-reboot it won't let me connect to the USB drive attached to my router. Windows 11 complains that the username and password that are saved are wrong. They're not. But even if they were, I'm not given the option...
  3. Being asked to enter network credentials but dialog box has nowhere to enter them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Being asked to enter network credentials but dialog box has nowhere to enter them: This is new. I just ran a Windows update and since the post-update-reboot it won't let me connect to the USB drive attached to my router. Windows 11 complains that the username and password that are saved are wrong. They're not. But even if they were, I'm not given the option...
  4. Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?: Network connections used to work smoothly but after I was forced to do a factory reset I am now asked for network credentials in order to see shares from other Windows 11 computers on my local private network. How do I fix this?...
  5. Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?

Why am I being asked for network credentials when there are none?: Network connections used to work smoothly but after I was forced to do a factory reset I am now asked for network credentials in order to see shares from other Windows 11 computers on my local private network. How do I fix this?...
  6. Windows 11 Networking and Credentials Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Networking and Credentials Problems: I have 4 Windows 11 computers, 2 laptops, and 2 desktops. All the computers run under my Microsoft ID. I am trying to set up networking between all four computers to share their Public Folder along with the user folder to my account. Under Internet advanced sharing I have...
  7. Windows 11 Networking and Credentials Problems

Windows 11 Networking and Credentials Problems: I have 4 Windows 11 computers, 2 laptops, and 2 desktops. All the computers run under my Microsoft ID. I am trying to set up networking between all four computers to share their Public Folder along with the user folder to my account. Under Internet advanced sharing I have...
  8. Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11: Hi!I am trying to create a samba drive with an external hard drive connected to an old router Inteno DG301A and keep getting invalid credentials error when I try to access the drive through Windows file explorer. The credentials I enter are definitely the same that I created...
  9. Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11

Invalid credentials error when trying to open network samba drive on Windows 11: Hi!I am trying to create a samba drive with an external hard drive connected to an old router Inteno DG301A and keep getting invalid credentials error when I try to access the drive through Windows file explorer. The credentials I enter are definitely the same that I created...
  10. Network credentials not working

Network credentials not working: I have two computers, windows 11 desktop, windows 10 laptop both logged in with the same microsoft account, and im trying to share files over my network back and forth.on the windows 10 laptop i can access the user files on the windows 11 desktop. my microsoft username and...