Windows 10: Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer

Discus and support Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi ive installed a nas and Im on windows 10 1909, the nas will take a very long time to open in file explorer as when first connected to the network it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by harryboyd2, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer

Hi ive installed a nas and Im on windows 10 1909, the nas will take a very long time to open in file explorer as when first connected to the network it will not show how much storage is in it till you open it. When you can then open a document this sometimes can take 20 seconds or so when you go to close the document you have to wait about another 30 seconds and if you tab out of it to the file explorer or click the file it will stop responding and crash, when doing the same thing on a computer running windows 7 and an i5 650 it runs perfectly fine and without problem, its the machines running windows 10 that seem to have a problem with the nas and these were all working fine accessing their server that they were using beforehand, if ive missed anything thats vital to helping please let me know any help is great thanks

:)

harryboyd2, Feb 10, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow

1. Make sure all drive(s) cables are firmly connected.
    2. If there's a USB device connected, temporarily disconnect.
    3. From Admin command, run: chkdsk /r x: on all drives (Replace x: with drive letter for each drive
    4. still having problem, try:
      Solved File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop - Windows 10 Forums

topgundcp, Feb 10, 2020
  3. iuseword3 Win User
    File Explorer Extremely slow

My company has been having issues with file explorer one being loading file explorer is extremely slow. There are other programs having issues now but I feel are not important. To test if this was caused by user error I create a fresh install on a computer
    suffering from the slow down issues. Tested the speed of windows explorer then I ran a windows update and right after the restart my explorer started acting slow.

Operating system: Windows 10 pro x64

These are the updates that go forced to my machine:

Quality updates:

KB4457128 (2)

KB4456655

KB4457146

Definition Updates

KB4052623

KB2267602

Other Updates:

KB890830

iuseword3, Feb 10, 2020
  4. Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer

File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.

So I just took part in the Windows 10 Insider Preview a couple of days ago, and I have to say, Windows 10 is a great step up from Windows 8, they did an excellent job so far. There's just one problem: File Explorer is extremely hard to use. Not only does the file explorer freeze all the time (even on folders with almost nothing in them), when it does freeze, it goes back to the top of the folder when it unfreezes.

What I mean is that I can be half-way down a 260-count file folder, like this:

Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer [​IMG]

Then it will freeze, and after it unfreezes, it goes back to the top of the folder, like so:

Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer [​IMG]

Doing simple tasks such as moving, copying, renaming, deleting and even scrolling and clicking causes File Explorer to freeze, sometimes even when it's idle!

And what's weirder is that the glitch doesn't happen when your opening a file for a specific program (say you click 'open' in Word and you get the 'Open' dialog box where you can pick a file).

I posted this over to Windows Feedback too, but I don't think it supports user comments, so I'm posting here to see if there's any fix. If there's any fix for this, let me know. It's been annoying me for a while now.

JusMyBASSCannon, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer

1. Network drive extremely slow and crashes file explorer - Similar Threads - Network drive extremely

2. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  3. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  4. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  5. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  6. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive: I have windows 10 and these issues occur when using file explorer, moving or managing files. A. File explorer takes minutes to open or won't open when clicked on this includes using the windows search bar and any icons on the computer. B. File explorer crashes often or is...
  8. File Explorer Extremely slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Explorer Extremely slow: My company has been having issues with file explorer one being loading file explorer is extremely slow. There are other programs having issues now but I feel are not important. To test if this was caused by user error I create a fresh install on a computer suffering from the...
  9. File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow: I've been having this problem recently, I honestly dont know what it is. My computer runs smoothly, up until I open up file explorer and it basically doesn't load. It's been sitting there for at least 40 minutes. If anyone can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it....
  10. File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.: So I just took part in the Windows 10 Insider Preview a couple of days ago, and I have to say, Windows 10 is a great step up from Windows 8, they did an excellent job so far. There's just one problem: File Explorer is extremely hard to use. Not only does the file explorer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1909 issues with network drives slow