Windows 10: Network drive not showing up (Samba)

Discus and support Network drive not showing up (Samba) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 x64 14393.479 External USB drive ethernet connected to my router, Samba enabled. Recently I freshly installed Windows 10. Before that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tfwul, Dec 11, 2016.

1. tfwul Win User

Network drive not showing up (Samba)

Windows 10 x64 14393.479
    External USB drive ethernet connected to my router, Samba enabled.
    Recently I freshly installed Windows 10.
    Before that whilst the pre-anniversery version, the external drive showed up under 'Network' in the Explorer tree and I could create folders and files.
    In the router nothing has changed.
    The drive now shows up, say, below 'This PC' in read mode only. Folders files, they can displayed, video can be played. That's it. I am unable to create folders or add files.
    The drive does not show up under 'Network' as before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    =

:)

tfwul, Dec 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 Nov Update and the Network Issues that Ensued.

Networking has been broken in the 1511 upgrade.

Disabling SAMBA V3 causes a loss of network connectivity to the Win 10 machines on the network. You can't see NAS (Samba) drives in File Explorer as well as PC Shared Folders with the 1511 upgrade.

I've set my NAS drive as a shared folder until MS fix this as there's a danger of seriously screwing things up with some of the fixes suggested f you aren't experienced in network protocols etc. It seems the safest option.

For MS to expect people to try to fix broken basic functionality with low-level network commands on a consumer product may be pushing the fix-it-yourself philosophy a bit too far....

BernieDouglas, Dec 11, 2016
  3. Windows 10 November Update - cannot see other network devices

The most persistent news I have on these issues is that my Linux Samba server still does not show in the Network Neighborhood on the Windows 10 machines.

My home network (Workgroup) consists of 2 desktops, 1 laptop and 1 Surface Pro 3 all on the latest Windows 10 1511 build. And 1 Linux machine that I upgraded this week to Fedora 23 and Samba 4.3.1.

The Linux machine also serves as the WINS server and a VPN server. Thus offering remote access to the Windows based shares.

After the upgrading of the Windows machines several weird and peculiar connectivity problems turned up. Machines not showing, not able to connect to shares, printers (wired to the Linux machine) not reachable. Long waits on restoring persistent shares mapping
    to drives.

I'd subsequently checked, reset and/or reconfigured all networking related settings like hostnames, workgroup name, protocol settings, etc.

End of the story is that everything is working as it should without any serious issues.

From the Linux machine I can access all the Windows based hosts and shares again. And all Windows 10 machines are shown to be part of the Windows Network.

Windows 10 machines now do show in each others Network Neighborhood. Persistent share to drive mappings work as a charm again. No gibberish output for nbtstat -r anymore. Also the Linux host, share and printers can be reached by name from all my machines
    again.

I did not disable any SMB version setting anywhere. I do even expect everything is communicating based on the latest SMB v3.11 level which is supported by the now installed Samba 4.3.1.

Perhaps here a huge benefit having a home made Linux based 'NAS' which gives maximum flexibility in upgrading and configuring. Could be much different from NAS devices with much older Samba releases embedded.

As said. The only persisting minor issue is the Linux Samba server not being visible in the Windows 10 Network Neighborhood.

HenkWittingen, Dec 11, 2016
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Sounds like account permissions. The previous account on the previous install is probably admin. You probably need to reset permissions on the external USB or try to take control with Windows 10.

wyldman68, Dec 11, 2016
  5. tfwul Win User
    Regretfully, I am afraid I have no idea how to do that... :-(

tfwul, Dec 12, 2016
  6. wyldman68 Win User
    Right Click on Folder or drive. Click Security Tab. Click advanced button on the Bottom. See Owner, see if you can change the drive to your account.

wyldman68, Dec 12, 2016
  7. tfwul Win User
    I understand what you are saying, but in this case 'properties' look different.

=

Network drive not showing up (Samba) [​IMG]

=

tfwul, Dec 13, 2016
  8. wyldman68 Win User

Plug in the USB to your PC and try this. Being a Network drive is why you can't access the data.

wyldman68, Dec 13, 2016
  9. Wullail Win User
    If I want full access on my router attached USB drive I have to log into it using my routers admin account.

Sounds like you're no longer logged into the shares using an admin account for the router.

