Windows 10: Network discovery across account types (Local cannot see work or school)

Discus and support Network discovery across account types (Local cannot see work or school) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How can I make my pc logged in with a work or school account discover pc's signed in with a local account and vice versa on my private network? There... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Martin Guidotti, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Network discovery across account types (Local cannot see work or school)

How can I make my pc logged in with a work or school account discover pc's signed in with a local account and vice versa on my private network?

There is no documentation that i can find anywhere and even my IT guy cannot fix this.

Please help.

:)

Martin Guidotti, Mar 18, 2019

2. Cannot keep Network Discovery Enabled.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I would suggest that you change the settings in the Firewall to allow Network discovery so that the Firewall stays On while allowing the Network discovery to be enabled.

Follow the steps.

a . Open Control panel.

b. Small icons from the drop down.

c. Click on Windows Firewall.

d. Click on Allow programs or feature through Firewall.

e. Scroll the list and check Network Discovery.

If you need additional assistance then let us know.

Ruth Buruga, Mar 18, 2019
  3. Network Discovery Spotty

Hello,

For each of the machines experiencing this behavior, will you please perform the following:

• Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.

• Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

• For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network
          connected devices”

• Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).

• [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl

• Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.

• In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.

• Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.

• Ensure the necessary services are started.

• [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc

• Base Filtering Engine
          (BFE)

• Computer Browser
          (Browser)

• DHCP Client
          (DHCP)

• DNS Client
          (DNSCache)

• Network Connection
          (NetMan)

• Network Location Awareness (NLASvc)

• Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (RPCSS)

• Server
          (LANManServer)

• SSDP Discovery
          (SSDPSrv)

• TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
          (LMHosts)

• Workstation
          (LANManWorkstation)

• Ensure the network interface that is connected to the network you want devices discovered is in the appropriate network category.

• [Windows Key + R] > Cmd.exe

• Type “PowerShell.exe Get-NetConnectionProfile”
    In this output you will find Network Category, which needs to correspond to the category enabled through the firewall, as well as when Network Discovery is turned on.

• For machines with multiple interfaces, you will need to know the name of the interface which is connected to the network with the devices you wish to be discovered

• Ensure your Network bindings are correct.

• [Windows + R] > NCPA.cpl

• Right click the interface and select Properties

• Ensure the bindings are bound

• Client for Microsoft Networks

• File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

• Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver

• Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

• Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

• If any of these are unbound, try rebinding, and if that still doesn’t work, from an elevated command prompt, run
          “NetCfg.exe –d”

Hope this helps

Dusty Harper [MSFT], Mar 18, 2019
  4. Network discovery across account types (Local cannot see work or school)

Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

Network discovery across account types (Local cannot see work or school)

1. Network discovery across account types (Local cannot see work or school) - Similar Threads - Network discovery across

2. Switch from Work or school account to a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch from Work or school account to a local account: I have been using my local account on Win 11 Pro until yesterday when I connected my work account. I was able to switch between two accounts but today I'm not able to switch to local account because when I click on "switch user" it gives me a space to input email address and...
  3. Switch from Work or school account to a local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch from Work or school account to a local account: I have been using my local account on Win 11 Pro until yesterday when I connected my work account. I was able to switch between two accounts but today I'm not able to switch to local account because when I click on "switch user" it gives me a space to input email address and...
  4. Cannot remove Work/School Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove Work/School Account: Hello,I recently left my college and am enrolling for university. I had removed the one drive, office and account details for my old college account from my PC. completely as far as i was aware. Reinstalled office using my university ID because then i can have the free...
  5. Cannot remove Work/School Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot remove Work/School Account: Hello,I recently left my college and am enrolling for university. I had removed the one drive, office and account details for my old college account from my PC. completely as far as i was aware. Reinstalled office using my university ID because then i can have the free...
  6. Cannot turn on network discovery!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn on network discovery!: Upto a month ago we were sharing files between an HP and LG laptops. Now the LG cannot find the path to the HP and comes up with the error x80070035. I think I must have tried everything I read on the net to resolve the problem. I found that I can’t turn on network discovery...
  7. Cannot turn on network discovery!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot turn on network discovery!: Upto a month ago we were sharing files between an HP and LG laptops. Now the LG cannot find the path to the HP and comes up with the error x80070035. I think I must have tried everything I read on the net to resolve the problem. I found that I can’t turn on network discovery...
  8. Cannot turn on network discovery!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Network Discovery not Working

Network Discovery not Working: As a part-time IT support person for a non-profit organization I have found that correcting the issues with network discovery over the years on different versions of Windows to be almost impossible and have found ways of living with them. Now that I have managed to end up...
  10. Network Discovery not working ?

Network Discovery not working ?: Hi Forum *Smile I am facing a problem that my PC running Windows 10 cant see other PC's/Devices on my network. Idk. if it have something to do with i cant make/join a homegroup. I was told to remove a file in...