Windows 10: Network discovery intermittent after latest 1903 update on W10 Pro

Discus and support Network discovery intermittent after latest 1903 update on W10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Before I updated my computer and my wife's to W10 Update 1903 in August our network was running just fine. We could access each other's computers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dibblerton, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Network discovery intermittent after latest 1903 update on W10 Pro

Before I updated my computer and my wife's to W10 Update 1903 in August our network was running just fine. We could access each other's computers without a problem. After the update, it's a coin toss whether or not our computers see each other in the network listing of File Explorer. Having checked all of the discovery settings, nothing has changed between updates. All the sharing settings are open. One day it works fine, the next it doesn't and restarting doesn't change it. Any thoughts?

:)

Dibblerton, Sep 10, 2019
  2. TG02 Win User

Network Discovery Issue - 1903 W10 Pro X64

Hi all,

I have got a weird intermittent issue with a recently upgraded Windows 10 Pro PC which has been updated from 1803 to 1903. The PC shares a printer and files. Before the upgrade, their hasn't been any issue with the PC until after upgrading to 1903. Ever
    since upgrading, the computer has intermittent network discovery issues which has meant other PCs have not been able to reliabily connect to the PC and looking in network, it cannot see other PCs. The weird thing is, all required services are running and operating
    fine.

I have checked all network settings which are all in order and followed many suggestions including turning off IPV6, restarting several network discovery services and turning on SMB file sharing in Control Panel. Unfortuantely, none of these worked at the
    time so I got my saved copy of 1903 and did an in-place upgrade which reinstalled the OS but kept all user files in tact. For a short period of time, this seemed to solve the issue until the issue cropped back up again. After checking the services and re-enabling
    SMB file sharing in Control Panel, it has kind of worked but the weird network discovery issues are now intermittent meaning it just comes and goes which isn't ideal.

I am really running out of options on this one! Thinking of downgrading to 1809 maybe for the time being but it won't be long until it has to be upgraded to the latest Windows build. Does anyone have any ideas? It is running off a WiFI dongle which was replaced
    with another identical one but I can't see that being the issue. Is this more of a Windows issue or is it now more of an internal system issue?

Kind regards,

3. TG02 Win User
    Network Discovery Issue - 1903 W10 Pro X64

Hi both,

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

The issue hasn't came back now for a few days but no doubt it will crop up again soon. I will reinstall the network adapter on the PC as there are numerous old adapters installed on the PC but if the network discovery issue comes back again I will try the
    suggestions you've posted above and will post back if the issue continues.

Andre Da Costa - In this situation, all PCs in this environment are running 1903 x64 and are HP Compaqs.

Thank you both for your help.

Kind regards,

4. Ken429 Win User

Network discovery intermittent after latest 1903 update on W10 Pro

Home network discovery not working after latest W10 Update

@ gogreen

I changed "function discovery resource publication" service" to Automatic from Manual and rebooted. It worked, the machine is now visible on the network, at least for now. This is at least the third time I made a change or installed updates that made discovery work on this machine. I got six other PC's with W10 that do not have this problem. Hopefully, it will stay fixed this time. Thanks for making me re-look at the fixes suggested along the way.

I still think there is something going on with systems that were updated when the original version of W10 was released. Like I have said before in this wandering thread, this is the only system that has the discovery problem and it is the only system that I did not do a fresh install of W10?!

Ken429, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

Network discovery intermittent after latest 1903 update on W10 Pro

1. Network discovery intermittent after latest 1903 update on W10 Pro - Similar Threads - Network discovery intermittent

2. win 10 pro network discovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win 10 pro network discovery: win 10 pro network discovery does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-pro-network-discovery/19793eff-abd5-4baf-a8d4-14aecaa7f158
  3. win 10 pro network discovery

win 10 pro network discovery: win 10 pro network discovery not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-pro-network-discovery/a3344675-887f-4aea-bd46-c25c1cdd9c0c
  4. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  5. Why doesn't network discovery work after installing the latest updates to windows 10

Why doesn't network discovery work after installing the latest updates to windows 10: I have just installed the latest updates to Windows 10 Pro and network discovery no longer works. I can categorically state that the failure of network discovery in Windows 10 can be attributed to the latest updates. We are forced to install new updates which has some...
  6. W10 update 1903

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W10 update 1903: Hi My laptop has just updated to Windows 10 v.1903 of its own volition - disaster !! My data files - disappeared. Most of my apps and desktop shortcuts - disappeared. My email accounts - disappeared. My bookmarks - disappeared. My settings - disappeared....
  7. Network Discovery Issue - 1903 W10 Pro X64

Network Discovery Issue - 1903 W10 Pro X64: Hi all, I have got a weird intermittent issue with a recently upgraded Windows 10 Pro PC which has been updated from 1803 to 1903. The PC shares a printer and files. Before the upgrade, their hasn't been any issue with the PC until after upgrading to 1903. Ever since...
  8. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  9. W10 Network Discovery stopped working

W10 Network Discovery stopped working: It's always something! I have six W10 computers on my home network. At one time they all could see each other and share files, folders, devices etc. For some reason one of the systems is no longer visible on the network. The problem computer can see and share with all the...
  10. Home network discovery not working after latest W10 Update

Home network discovery not working after latest W10 Update: I just installed (yesterday) the latest W10 update that installed Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.3) and my home network consisting of five W10 PC's has been "destroyed." I do not use Homegroup. Instead, I have always set up all the drives/folders as shared on all the computers....