Windows 10: Network drive keep asking randomly for credentials when opening files

Discus and support Network drive keep asking randomly for credentials when opening files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm using a network drive shared with a few users with saved credentials but it keeps asking for the credentials at random when i go to open files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/oncabahi, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Network drive keep asking randomly for credentials when opening files

I'm using a network drive shared with a few users with saved credentials but it keeps asking for the credentials at random when i go to open files inside the drive.

The credentials are saved so i just need to click ok to open the files but it's quite annoying and it doesn't appends all the times

Am i missing some setting to avoid getting the seemingly random credentials request?

submitted by /u/oncabahi
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/oncabahi, Oct 14, 2020
  2. RickC Win User

Asking for Network Credentials

Sounds like a 'persistence' issue, i.e. A has the credentials to access B 'stored' with the 'persistent' flag set but B doesn't have the credentials to access A stored persistently (or it's corrupted), hence the request.

Try:

1. Open Credential Manager (in B's Control Panel, i.e. Start > Search > control > Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Credential Manager).
    2. Open Windows Credentials (on the right-hand side).
    3. Search for (and remove) any credential for A (in case it's corrupt).
    4. Use Add a Windows credential to add a new network access credential for A (by entering the network address [e.g. computername], Username and Password then click on the OK button.
    If all goes well, when this completes you can open the credential and should see Persistence: Enterprise mentioned underneath the Password field:

Network drive keep asking randomly for credentials when opening files [​IMG]

Hope this helps...

RickC, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Saving credentials in network mapped drive

Hi Richard,

Credential Manager allows you to save and manage web and Windows credentials for circumstances like network drive mapping. If you have trouble logging in credentials every time you save/open/copy/edit files, kindly try these following methods:

Methods 1: Managing Credentials

• On the search box, search and open Credential Manager.
    • Click Windows Credentials and select Add a Windows Credential.
    • Fill in the required information and click OK.

Method 2: Allowing reconnection at log on.

• Open the File Explorer and select This PC.
    • Click Computer beside File tab on the upper-right corner and click Map network drive.
    • Browse to the drive that you want to remember your credentials and check
      Reconnect at sign-in.
    • Click Finish.

Note: If reconnect at sign-in does not work, try re-mapping the drive.

Also, if your PCs are not up-to-date, we recommend updating them because these issues may happen because of some bugs on Windows, and an updated PC may address this kind of issues.

Let us know how things go.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Network drive keep asking randomly for credentials when opening files

Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Hi Steve,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after an update, you get a prompt to enter network credentials to access files over network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, if you have never used credentials to access files over network, you may want to check the network settings and see if Password protected sharing is turned off. To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to control panel > Click on
      network and internet >
      Click on network and sharing.
    2. Click on Change advance sharing settings
      on the left pane.
    3. Turn off password protected sharing.
    4. Click on Save changes

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Network drive keep asking randomly for credentials when opening files

1. Network drive keep asking randomly for credentials when opening files - Similar Threads - Network drive keep

2. Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials: Everything I log out / restart my PC I have to login to my OneDrive which I have set as Network Drive.I have to remove the "MicrosoftAccount\" part and I can click ok to connect it already has the right password in place. Clicking the "Remember my credentials" does has no...
  3. Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials: Everything I log out / restart my PC I have to login to my OneDrive which I have set as Network Drive.I have to remove the "MicrosoftAccount\" part and I can click ok to connect it already has the right password in place. Clicking the "Remember my credentials" does has no...
  4. Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  6. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used: I cannot get a third profile to map to a network drive on my laptop. Me, The administrator is mapped and working fine. 1 profileI created a new profile for my daughter and mapped the drive with no issues. 2nd profileI created a new profile for my son 3rd profile and when I...
  7. Map network drive asking for credentials when none are used

8. backup to network drive asks for credentials

backup to network drive asks for credentials: I'm getting ready to create a system image of my wife's computer. I wish to put it on a logical drive partition on an external drive that is connected to my computer and shared through our home lan. We are both hardwired to the LAN through ethernet. I can access it from her...
  9. Asking for Network Credentials

Asking for Network Credentials: I have two machines, A and B. Both run W10 1909 as local accounts. Each have the same user name and are connected to the same private network. Both appear in the other's File Explorer. A can access B but when tries to access A it gets an "Enter Network Credentials" message....
  10. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network: Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not get to Main from Cad any longer. It asks for a Network Login which I am unsure of. I can ping both ways between the PCs. Is...