Windows 10: Network Discovery will not stay on

Discus and support Network Discovery will not stay on in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a strange problem and can't find a fix. I've lost the ability to connect to a Win 7 computer on my network. It has worked for a very long time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dsscottage, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Network Discovery will not stay on

I have a strange problem and can't find a fix.

I've lost the ability to connect to a Win 7 computer on my network. It has worked for a very long time but stopped working after I replaced my SSD on the Win 10 desktop computer. I cloned a new Samsung 860 1TB SSD drive from the old Samsung 850 512GB SSD drive using the Samsung Data Migration software. (This worked with one other exception. I have to reauthorize MS Office)

I also have a Win 10 laptop on the network and am able to connect to it.

In the Network and Sharing Center, Network Discovery will not stick in the On setting for Private and Guest or Public areas. It is On and stays On in the All Networks area.

File and Printer sharing is on.

I have looked at the threads in this forum as well as the following threads:
    Network Discovery will not stay on - Microsoft Community
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...ring-center-in
    All of the services mentioned are turned on correctly .

I pinged the Win 7 computer and get a correct ping.

I can see the Win 7 computer in File Explorer but can't access it. (I get the window "Windows cannot access\\Win7). The detail is Error code 0x80070035.

I ran the Windows network trouble shooter and it was unable to find the problem.

I turned off both Windows Defender and Defender Firewall and this didn't fix the issue either.

This seems very odd because I can access the Win 10 laptop but not the Win 7 desktop. The only thing that has changed since it worked correctly was the change and cloning of the Win 10 desktop SSD.

Any suggestions?

:)

dsscottage, Jan 10, 2019

2. Cannot keep Network Discovery Enabled.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I would suggest that you change the settings in the Firewall to allow Network discovery so that the Firewall stays On while allowing the Network discovery to be enabled.

Follow the steps.

a . Open Control panel.

b. Small icons from the drop down.

c. Click on Windows Firewall.

d. Click on Allow programs or feature through Firewall.

e. Scroll the list and check Network Discovery.

If you need additional assistance then let us know.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 10, 2019
  3. John Galt Win User
    Network discovery will not stay on and Function Discovery wont start

I did see that, but I've gone through it again and tried the suggestion on renaming the computer/workgroup...no help.

John Galt, Jan 10, 2019
  4. Network Discovery will not stay on

Network Discovery Spotty

Hello,

For each of the machines experiencing this behavior, will you please perform the following:

• Ensure Network Discovery is enabled.

• Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

• For each Network Category (Public, Private, Domain) you wish to have the feature enabled, click the arrow to the right of the category to expand it, and select “Turn on network discovery” & check “Turn on automatic setup of network
          connected devices”

• Ensure that Network Discovery is allowed inbound in the Windows Firewall (in addition to any other firewall in use).

• [Windows Key + R] > Firewall.cpl

• Click “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” in the left pane.

• In the Allowed apps and features scroll box, find “Network Discovery”.

• Make sure it is checked for all of the Network categories that you have enabled.

• Ensure the necessary services are started.

• [Windows Key + R] > Services.msc

• Base Filtering Engine
          (BFE)

• Computer Browser
          (Browser)

• DHCP Client
          (DHCP)

• DNS Client
          (DNSCache)

• Network Connection
          (NetMan)

• Network Location Awareness (NLASvc)

• Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (RPCSS)

• Server
          (LANManServer)

• SSDP Discovery
          (SSDPSrv)

• TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
          (LMHosts)

• Workstation
          (LANManWorkstation)

• Ensure the network interface that is connected to the network you want devices discovered is in the appropriate network category.

• [Windows Key + R] > Cmd.exe

• Type “PowerShell.exe Get-NetConnectionProfile”
    In this output you will find Network Category, which needs to correspond to the category enabled through the firewall, as well as when Network Discovery is turned on.

• For machines with multiple interfaces, you will need to know the name of the interface which is connected to the network with the devices you wish to be discovered

• Ensure your Network bindings are correct.

• [Windows + R] > NCPA.cpl

• Right click the interface and select Properties

• Ensure the bindings are bound

• Client for Microsoft Networks

• File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

• Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

• Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver

• Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

• Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

• If any of these are unbound, try rebinding, and if that still doesn’t work, from an elevated command prompt, run
          “NetCfg.exe –d”

Hope this helps

Dusty Harper [MSFT], Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

Network Discovery will not stay on

1. Network Discovery will not stay on - Similar Threads - Network Discovery stay

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  4. Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Discovery & File Sharing refuse to stay ON: Hi, When I select Network Discovery and File Sharing as ON, and click 'Save Chages', here.. (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings) When I open the settings again (even immediately), the selection is back to OFF. I even did...
  5. network discovery will not stay on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    network discovery will not stay on: Once I upgraded to Windows 10 V 2004 OS Build 19041.208, I noticed that my file shares could not be accessed. I went into Network Sharing settings and the Discovery setting was off. I turned it on and did a save, then went right back into the settings and it was off again....
  6. network discovery

network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  7. Network discovery does not stay on - Windows 10 PC

Network discovery does not stay on - Windows 10 PC: I have 2 windows 10 PCs - one is a Brix connected to the internet via a Fios router by ethernet. It has a USB printer attached to it. The other is a HP connected to the router over WiFi. Both are on a private network. Both can access the internet. I am trying to get the HP...
  8. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  9. Network discovery will not stay on and Function Discovery wont start

Network discovery will not stay on and Function Discovery wont start: I’m running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, fully patched with 16Gb RAM; I performed a full wipe clean install just 25 days ago. Other than this issue, everything is working perfectly on this computer. This system is not on a domain, and there is no group policy set. When I go...
  10. Network discovery don't stay ticked on!

Network discovery don't stay ticked on!: Hi guys, i really hope that here someone can help me! i can't activate network discovery, because the setting don't stay ticked on, i'm on windows 10 and i'm desperate!!! [img] Group Home it's working fine! 53753