Windows 10: Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets

Discus and support Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I got a laptop a week ago with Windows 10. This morning when I tried to copy a document from the main PC (Windows 7) via WiFi, an error appeared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by McYork, Sep 14, 2019.

1. McYork Win User

Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets

Hello.
    I got a laptop a week ago with Windows 10. This morning when I tried to copy a document from the main PC (Windows 7) via WiFi, an error appeared "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Please turn on network discovery in Network and Sharing Center". I did that, but it immediately reset to off.

I checked the tutorial section:
    * DNS Client, Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication and SSDP Discovery are all running.
    * Option 2 (To Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center) resets to off as soon as I close the window.
    * Option 3 (To Turn On or Off Network Discovery for All Network Profiles in Command Prompt) returns "No rules match the specified criteria.".

I've mapped the folder on PC to a network drive and can now access the documents, but I'd like to make the laptop discoverable on network as it was.

Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

McYork, Sep 14, 2019

2. Network Discovery Spotty

Hello,

For each of the machines experiencing this behavior, will you please perform the following:

• Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.

• Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

• For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network
          connected devices”

• Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).

• [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl

• Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.

• In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.

• Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.

• Ensure the necessary services are started.

• [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc

• Base Filtering Engine
          (BFE)

• Computer Browser
          (Browser)

• DHCP Client
          (DHCP)

• DNS Client
          (DNSCache)

• Network Connection
          (NetMan)

• Network Location Awareness (NLASvc)

• Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (RPCSS)

• Server
          (LANManServer)

• SSDP Discovery
          (SSDPSrv)

• TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
          (LMHosts)

• Workstation
          (LANManWorkstation)

• Ensure the network interface that is connected to the network you want devices discovered is in the appropriate network category.

• [Windows Key + R] > Cmd.exe

• Type “PowerShell.exe Get-NetConnectionProfile”
    In this output you will find Network Category, which needs to correspond to the category enabled through the firewall, as well as when Network Discovery is turned on.

• For machines with multiple interfaces, you will need to know the name of the interface which is connected to the network with the devices you wish to be discovered

• Ensure your Network bindings are correct.

• [Windows + R] > NCPA.cpl

• Right click the interface and select Properties

• Ensure the bindings are bound

• Client for Microsoft Networks

• File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

• Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver

• Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

• Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

• If any of these are unbound, try rebinding, and if that still doesn’t work, from an elevated command prompt, run
          “NetCfg.exe –d”

Hope this helps

Dusty Harper [MSFT], Sep 14, 2019
  3. My computer is not visible on network

Resetting the network settings may help reconfigure settings that may help resolve the issue. Since the issue still persists, we suggest checking the Advance sharing settings if network discovery is turned on. Follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click Network and Internet.
    • Click Network and Sharing Center.
    • Click Change advanced sharing settings in the left pane.
    • Under the Private section, make sure that Turn on network discovery is selected.
    • Click Save changes.
    Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you further.

Martin Bar, Sep 14, 2019
  4. Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets

Tried everything to get network discovery on.

Hello Plshelp123 .

Type network in the search and choose Network and Sharing Center in the list to open it.

After this select Change advanced sharing settings to move on.

You should choose Turn on network discovery on.

Save changes.

Let me know how this goes

Mark St..., Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets

1. Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets - Similar Threads - Network Discovery Network

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  4. Network Discovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network Discovery: Hi I wanted to know more about network discovery and can someone view files when turned on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-discovery/fe481712-64da-43d8-94af-2b05f88c1d13
  5. how do i turn on network discovery in the network sharing center?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i turn on network discovery in the network sharing center?: see subject https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-turn-on-network-discovery-in-the-network/a7077623-39d5-4a6f-9f69-bfade3ac6a93
  6. Network and Sharing center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Network and Sharing center: Hi I am not able to open Network and Sharing center, when I click on Network and Sharing center from control panel, control panel freezes. I am stuck with an hour glass, cannot close control panel when clicking on the X, cannot open any other programs in control panel when...
  7. network discovery

network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  8. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  9. Some updates reset the network and sharing center settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some updates reset the network and sharing center settings: Hello, It has come to my attention that some or all (not sure) Windows updates reset the network and sharing center settings. For example, if I have a small network configured to not be password protected and computers are sharing folders and files, whenever one of the...
  10. Network discovery

Network discovery: Is it safe to leave netwrok discovery on and file sharing off? Because I was just wondering if I should turn it off for my home computer since other devices have had virus before. Can I get a virus if I leave network discovery on and file sharing off, if I have another...