Windows 10: Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON

Discus and support Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, When I select Network Discovery and File Sharing as ON, and click 'Save Chages', here.. (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by roycejp, Jan 25, 2021.

1. roycejp Win User

Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON

Hi,

When I select Network Discovery and File Sharing as ON, and click 'Save Chages', here..
    (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings)

When I open the settings again (even immediately), the selection is back to OFF.

I even did a network reset, but the issue remained.

Can anyone advise ? Thanks!

Device nameHOME-PCProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHzInstalled RAM8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)Device ID1F58C2A7-ECF7-4174-89E7-1EE31A3D0F1CProduct ID00331-10000-00001-AA667System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processorPen and touchNo pen or touch input is available for this display

EditionWindows 10 ProVersion20H2Installed on‎13-‎12-‎2020OS build19042.746ExperienceWindows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

:)

roycejp, Jan 25, 2021

2. Network Discovery will not stay on

I have a strange problem and can't find a fix.

I've lost the ability to connect to a Win 7 computer on my network. It has worked for a very long time but stopped working after I replaced my SSD on the Win 10 desktop computer. I cloned a new Samsung 860 1TB SSD drive from the old Samsung 850 512GB SSD drive using the Samsung Data Migration software. (This worked with one other exception. I have to reauthorize MS Office)

I also have a Win 10 laptop on the network and am able to connect to it.

In the Network and Sharing Center, Network Discovery will not stick in the On setting for Private and Guest or Public areas. It is On and stays On in the All Networks area.

File and Printer sharing is on.

I have looked at the threads in this forum as well as the following threads:
    Network Discovery will not stay on - Microsoft Community
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...ring-center-in
    All of the services mentioned are turned on correctly .

I pinged the Win 7 computer and get a correct ping.

I can see the Win 7 computer in File Explorer but can't access it. (I get the window "Windows cannot access\\Win7). The detail is Error code 0x80070035.

I ran the Windows network trouble shooter and it was unable to find the problem.

I turned off both Windows Defender and Defender Firewall and this didn't fix the issue either.

This seems very odd because I can access the Win 10 laptop but not the Win 7 desktop. The only thing that has changed since it worked correctly was the change and cloning of the Win 10 desktop SSD.

Any suggestions?

dsscottage, Jan 25, 2021
  3. Cannot keep Network Discovery Enabled.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I would suggest that you change the settings in the Firewall to allow Network discovery so that the Firewall stays On while allowing the Network discovery to be enabled.

Follow the steps.

a . Open Control panel.

b. Small icons from the drop down.

c. Click on Windows Firewall.

d. Click on Allow programs or feature through Firewall.

e. Scroll the list and check Network Discovery.

If you need additional assistance then let us know.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 25, 2021
  4. Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON

Network Sharing and discovery issue windows 10 home 1909

1. Make sure that the following dependency services are started:
      • DNS Client
      • Function Discovery Resource Publication
      • SSDP Discovery
      • UPnP Device Host
    2. Configure the Windows firewall to allow Network Discovery. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Open Control Panel, click System and Security, and then click Windows Firewall.
      2. In the left pane, click Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall if you are running Windows Server 2012. Or, click Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall if you are running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server
        2008 R2.
      3. Click Change settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
      4. Select Network discovery, and then click OK.
    3. Configure other firewalls in the network to allow Network Discovery.
    4. Turn on Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center.

ShenCervantes, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON

1. Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON - Similar Threads - Network Discovery File

2. network discovery will not stay on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network discovery will not stay on: Once I upgraded to Windows 10 V 2004 OS Build 19041.208, I noticed that my file shares could not be accessed. I went into Network Sharing settings and the Discovery setting was off. I turned it on and did a save, then went right back into the settings and it was off again....
  3. Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets: Hello. I got a laptop a week ago with Windows 10. This morning when I tried to copy a document from the main PC (Windows 7) via WiFi, an error appeared "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Please turn on network discovery in Network...
  4. Network discovery does not stay on - Windows 10 PC

Network discovery does not stay on - Windows 10 PC: I have 2 windows 10 PCs - one is a Brix connected to the internet via a Fios router by ethernet. It has a USB printer attached to it. The other is a HP connected to the router over WiFi. Both are on a private network. Both can access the internet. I am trying to get the HP...
  5. Network Discovery will not stay on

Network Discovery will not stay on: I have a strange problem and can't find a fix. I've lost the ability to connect to a Win 7 computer on my network. It has worked for a very long time but stopped working after I replaced my SSD on the Win 10 desktop computer. I cloned a new Samsung 860 1TB SSD drive from the...
  6. Network file and printer sharing will not stay on

Network file and printer sharing will not stay on: I have a desktop running Windows 10. Some time back I began to be unable to be seen by, or access, other computers on my home network. I checked setting in control panel and found "file and printer sharing" were turn off. When I tried to turn them on, they would be back to...
  7. Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turning Windows Firewall off changes Network discovery File sharing on: I've recently upgraded to windows 10. I use Bitdefender 2015, and have installed the latest compatible version for windows 10, after uninstalling previous using their uninstall tool, and also doing a repair. In the Security and Maintenance panel it states Windows Firewall...
  8. Network discovery will not stay on and Function Discovery wont start

Network discovery will not stay on and Function Discovery wont start: I’m running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, fully patched with 16Gb RAM; I performed a full wipe clean install just 25 days ago. Other than this issue, everything is working perfectly on this computer. This system is not on a domain, and there is no group policy set. When I go...
  9. Network discovery and sharing turned on Windows 10

Network discovery and sharing turned on Windows 10: Hello all, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to network security and so I ask for your help. I have recently bought a new computer and made sure when connecting to my WiFi to connect to a public network and ensure that network discovery is turned off. All the...
  10. Network discovery don't stay ticked on!

Network discovery don't stay ticked on!: Hi guys, i really hope that here someone can help me! i can't activate network discovery, because the setting don't stay ticked on, i'm on windows 10 and i'm desperate!!! [img] Group Home it's working fine! 53753