Try entering the IP address of the drive \\192.168.1.xxx\ into Windows Explorer to see if you can force a login prompt to show.

Wullail, Dec 13, 2016
  10. tfwul Win User
    Below is the situation from the past, a few weeks ago, and now, after fresh install of 1607.
    Before it was located under 'Network' and had a different icon. Could access it like a normal drive.
    Now it is under this PC and it looks as it is a media player thing
    =

=

tfwul, Dec 14, 2016
  11. Wullail Win User
    That's normal , if you're not logged in correctly , windows will still see the DLNA media server as available and stream from it.

You still need to force a login to get full access to the drive.

Wullail, Dec 15, 2016
  12. tfwul Win User
    I give up. Forget it. Spent way too much time on this. Unable to restore the old situation for one reason or the other.
    Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
    =

tfwul, Dec 15, 2016
  13. Wullail Win User

Did you Try entering the IP address of the drive \\192.168.1.1\sda1\ into Windows Explorer to see if you can force a login prompt to show?.

Wullail, Dec 15, 2016
  14. monkeyone Win User
    Old thread but this happened to me this week and I think must be to an windows update resetting something but the following helped:

monkeyone, Mar 17, 2018
  15. tfwul Win User
    Thanks. Being unfamiliar with this matter and not being able to solve it, I gave up and actually already got rid of the drive.
    To be honest: I did not give it a try with another external drive.
    This was something falling within the category 'nice if it works', but if it doesn't, well, then the drive physically has to move between living room and my pc. Maybe I give it a try with another drive, one of these days.
    BTW and FWIW... as for the settings, with me, they read SMB 1.0/CIFS (not CIFC)
    Don't know whether it makes any difference though.

-

-

tfwul, Mar 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Network drive not showing up (Samba) - Similar Threads - Network drive showing

2. Windows 10 network drive not showing up as a drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 network drive not showing up as a drive: I mapped a network drive to letter B and it worked until I restarted my computer. After I restarted it is no longer under the PC tab with all the other drives. I can still go to the network tab and click on the system name and folder and access it that way, but this is...
  3. Windows 10 network drive not showing up as a drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 network drive not showing up as a drive: I mapped a network drive to letter B and it worked until I restarted my computer. After I restarted it is no longer under the PC tab with all the other drives. I can still go to the network tab and click on the system name and folder and access it that way, but this is...
  4. Windows 10 network drive not showing up as a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Excel files on a Samba network drive don't open

Excel files on a Samba network drive don't open: Hello! I have a Microsoft Server 2019 Standard with MS Office installed. I also have a Linux server that shares each user's ~/windows/ directory through Samba with their account when they're logged in. However, when they open a .xslx file located in the said directory, the...
  6. Samba network printer not discoverable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samba network printer not discoverable: i have been playing a lot with my raspberry pi 4 recently and i tried converting my old printer into a network printer using cups and samba. for some reason when i pull up settings or control panel its nowhere to be seen, i have checked it with other devices such as a phone...
  7. Network Shared Hard Drives not showing up.

Network Shared Hard Drives not showing up.: I've shared two hard drives over a network from a PC in my home in order to back up to them. Problem is, they've only worked once, and I had to reset the network to get them to appear. Ever since then they don't show up anymore when both computers are on and connected to the...
  8. Samba machine not showing in Network folder

Samba machine not showing in Network folder: Not sure if here or the Ubuntu forums is the correct place to post this, so I'm posting to both. I have a file server running Ubuntu Server 14.04, with Samba set up for Windows file shares. I have it all set up to do mostly what I want, but there's one odd problem that I...
  9. Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network

Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network: I have a peculiar Samba share issue. I was running Windows 7 on my laptop. I have a file server running Linux and Samba. When I open the Network icon in Windows 7, I see my server there and I can open it and access the associated folder shares. I upgraded to Windows 10....
  10. Build 10041 Samba doesn't show C drive properly !!!!

Build 10041 Samba doesn't show C drive properly !!!!: Hi there 3 Linux servers with different distros seem to be unable to read the C drive directory properly on a new Windows 10041 (Real) machine. Seems to be NO problem in accessing the other shared drives on the computer. This problem only seems to be when SAMBA wants to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant see router usb samba server under network

2. content sharin Samba enabled hard drive not showing on windows 10 pro 1803